Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Venting thread

Post by Man in Space »

TomHChappell wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:57 amYour interlocutor sounds like maybe she’s dedicated to #MeToo past the point of reason. (But I’m just guessing!)
I don’t feel that’s accurate, but explaining why is to divulge privileged information and I do not want to shed light on things that should not be disclosed.

The matchmaking service cold-called me today after like a year of cancelling my membership. I had to sit there for two minutes and explain to the lady multiple times, no, I am no longer interested. I am no longer looking, I must not be a “good date” contrary to your claim as I never got contact with anyone you set me up with, also I’m in enough debt as it is thanks to medical and other idiocy, take my number off your list. She was trying so hard to sell me on it again, too. I felt bad for shooting it down but I’m not doing that anymore. To pull a quote from Dr. Robert Bakker, I’m “bow[ing] out of the Great Game”.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

My head feels like it's full of wool. I'll be in big trouble if I don't start working soon.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

So, for some reason (today, of all days), the Google Chrome version I have decided to act up: images now are grainy and totally unusable. And it happened all of a sudden! Since I have an older Macbook, I can't update it to a newer version, nor can I repair the install.

Okay, no worry: I have Safari! ...except Safari doesn't work for a number of sites, and the version of the OS I have means that Safari isn't new enough for other sites. So let's try to upgrade the OS to at least a newer version... but that just ended in a disaster, and I had to revert to the older version to have a working computer again.

I'm just so confused.

EDIT: Issue solved, for now. (Issues with hardware acceleration, but the fact this JUST happened today after so long is most confusing of all.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:57 am My head feels like it's full of wool. I'll be in big trouble if I don't start working soon.
Good luck.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Our Internet has crapped out four or five times so far this month—twice today. It makes working from home much more difficult.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:11 pm Our Internet has crapped out four or five times so far this month—twice today. It makes working from home much more difficult.
Considering that we are only on March 6th that means your Internet has crapped out quite a bit as of late...
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:23 pm
Man in Space wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:11 pm Our Internet has crapped out four or five times so far this month—twice today. It makes working from home much more difficult.
Considering that we are only on March 6th that means your Internet has crapped out quite a bit as of late...
That was entirely the point I intended. This is getting ridiculous.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Usually when my Internet craps out I power-cycle my WiFi router and usually it works again... the key word, though, is "usually".
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:19 pm Usually when my Internet craps out I power-cycle my WiFi router and usually it works again... the key word, though, is "usually".
It looks like it’s on their end. They confirmed having an outage this morning.

EDIT: 1:48 AM and it’s gone out again.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good luck, Man in Space.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

I feel like I don't find much joy in doing anything anymore. I mostly only engage in my hobbies as a means to relieve my misery. But even now I have too low motivation to engage in my hobbies anymore rather than lay in bed all day sleeping or watching videos.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ahzoh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:09 am I feel like I don't find much joy in doing anything anymore. I mostly only engage in my hobbies as a means to relieve my misery. But even now I have too low motivation to engage in my hobbies anymore rather than lay in bed all day sleeping or watching videos.
I hope this somehow gets better. Depression sucks.
Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

Raphael wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:21 am
Ahzoh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:09 am I feel like I don't find much joy in doing anything anymore. I mostly only engage in my hobbies as a means to relieve my misery. But even now I have too low motivation to engage in my hobbies anymore rather than lay in bed all day sleeping or watching videos.
I've been languishing in the pit since 2020 and I haven't been very good at fixing it. Still, I don't often reach the point where I can't feel joy in doing things.

And now I literally can't afford to be depressed and that fact contributes to it.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

My computer has decided to do the "your usb devices have disconnected" a million times to me today without anything that requires a usb actually not working and its pissing me off
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ahzoh wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:42 am
Raphael wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:21 am
I've been languishing in the pit since 2020 and I haven't been very good at fixing it. Still, I don't often reach the point where I can't feel joy in doing things.

And now I literally can't afford to be depressed and that fact contributes to it.
Really sorry to hear that. I remember my past depressive episodes and the fact that I had the hardest time working, and for that matter being unable to do anything of own (since all my energy was devoted to getting at least something at work), only made me feel worse since so much of my identity is tied up in being a programmer (and programming requires being able to think fluidly, something that is made difficult by depression).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Our heating and hot water are gone, and our landlady and landlord are on vacation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm Our heating and hot water are gone, and our landlady and landlord are on vacation.
Ugh! Now that really sucks.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Raphael wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm Our heating and hot water are gone, and our landlady and landlord are on vacation.
I would call the same service as the landlord and ask them to pay me back. I don't know what your landlord is like.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

rotting bones wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:04 pm
I would call the same service as the landlord and ask them to pay me back. I don't know what your landlord is like.
Yes. Chances are your landlord actually prefers you handle that. (though the last apartment building I lived in had some damnable arrangement with a plumbing company that would only come in every other Tuesday or something preposterous like that)The annoying part is that it's Easter weekend. Things like to break down on long holidays.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Problem is, I'm not in an actual apartment building. I'm in what different parts of the English-speaking world apparently call an ADU or a granny flat. So all things related to house management are generally handled less "formally" than they would be in a regular apartment block.
Ares Land wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm The annoying part is that it's Easter weekend. Things like to break down on long holidays.
Exactly.