Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Venting thread

Post by Raphael »

I've got a whole lot of tedious and potentially frustrating things to do today. Please send motivation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 pm lol so here's what happens when you move now
I just love it when sites think they know better than you when it comes to security.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
keenir

Post by keenir »

bradrn wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:10 pm
malloc wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:16 pm Somehow the car engine fixed itself yesterday, allowing the car to pass the emissions test and get its plates renewed. It feels genuinely strange for something good to happen like this out of nowhere and I honestly found it hard to believe at first. Nonetheless it saves me hundreds of dollars and avoids the possibility of losing my only transportation.
Great to hear! (Although rotting bones is right, this is the wrong thread for good news.)
maybe in the atheism thread as a rebuttal?
(kidding; sorry)

seriously, though, glad the engine got fixed.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Raphael wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:18 am I've got a whole lot of tedious and potentially frustrating things to do today. Please send motivation.
we believe in you! and we are here for you!

both of the above are always true.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

keenir wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:03 pm

Oh, thank you! (The dishes are done. Now comes the part where I try to get stuff done on my PC.)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:53 am
Nortaneous wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 pm lol so here's what happens when you move now
I just love it when sites think they know better than you when it comes to security.
Hot take: In the future, broken "security" will be left as the only remaining prototype for realistic horror.

---

I'm meeting my professor in a quarter of an hour.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Raphael wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:02 pm
keenir wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:03 pm

Oh, thank you! (The dishes are done. Now comes the part where I try to get stuff done on my PC.)
Good luck!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

rotting bones wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:15 pm
Good luck!
Thank you, and good luck to you, too!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Browsing for books online, I just stumbled across a volume titled "Reminiscing Our Heritage: The 70s to the Millennium", by someone named Danny Walsh. Thing is, the description starts with "This book is designed to be used by anybody working with older adults in residential, nursing and day care facilities. It provides a wealth of reminiscence material which can be used in a number of ways to rekindle memories and provide stimulating activity such as quizzes and discussion."

So, does this mean that people who grew up in the 1990s, such as myself, are of nursing home age now? As they say, I can't even.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:36 pm So, does this mean that people who grew up in the 1990s, such as myself, are of nursing home age now? As they say, I can't even.
No. Significant memories can also be laid down in one's 30's and 40's.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:36 pm Browsing for books online, I just stumbled across a volume titled "Reminiscing Our Heritage: The 70s to the Millennium", by someone named Danny Walsh.
It does seem like an odd starting point. People in their 80s today were born around 1940, so their formative memories and favorite bands etc. will be from the '50s and '60s. It seems like a no-brainer to start there, and not worry so much about the '90s.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

You all misunderstand. It's a book about how terrible baggy pants and the ERA were. It's to help nursing home attendants complain about "kids today."
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I may have destroyed one of the most important things in my life because I have to stick to my principles. I am in a very bad space right now.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:05 pm I may have destroyed one of the most important things in my life because I have to stick to my principles. I am in a very bad space right now.
Yikes. Good luck.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:05 pm I may have destroyed one of the most important things in my life because I have to stick to my principles. I am in a very bad space right now.
Is it OK that I’d want to know more?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

TomHChappell wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:02 pm
Is it OK that I’d want to know more?
I'll tell you.

I abhor cancel culture. It is murder in all but physical act. You call for someone to be cancelled, you're calling for them to lose their job, which means no money, which means no food on their table or roof over their head. Cancelling someone is literally wishing death on them. (You all are probably aware of my religious convictions. Cancel culture, in its modern incarnation, is, I feel, incompatible with my beliefs, so I refuse to adhere to it.) My close friend and I were talking about cancel culture; I expressed my thoughts on the matter, and she asked why, so I told her.

I had a friend in college. He worked at a gas station and was originally in the same major as me; we got along pretty well—not particularly close or anything. Then a girl lied to him about her age, and long story short, she skated free while he got hit with a conviction for statutory rape and for the rest of his days will be deemed a sex offender and a chickenhawk. He is not attracted to minors. The problem is that some older teenagers can pass as adults—when I was 15 I got mistaken for a 20-something, though in a much more benign misunderstanding—and he happened to be in a jurisdiction where the age of consent was not 16 or 17, like it is in most of the United States, but 18, and without Romeo and Juliet laws.

She lied to him, and now his life is ruined. He lost his job, his home, the use of the degree that he paid tens of kilodollars and many sleepless nights of study for, and his reputation. I googled him and he has basically become a drifter, flitting about from place to place because he is discriminated against. They see his conviction and they immediately think he's Jimmy Saville. He has no sexual interest in minors. People mature at different rates and the girl in question happened to be one who got done with puberty early.

My interlocutor is refusing to even entertain the thought that the girl might have culpability. I must object to that. We sometimes try adolescents as adults; some of them are capable of manipulation and deceit. She says it's "fucked up" that I have sympathy for the guy, and that "actions have consequences". I would call her out on her hypocrisy on this point but I feel that if I did so it would not be coming from the right place (I won't get into it here; suffice to say if the plank were any further into her own eye on this count, she'd be lobotomized).

She keeps telling me the burden was on him to make sure. How? Any idiot can go to Canada and get a "novelty" ID; I can go to my local high school and in the courtyard between classes there are fifteen, twenty people with hookups to fake IDs for alcohol. When I myself first tried online dating, I was catfished (probably not the correct term but it's as close as I can think) by a girl who claimed to be an adult. I have the screenshots and evidence of where she alleged her age. The only reason I found out was because her best friend accidentally blew the charade wide open. I immediately cut her off (thankfully at this point, we hadn't met IRL and nothing illegal was either sent or solicited). Notwithstanding her age, she was still above the age of consent in my jurisdiction (it's 16 here; everybody thinks it's 18 because California, of all places, mandates that, and Hollywood wins), but had I not been tipped off to her deceit I might have been harangued and slandered as a pedo myself. That's not a stink that is easily shed, and I am glad that her friend slipped up, because it saved me a lifetime of distress.

My friend was wronged, and that wrong has been compounded seven times seven by society at large. There is no justice for him, and I am aggrieved.
alice

Post by alice »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:52 pmMy friend was wronged, and that wrong has been compounded seven times seven by society at large. There is no justice for him, and I am aggrieved.
Bloody hell, that is awful.

Meanwhile, I've just spent two weeks (slowly) recovering from an ME crash, and it looked like I was returning to normal, but this morning it happened all over again. Sigh.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:52 pmI abhor cancel culture. It is murder in all but physical act. You call for someone to be cancelled, you're calling for them to lose their job, which means no money, which means no food on their table or roof over their head. Cancelling someone is literally wishing death on them.
How do you feel about firing someone because they made a mistake at their job or laying them off simply because the company no longer needs so many workers?
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

malloc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:08 pm
Man in Space wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:52 pmI abhor cancel culture. It is murder in all but physical act. You call for someone to be cancelled, you're calling for them to lose their job, which means no money, which means no food on their table or roof over their head. Cancelling someone is literally wishing death on them.
How do you feel about firing someone because they made a mistake at their job or laying them off simply because the company no longer needs so many workers?
Make a mistake or get laid off (I have experienced this latter), you don’t have a significant subset of the population pressuring employers at large to blacklist you for something unrelated to your job. It is not comparable in the way you’re trying to frame it.
TomHChappell

Post by TomHChappell »

@Alice: Sorry about the myalgic encephalomyelitis :-( That sucks.
@ManInSpace: Your acquaintance’s experience sounds like a horror story. Your interlocutor sounds like maybe she’s dedicated to #MeToo past the point of reason. (But I’m just guessing!)