Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Random Thread

Post by Raphael »

I once read a claim somewhere that, because human beings originally came from the East African savannah, we are supposedly genetically programmed to find landscapes that are mostly grass, with some trees here and there, prettier than any other kind of landscape. That sounds like a pretty silly and simplistic pseudoscientific idea to me. But, that said, I am a human being, and I do find landscapes that are mostly grass, with some trees here and there, very pretty.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just learned, from belatedly reading an old newspaper column, that apparently, during the Covid lockdown, the people in charge of the airport of Dublin, Ireland, highly paid business executives, did not predict that, once the lockdowns and other restrictions were over, demand for air travel would rise. They assumed, instead, that it would reliably stay at Covid-era levels.

Wow.

Somehow, a part of me thinks that this is even more telling as a sign of how overrated the people running the show around the world are than the economic crisis of 2008 or the antics of Musk.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Raphael wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am I once read a claim somewhere that, because human beings originally came from the East African savannah, we are supposedly genetically programmed to find landscapes that are mostly grass, with some trees here and there, prettier than any other kind of landscape. That sounds like a pretty silly and simplistic pseudoscientific idea to me. But, that said, I am a human being, and I do find landscapes that are mostly grass, with some trees here and there, very pretty.
Are we not likely to be attracted to these types of places because they look fertile and watered? Like, most people also find the sound of running water to be pleasant - is it because water = life?
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Jonlang wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:02 amLike, most people also find the sound of running water to be pleasant - is it because water = life?
Could be true. Or it could be one of those "it sounds really neat, so let's assume it's true" science-related speculations.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just saw a social media post by a major German news outlet linking to an article with tips for how to sleep better.

I resented the urge to reply with "Don't consume any news".
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

do consume carrot! is taste good and vitamin and maybe purble ^_^

yes I grew up on Internet forums circa 2000 and I still always think "random" threads are intended to work like this
Torco

Post by Torco »

do consume carrot!
this message brought to you by your local chapter of the Associated farmers of Daucus, of AfD.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Wish me luck, I'm about to make an important phone call and probably to spend a fair amount of time waiting in line.

EDITED TO ADD: I was given a different number to call, with instructions to call it in an hour.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

How did I not hear about this when it happened?

https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/19/elon- ... methrower/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Targeted ads are getting really repulsive now:

https://www.404media.co/woman-got-crema ... motherapy/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Does anyone know of a good, accessible, reasonably affordable book about Vatican II? Including the events and developments leading up to it, and the aftermath? Perhaps with some attempts to analyze what might have motivated John XXIII to do what he did?
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Raphael wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:04 pm Perhaps with some attempts to analyze what might have motivated John XXIII to do what he did?
I don't know of a book, but I think the Soviet Union's power made people reconsider what they thought God wanted.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Researchers in functional programming are talking about replacing the unification algorithm with subtyping: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3632890 My research group has spent two fruitless hours trying to piece together how the new proposed rule set is intended to work in practice.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 am Researchers in functional programming are talking about replacing the unification algorithm with subtyping: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3632890 My research group has spent two fruitless hours trying to piece together how the new proposed rule set is intended to work in practice.
I knew this was going to be from Parreaux as soon as I saw your post. I found his last paper fascinating, but struggled to understand it even after spending a long time reading it, plus having an email conversation with Parreaux himself. I hadn’t seen this one before now — but it looks like a simpler approach than the last one, so I’m excited to read it!

EDIT: Ah, actually, the reason it’s simpler is because it’s solving a simpler problem. His last one gave full principal type inference for a structural type system, whereas this one ‘merely’ achieves higher-order polymorphism.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

bradrn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:07 am
rotting bones wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 am Researchers in functional programming are talking about replacing the unification algorithm with subtyping: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3632890 My research group has spent two fruitless hours trying to piece together how the new proposed rule set is intended to work in practice.
I knew this was going to be from Parreaux as soon as I saw your post. I found his last paper fascinating, but struggled to understand it even after spending a long time reading it, plus having an email conversation with Parreaux himself. I hadn’t seen this one before now — but it looks like a simpler approach than the last one, so I’m excited to read it!

EDIT: Ah, actually, the reason it’s simpler is because it’s solving a simpler problem. His last one gave full principal type inference for a structural type system, whereas this one ‘merely’ achieves higher-order polymorphism.
I didn't see that paper. I have to show this to my professor!
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Your link is broken though. Should be: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3563304
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:35 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:07 am

I didn't see that paper. I have to show this to my professor!
In my opinion, the best place to start with Parreaux’s work is yet another paper: The simple essence of algebraic subtyping (2020). It’s a nice tutorial-style introduction to the basic concept of using polarised types to achieve inference in the presence of subtyping.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

bradrn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:39 am In my opinion, the best place to start with Parreaux’s work is yet another paper: The simple essence of algebraic subtyping (2020). It’s a nice tutorial-style introduction to the basic concept of using polarised types to achieve inference in the presence of subtyping.
Thanks. I'll read it right now.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

This may be an unusual request for the board, but…anybody willing to let me bounce an idea for a motion picture off of them? (Largely drawing on my days in the cult as an inspiration…it’s a tragedy, and I developed the idea in the midst of a manic episode I had last year, in case that is of sensitive importance to you.)