Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Venting thread

Post by Man in Space »

Descriptivism Prescriptivism (thanks Travis) has infected Threads now too. Don’t dare say “on accident” lest you get drawn and quartered.
Last edited by Man in Space on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 am Descriptivism has infected Threads now too. Don’t dare say “on accident” lest you get drawn and quartered.
Don't you mean prescriptivism?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:36 am
Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 am Descriptivism has infected Threads now too. Don’t dare say “on accident” lest you get drawn and quartered.
…how embarrassing. Yes.
keenir

Post by keenir »

well now both of them are here. :D
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

keenir wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:18 pm
I find it ironic that you can consider insisting on the use of the term descriptivism to describe descriptivism is in a way prescriptivist. :D
keenir

Post by keenir »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:24 pm
keenir wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:18 pm

I find it ironic that you can consider insisting on the use of the term descriptivism to describe descriptivism is in a way prescriptivist. :D
I was just referring to how both words are now present. nothing more.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Got hit with a slur today by some guy who claimed that English has stopped evolving and is now frozen. This is the first time I can recall having been hit with a slur that refers to a group I belong to.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:03 pm Got hit with a slur today by some guy who claimed that English has stopped evolving and is now frozen. This is the first time I can recall having been hit with a slur that refers to a group I belong to.
1) Sorry to hear that.
2) Is that slur a relatively recent coinage? In that case, it would be quite ironic.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:34 amSorry to hear that.
Thank you.
Raphael wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:34 amIs that slur a relatively recent coinage? In that case, it would be quite ironic.
Yes. It was against my autism (don’t know if the guy knew I had it or not though).
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

USAmerican healthcare rant incoming!

So I've been on a particular medication for a couple years now. Out of the blue (according to my doctor's office), my insurer demanded a prior authorisation before approving the latest refill. They communicated this to the pharmacy, which in turn emailed my doctor for the necessary documentation. Rather than read these emails, however, my doctor's staff just assumed what was needed was a new prescription and sent that back instead. (This according to the pharmacist explaining why my prescription still wasn't available.)

So I emailed my doctor's office and was told they were working on it and would let me know when they had a decision. A week later, now completely out of medication, I asked them for a progress report and was told the same thing. Then yesterday I received a written denial from the insurer, who said they'd asked for documentation of my kidney function and never received it. Furious, I emailed my doctor's office asking what they were doing to appeal the decision. My doctor wrote back this morning scolding me for "attacking the wrong person" and telling me to take it up with the insurer.

I am so fucking frustrated by all this. The worst part is that this is actually one of the better doctors I've worked with.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I'm of the view that we should ban private health insurance, and prosecute every single (at that point former) health insurance person responsible for things like this, and this goes for the entire hierarchy, up to the the executives who instigate such policies. Any "excess mortality" resulting from their decisions ought to be treated as murder and prosecuted accordingly.
Torco

Post by Torco »

I, for one, support the healthbiz pogroms.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Sounds horrible.

We have bureaucratic headaches with healthcare, though they're not typically life-threatening.

(My latest healthcare related headaches: convincing health insurance that dead people are actually dead takes an awful lot of paperwork.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:55 am Sounds horrible. We have bureaucratic headaches with healthcare, though they're not typically life-threatening.
This isn't life=-threatening, just terribly inconvenient. I've been using up a lot of mental energy on this that I could really use for other things.

I tried calling the insurance and they were like, "Yeah, your doctor has to call us." And my doctor responded a bit more temperately and said, "We faxed them what they wanted and we'll appeal if we have to." (Why he couldn't have communicated that without first being challenged, I don't understand.) So now it's all stuck in limbo for who knows how much longer.
(My latest healthcare related headaches: convincing health insurance that dead people are actually dead takes an awful lot of paperwork.)
Ah yes, I've had a lot of fun experience with this. My favourite part was trying to get Cook County to stop sending my dead husband jury summons. I called the office and they were like, "You need to send us a death certificate." I was like, "I got the death certificates from you. If that's what you need, just walk down the fucking corridor and get one!"

(Speaking of which, saw a news report today with the headline that Cook County is "temporarily" unable to give out paper copies of vital records, like birth, death, and marriage certificates. I didn't even read it; I was just like, "Of course, why expect local government to fulfill its most basic functions? You're just lucky the water in your pipes won't kill you.")
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am (Speaking of which, saw a news report today with the headline that Cook County is "temporarily" unable to give out paper copies of vital records, like birth, death, and marriage certificates. I didn't even read it; I was just like, "Of course, why expect local government to fulfill its most basic functions? You're just lucky the water in your pipes won't kill you.")
Does that sort of thing happen often? Is it 'temporary' as in 'some important bit of IT crashed and it'll take a couple of hours before it's back again' or as in 'expect weeks without birth certificates?'

I don't think they even report it when that sort of thing happens here.
Ah yes, I've had a lot of fun experience with this. My favourite part was trying to get Cook County to stop sending my dead husband jury summons. I called the office and they were like, "You need to send us a death certificate." I was like, "I got the death certificates from you. If that's what you need, just walk down the fucking corridor and get one!"
I work in IT and I mean, it's not that hard to cobble together some sort of API through which various government offices could check if the person you claim is dead is, indeed, dead. Instead they insist on death certificates and something called a livret de famille , which is of vital importance. Why that is, I don't know because you can come up with a decent forgery of either document in 5 minutes.
(I'm a little unfair here because they will implement exactly such an API eventually.)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:17 am
Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am (Speaking of which, saw a news report today with the headline that Cook County is "temporarily" unable to give out paper copies of vital records, like birth, death, and marriage certificates. I didn't even read it; I was just like, "Of course, why expect local government to fulfill its most basic functions? You're just lucky the water in your pipes won't kill you.")
Does that sort of thing happen often? Is it 'temporary' as in 'some important bit of IT crashed and it'll take a couple of hours before it's back again' or as in 'expect weeks without birth certificates?'
I don't recall this specific sort of thing happening before, but I'm used to a local government that screws things up pretty regularly.

In this case, they're blaming it on the death of the County Clerk, whose official signature has to be on all of these documents. (She passed away Sunday and it wasn't completely unexpected, as she was undergoing treatment for a serious medical condition.)
Ares Land wrote:
I work in IT and I mean, it's not that hard to cobble together some sort of API through which various government offices could check if the person you claim is dead is, indeed, dead. Instead they insist on death certificates and something called a livret de famille , which is of vital importance. Why that is, I don't know because you can come up with a decent forgery of either document in 5 minutes. (I'm a little unfair here because they will implement exactly such an API eventually.)
And maybe someone has proposed that here as well, but there's too much institutional inertia holding it back (not to mention a profit motive, since every physical copy of an official document costs money; for instance, a single death certificate will cost $15, plus more if you order it by phone or have it expedited).
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:27 am
Ares Land wrote:
I work in IT and I mean, it's not that hard to cobble together some sort of API through which various government offices could check if the person you claim is dead is, indeed, dead. Instead they insist on death certificates and something called a livret de famille , which is of vital importance. Why that is, I don't know because you can come up with a decent forgery of either document in 5 minutes. (I'm a little unfair here because they will implement exactly such an API eventually.)
And maybe someone has proposed that here as well, but there's too much institutional inertia holding it back (not to mention a profit motive, since every physical copy of an official document costs money; for instance, a single death certificate will cost $15, plus more if you order it by phone or have it expedited).
This also seems accurate, though inertia is also quite strong in many of these offices. When I had to order an apostilled birth certificate copy to move to the Netherlands, that was quite an... erm, "adventure", shall we say: it had to be ordered by mail, using only postal money orders (because ordering online wouldn't make the birth certificate valid for the apostilling procedure!), and given that I was born in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, dealing with the office was quite an adventure. (And not in a good way.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Torco

Post by Torco »

targeting chocolate ads to people a day after they register their spouse's passing seems profitable. With this API, I can yield an automated daily report of recent widowers to our advertising agency, so promote me.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

doctor shark wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:06 pm This also seems accurate, though inertia is also quite strong in many of these offices. When I had to order an apostilled birth certificate copy to move to the Netherlands, that was quite an... erm, "adventure", shall we say: it had to be ordered by mail, using only postal money orders (because ordering online wouldn't make the birth certificate valid for the apostilling procedure!), and given that I was born in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, dealing with the office was quite an adventure. (And not in a good way.)
Today I've learnt what apostilling is.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Torco wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:25 am targeting chocolate ads to people a day after they register their spouse's passing seems profitable. With this API, I can yield an automated daily report of recent widowers to our advertising agency, so promote me.
Interesting idea, but I think I'll pass, sorry :) If that's the alternative, I'd rather keep sending the damn certificates.