“If any flaid, knowing the nature of Good and Evil..."

Almea and the Incatena
Raphael

“If any flaid, knowing the nature of Good and Evil..."

Post by Raphael »

The Almeopedia article on Irreanism

http://www.almeopedia.com/almeo.html?Irreanism

provides, if I haven't overlooked anything, provides exactly one direct quote from the founder of the religion, ʔirran:

“If any flaid, knowing the nature of Good and Evil, chooses Evil, I have nothing to say to him. But I have chosen the Good.”

I was wondering, what's that quote in the original Flaidish? In either the original alphabet or Latin transliteration.

Seriously, I'm not the kind of person who gets tattoos in writing systems they can't read, but if I would be that kind of person...
zompist
Site Admin

Re: “If any flaid, knowing the nature of Good and Evil..."

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:59 am I was wondering, what's that quote in the original Flaidish?
Liss flaid neck todde mellys churkysen yuunt gaar blaspo churket,
any flaid the.one know-ong.def good-gen evil-gen-and nature-acc if choose-part evil-def
If any flaid, knowing the nature of Good and Evil, chooses Evil,

ʔokem zeckse vott neck.
1s>3s say-ong no the.one
I have nothing to say to him.

ʔok blaste frett mellt.
1s choose-ong however good-acc
But I have chosen the Good.

phpBB unfortunately doesn't support the Verdurian alphabet.
BGMan

Post by BGMan »

I must say that I always hear Fladish in my head in a Swedish accent. It took a while for me to realize it doesn't even have the /h/ consonant.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Its spelling reflects those of the Germanic languages so I'm not suprised
BGMan

Post by BGMan »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:22 pm Its spelling reflects those of the Germanic languages so I'm not suprised
It does reminds me strongly of specifically Dutch and Swedish. Although, as I mentioned, the most glaring difference with the Germanic languages is the lack of /h/ in Flaidish. (Although who knows, maybe the void was filled in some of the marginal Flaidish dialects... most likely IMO from /g/, which seems most likely across languages.)

Another thing I noticed is that the digraph "ck" actually looks rather like "kc" in the Verdurian alphabet.