Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Neon Fox

Random Thread

Post by Neon Fox »

Raphael wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:50 am Does it ever happen to anyone else that, when you've read something that was written a while ago, you find yourself thinking in old-fashioned language for a while afterwards?
Let me tell you about what happened when I was in the middle of writing a piece in which all the dialogue was in Early Modern English.

Like I'm not actually going to start a one-person crusade to bring back thou/thee, but I thought about it really hard.
Pabappa

Re: Random Thread

Post by Pabappa »

When I was 10 years old I had just read a children's book that was written in the late 19th century and I imitated that writing style for quite a long time. Not a whole lot of difference, to be fair .... it was mostly about saying "for" instead of "because" and using old fashioned measurement terms. e.g. one sentence i wrote, as two boys are piloting their spaceship, "we had landed only a few rods from my house".
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

At around age 9 I used the conjunction 'for' in the sense of 'because' in a piece of writing and my teacher marked it incorrect (though I knew it was quite correct, thank you very much).

Most likely I picked it up from reading the Bible
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ser wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:24 pm
Raphael wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:50 amDoes it ever happen to anyone else that, when you've read something that was written a while ago, you find yourself thinking in old-fashioned language for a while afterwards?
Oh yeah, for sure. I guess it's just the normal human tendency to adapt to the kind of language you're exposed to. Maybe we could say we undergo some "dialect levelling" with old-fashioned English (or old-fashioned whatever) when we do this.
I frequently mentally narrate what I'm experiencing and I often find that I adopt the style and diction of whatever fiction I've just been reading.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Raphael wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:50 am Does it ever happen to anyone else that, when you've read something that was written a while ago, you find yourself thinking in old-fashioned language for a while afterwards?
Indeed; sometimes when I have read too long,
or seen again some work by Shakespeare I
can find myself blank verse adopting, half-
contorting syntax through inversion bold
and placing ordinary thoughts into
a weak, misshapen, iambic pentameter.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I’ve posted something that might be charitably called a blog post – it probably isn’t really structured enough to count as one. It doesn't have anything to do with my meager attempts at conworlding or conlanging. It’s just a bunch of mostly disconnected thoughts, mostly about politics. It’s here:

https://guessishouldputthisupsomewhere. ... -snippets/
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Salmoneus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:24 pmIndeed; sometimes when I have read too long,
or seen again some work by Shakespeare I
can find myself blank verse adopting, half-
contorting syntax through inversion bold
and placing ordinary thoughts into
a weak, misshapen, iambic pentameter.
I like that.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:37 pm I’ve posted something that might be charitably called a blog post – it probably isn’t really structured enough to count as one. It doesn't have anything to do with my meager attempts at conworlding or conlanging. It’s just a bunch of mostly disconnected thoughts, mostly about politics. It’s here:

Very interesting!
A few random comments:

That is indeed a difficult problem, and not one that is answered by Christianity in a satisfactory fashion.
Jesus in the Gospels is pretty adamant that God will answer prayers, if you have enough faith. He'll even make incurable diseases vanish and resurrect the dead. " Or what man is there of you, whom if his
son ask bread, will he give him a stone?" plus accounts of miracles too numerous to quote here.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone seriously believes that prayer gives any kind of power over God. As anyone who's ever prayed for something can attest, if there's indeed a God on the other hand, He'll only answer if He sees fit to answer.
Now, there's all kind of answers to that, ranging from 'you don't have enough faith' or 'ultimately God knows best' but ultimately I don't think these works.
You can't really reconcile the Gospel with, say, the Black Plague, a time when a third of Europeans asked for bread and got a lot of stone indeed.

"Sending your prayers", though, is fairly easy to explain. What people seem to miss about religion is that it's not just about God: it's about forming and maintaining a community. Eating only ritually prepared food separates you from the heathen, and praying together, or praying for someone reinforces the community. I'm not sure there's any real expectation that God would change His plans (though I suppose it never hurts to ask!) but it certainly gives a sense of 'we're in this together, we all share the human condition, and I care for you the way I would care for my own family', hence reinforcing the Christian community.

On a related note, here in France people love to complain on how Muslims are "communitarian". The thing is, the community of believers is an integral part of Islam, and indeed most if not all religions. What they're really asking Muslims is to give up Islam and to become lapsed Catholic/agnostic/atheists, people they're most comfortable with. Which is understandable to a certain extent, but you can't insist on freedom of religion and bemoan religious communities at the same time!

3. I believe the documentary hypothesis is mostly speculative at this point (it's certainly nowhere near as accepted as, say, the Q document) But I should point out that it's based on more than divine names; there are I believe differences and register as well, and specific turns of phrases. Supposedly the Priestly Source goes on quite a bit (unsurprisingly) on how awesome and important Aaron and the priests are.

Re: your points on aliens.

I'm reading a book on the Yanomamö, and there's plenty in their culture that's unpleasant, stupid or even just plain evil. Yet all ethnographers have managed to get past that. Most everyone, really, understand, that their culture is a product of their environment and that our own ancestors had not too pleasant customs themselves. Why would aliens be less understanding? If they manage to reach us, they've had a long history and plenty of opportunity for culture shock!
Even if the aliens turn out to be numinous beings dressed in togas, they probably still went through a stage where they had world wars, or damaged their environments. They'd be able to understand us.
(Besides, as I've tried to show in the Bug thread, if or when we meet aliens, both sides will probably find the other pretty unpleasant and barbaric.)
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Im not sure the practice of praying for individuals goes back to Biblical times .... the only prayer I know of that is specifically described in the Bible is the Lord's prayer.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Ars Lande wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 am3. I believe the documentary hypothesis is mostly speculative at this point (it's certainly nowhere near as accepted as, say, the Q document) But I should point out that it's based on more than divine names; there are I believe differences and register as well, and specific turns of phrases. Supposedly the Priestly Source goes on quite a bit (unsurprisingly) on how awesome and important Aaron and the priests are.
To go on a little bit. The "documentary hypothesis" is a very precise theory that says the Torah is a composition of four separate documents, called the "Yahwist", the "Elohist", the "Deuteronomist" and the "Priestly". It was the leading hypothesis from 1878 to around 1970, but nowadays, most scholars no longer believe in it: it was way too speculative.

They still believe, though, that the Torah is a splicing of separate documents — they're just more sceptical that it's possible to know exactly how many. And, as Ars Lande said, the name of God is just one clue among others.
  • Several stories seem to appear in two contradictory versions. The most famous example is how Elohim creates the Heavens and the Earth, then the animals, then man and woman; then one chapter later, Yahweh creates the man, then the animals, then the woman. It just seems weird... unless we assume that they were separate stories later put together.
  • In Genesis 12, in Egypt, Abraham pretends that Sarah is his sister instead of his wife: it goes badly. Then in Genesis 20, he does the exact same thing in Gerar. Is he incredibly forgetful? Or do we have two different versions of the same story?
  • God first introduces himself to Moses in Exodus 3. Then he first introduces himself to Moses in Exodus 6. Hmm.
  • The flood narrative (Genesis 6 to 10) is just weird: it's repetitive, and seems to contradict itself every few lines. As this page explains, we can separate it into two similar but different stories that were spliced together.
  • About the names: yes, a single author can use two different names for the same character. If the Bible just went back and forth between the names "Elohim" and "Yahweh", it would probably be mere stylistic variation. But there is a pattern here. When we see two different versions of the same story (as with Abraham above), or one story that appears to be a merge (as with Noah), very often, one narrative only uses "Elohim", and the other only uses Yahweh — at least in Genesis.
  • In Exodus 6, God claims that he never revealed his true name "Yahweh" to Moses's ancestors. Except he definitely did!
  • There are notable stylistic differences, too (inasmuch as I can judge it from a translation). The parts that use "Elohim" tend to use lots of fixed phrases and legalistic jargon. The parts that use "Yahweh" tend to be more free-flowing, more folksy.
So, as you can see, the names are just one clue. There are just too many fault lines in the narrative. Nobody would sit down and write something like that. Instead, the whole thing makes much more sense if there were at least two separate narratives that were merged together.
  • One, the "Yahwist", uses the name "Yahweh" from the very start. It has a more direct style. Yahweh often appears in person, and is sometimes surprised by what he sees.
  • The other one, the "Elohist", only uses the name "Elohim" (or "El Shaddai") until God reveals his name to Moses. It has a more repetitive style. God is more distant, only speaking through angels or prophets.
Looking more closely, scholars have seen that there are even more fault lines at play. For instance, in the other books of the Bible, the creation narrative is almost never mentioned. God often says "I am your God, the God of Abraham and Moses, the one who brought your people out of Egypt". He never says "I am the one God, the one who created the Heavens and the Earth", although that would be much more impressive. The famous Ten Commandments (who also appear twice, in different circumstances) say that the Hebrews shouldn't worship other gods, never that other gods don't exist — indeed, several passages suggest that foreign gods such Baal, Ashera or Milcolm do exist. It seems that for a long time, the Hebrews were monolatrous (they only worshipped one god) but not monotheists (they didn't think God was the only one): the first creation story in Genesis is probably a rather late addition.

All of these clues paint a consistent picture: the Torah can't be a single text, written by a single person. It is a combination of several sources, probably written centuries apart. Exactly how many sources, and when they were written, is still a point of contention. The "documentary hypothesis" was rejected for being too precise and using too much circular reasoning, but the basic insight is the same.
Last edited by Ryusenshi on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Pabappa wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:57 am Im not sure the practice of praying for individuals goes back to Biblical times .... the only prayer I know of that is specifically described in the Bible is the Lord's prayer.
There are quite a lot more prayers in the Bible than just the Lord's Prayer! For one obvious example, many of the Psalms are directly addressed to God. Actually one that immediately comes to mind re: prayer for a specific thing for an individual is the prayer of Hannah in I Samuel, some of the text of which is recorded:
Hannah wrote:O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life, and no razor shall touch his head.
I think that would fit your bill of praying for an individual (even if people don't usually dedicate their children as Nazarites anymore!)

But there are dozens, likely hundreds more prayers that are recorded throughout the Bible, in addition to times where it's simply said that someone prayed or called upon the Lord, etc. etc. without giving their specific words.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Someone stole my leftovers from the staff fridge. I'm not so much annoyed as amazed it took so long. (It's been nearly twenty years and this is the first time I can remember it happening.) Apparently the chapch'ae from the new Korean place is just that good!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ryusenshi: Thank you, that's very interesting!

Ars Lande wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 am Very interesting!
Thank you!
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Raphael wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:37 pm I’ve posted something that might be charitably called a blog post – it probably isn’t really structured enough to count as one. It doesn't have anything to do with my meager attempts at conworlding or conlanging. It’s just a bunch of mostly disconnected thoughts, mostly about politics. It’s here:

Some of the thoughts do seem quite disconnected from one another, and you might get more engagement with the later points if you posted them separately from the earlier points, because that's a lot to read through and formulate replies to.

So here's only a few for now....

1. I think you misunderstand the proposed nature of cause and effect in the case of prayer.

Well, first off, when discussing religion - like any coherent ideology - we need to distinguish between what we might call the 'reasoned ideology', and the 'popular superstition'. Inevitably, a lot of people on the ground will identify their allegiances by repeating slogans derived from, but perhaps not fully representative of the nuances of, a given ideology. Sometimes, they know this - they're simplifying for the sake of concision and approachability. Other times, they don't know it yet, but when it's pointed out to them, they'll recognise that perhaps they hadn't fully understood their own position. And other times, they'll ardently defend their position, but their position will still be significantly different from those of those we might call the 'theorists' of their ideology. [Often, how they react depends on how you raise the subject, which is why a lot of harm can be done by forcefully opposing harmful ideologies - if they think their ideology is under attack, people double down and become more extreme and intransigent, whereas if they think they're being corrected from inside their own ideology, or if they think they have an opportunity to persuade someone who is open to their ideology, then their views become more fluid and moderate.]

So: yes, sure, a lot of people have silly, superstitious ideas about prayer that would not be supported by mainstream theologians.

That said: if you know 'the right prayer', that doesn't mean you 'control' God - in the same way that if you can predict the path of a hurricane and know how to get out of its way, that doesn't mean you control the hurricane. Even if prayer were indeed a scientifically valid treatment, that wouldn't mean that people controlled God, but only that they understood (a part of them) them.

More importantly, though, in answer to your question, does a publicity campaign for more prayers make a child more likely to be saved by God, we can distinguish at least three coherent views:

a) yes, if you get more people to pray for you, you're more likely to be healed. Why would God be more likely to act if you have a more popular instagram account? He wouldn't - but flip the causality. IF God is more likely to help you, THEN you will have a more popular instagram account. If millions of people pray for you, that's a sign of God's favour, and being miraculously healed is a sign of God's favour too, so it makes sense that they'd tend to go together!

This is essentially the prosperity doctrine - those whom God loves, he makes prosperous. It's a politically odious and psychologically harmful doctrine, but conceptually it's actually pretty simple and coherent.

b) no, getting more people to pray for you does not help. God responds to prayers, but does not employ an accountant. How is that possible - if he responds to a percentage of prayers, or to certain 'really good' prayers, then by definition the more prayers are submitted, the greater the chance of a succesful one! But no - that assumes that God only responds to ACTUAL prayers.

Consider two situations: a man is dying in a desert in both. In one case, he does so on one side of a hill, in sight of a truly godly hermit; in the other case, he does so on the other side of the hill, and the hermit does not see. In the first case, the hermit prays for the man; in the second case, he does not. Now, the accountancy approach says 'the hermit's prayers are really good, so in the first case the man is saved, but in the second he's not'. This requires us to think of God, as it were, collecting prayers like a man selling tickets, handing out miracles in exchange for prayers. In this view, he acts BECAUSE of the prayer. But this is clearly ascribing to God a most unholy attitude! Instead, it's more reasonable to think that if God answers your prayer it's because God wants to help you. The hermit's prayers are great because God really wants to help the hermit. Now, in the first case, the hermit prays because he doesn't want some guy to die in the desert - so that's the need that God is answering when he saves the man (along with, you know, the man's own needs!). But in the second case, the same hermit STILL doesn't want some guy to die in the desert - he just doesn't happen to pray that exact petition at that exact time because he doesn't know there's a reason to. But God DOES know there's a reason to. And he still wants to help the hermit, who would be praying a certain prayer if he had all the facts, and helping the dying man is still fulfilling the hermit's desire, even if the hermit never actually finds out about it! And because God genuinely wants to help the hermit, rather than being some annoying jobsworth sitting back and saying "well, i WOULD help you only you didn't fill out the correct prayer form on the correct day!", God's help is not dependent on the hermit actually knowing about that specific dying man in the desert. God responds, as it were, not only to actual prayers, but also to hypothetical prayers, the prayers we would have offered if we'd known certain facts.

Consider another thought experiment: your daughter has gone on holiday to America. Some time later, you get a letter from America, in English, telling you that your daughter has been in a terrible accident and is likely to die within three days without a miracle. You immediately fall to your knees in devout and earnest prayer; God hears your prayers, and your daughter is miraculously saved. Now consider a slightly different scenario: everything happens as before, only this time, you don't speak any English. It takes you four days before you can find someone to translate the letter for you - by this time, your daughter has either died or been saved by a miracle. But because you couldn't speak English, and didn't know what the letter said, you didn't pray! So does that mean God will have refused to save her?

Obviously not (in this theology). One of the fundamental Catholic doctrines is that God never punishes people simply for being ignorant - only for being malicious. If you don't pray for your daughter simply because you're ignorant of English - or, indeed, because you're ignorant of the concept of prayer! - God won't punish you for that ignorance by withholding a miracle that he would otherwise have provided. The content of your heart is what matters to them, not what you know or don't know.

In this view, God does respond to prayers - but the distinction they make is not between 'praying' and 'not praying'. Instead, it's the distinction between 'choosing to pray' and 'choosing not to pray'. And in some way, that choice, in either direction, is already made in your heart before you have the specific facts at hand that trigger your actual prayer. By your works shall ye be known, but only because works are the fruit of faith - what matters is not your works (the prayer), but your faith, of which that prayer is simply an external and contingent manifestation and fruit. If you know that your daughter is gravely ill, and refuse to pray for her, that may or may not be something God takes account of, but the fact that you didn't pray for her because you didn't even know she was ill is not something that makes a difference. Similarly, a publicity campaign has no effect, because God knows the sincere prayers that would have been offered had the pray-er known of the need for them.

c) no, getting more people to pray for you doesn't help. God does not respond to prayers - even though he responds to prayer. Sure, God says he gives you what you ask for. But if God tells you that dogs have four legs, would you become an atheist on discovering one dog that had had an amputation? The idea that God responds to prayer is a general truth - God in general gives humanity the things that humanity asks for - but should not be taken to entail that God specifically responds in writing to every single petition, or even to a specific fraction or subset of them. Thinking that sending more prayers will make the difference is, in this theology, like thinking that if a teacher gives their pupils ice cream on Fridays, but for some reason isn't doing so today, then if you twice as many children to run into his classroom and ask for icecream, he's twice as likely to give everyone ice-cream. Well no - he generally gives kids ice-cream on Fridays, but on this Friday he clearly has some reason not to, even though he knows the kids want the ice-cream. Having MORE kids ask him for ice-cream doesn't change his calculation! In this view, God does what's best for us, which is indeed generally what people pray for, but he doesn't specifically send THIS miracle in response to THAT prayer.

Instead, you have to flip the causality again - holy people pray for things BECAUSE they're things God wants them to have, and holy people praying sincerely are led by faith to pray for good things, not bad things. Lots of people praying for something can therefore be EVIDENCE that God wants it, but it doesn't MAKE God want it. And conversely, if people don't pray for something because they haven't heard about it, that doesn't stop God wanting to do it.

Why, then, would people following this theology encourage people to pray at all, if it has no causal control over God? Well, because although they say we should ask God for things, they DON'T say we should do so IN ORDER to get those things.

Instead, they see prayer as an act of devotion. The act of petition recognises that a) we have needs we cannot ourselves meet, b) God exists, and c) God can do anything, including things we cannot do. These are all seen as essential elements of religious faith. They also believe that prayer is a form of reflection - in truly, intently praying for something (with selflessness, love, humility, and the desire to be pleasing to God), we focus our attention on that thing, and achieve greater clarity about what it is that we want, and why we want it, and whether it's a good thing to pray for or not. In particular, prayers on behalf of another focus our minds on the suffering of that other person, and our desire to heal that suffering.

So, God wants to help the suffering. And if we are good people, we will pray for the suffering. So God will in general end up helping people we pray for. But not necessarily because we prayed for them - rather, we prayed as we did because as good people the things we pray for are the things God wants to do...

--------------

2. Of course multiple people can be responsible for the same thing. Who disagrees?

However, the appearance of a paradox may be removed if we choose by being more precise with our words. Normally we would say that each person is responsible for their actions, and that if their actions are bad, then they are culpable (sans exculpatory mitigations) for the consequences of their actions. In your example, the arsonist is responsible for setting the fire, and the negligent fire chief is responsible for failing to put it out. They are both culpable for the deaths that result. However, even if the fire chief is, as you put it, "fully" responsible for his mistakes, that doesn't mean he is "fully" culpable for the consequences - he shares culpability with the arsonist.

-------

3. As AL says, the idea that we can divide up texts (and it's not just the Bible) into parts written by different authors is not solely based on the use of different names, but on a range of stylistic differences. It's always controversial in practice, because while the theory is sound, inevitably some analysts will fall victim to over-analysis, seeing things that aren't there, particular when they use their own intuition rather than mathematical models.

To take your example, though: yes, if books 1-5 and book 7 consistently refer to "Harry" and "The Dark Lord", but book 6 only ever refers to "Potter" and "Lord Voldemort", that would certainly make hermeneuticists raise their eyebrows! It would at least plant the idea that book 6 was by a different author, or perhaps the same author at a different time. Of course, if there were no other significant differences, the idea might be dropped - but if other differences were found that matched the same division, then people might well conclude that it wasn't written by one author, or at least not all at once.

-------

4. I think it's strange to think of maximum evil in all ways as being the natural state of the universe, but ultimately it's a sophistical argument anyway - it doesn't matter if we define evil as natural and require every good to have a 'cause', or if we define good as natural and require every evil to have a 'cause', or indeed if we define neither as natural and require both to have causes, because these descriptions are just mirror images of one another, changing nothing substantive.

As for why people try to address the causes of problems, it's because many problems are ongoing. If you don't address the cause of the problem, it'll continue generating the problem. Of course, you're right - again, who would disagree with you!? - that some problems continue even after the initiating cause has been dealt with, and so require remedial solutions. But if you don't remove the initiating cause, then the remedial solutions will achieve nothing.

[that said, again I think greater precision would be helpful. When you talk about 'removing' the cause... causes are now usually thought to be events, not objects, so the cause of everything has, as it were, already been removed by time (the main alternative is to say that causes are facts, or fact-like things, which are transcendent, and hence not, as it were, ever 'here' to be removed in the first place). The important distinction is therefore between repeated events, which have repeated consequences - in which case the repeated cause ought to be prevented - and singular events, which, having occurred once, can no longer be prevented, but only remedied.]

(((FWIW, the impression I've always had of you is that you're a moderate conservative, who doesn't like to think of himself that way due to some incidental dislike of the Republican Party)))

----------

5. Yes, mass action is exhilerating and sometimes necessary, but often dangerous to both society and to the reason, and easily subverted.

-----------

6. Well, it's perhaps a little more nuanced than you give it credit. Sure, everyone has someone to the left of them and someone to the right - but if you find that the only people attacking you from the left are a crazed fringe of half-sane radicals, then you yourself may be too far to the left, whereas if you're often criticised by seemingly moderate people on both sides, you're likely to be somewhere in the centre (whether that's good or bad). Or, of course, extreme in a different dimension.

Regarding 'sides' - well, every issue only has four sides: yes, no, yes and no, and neither yes nor no. For most political issues, the first two cover the vast majority of the spectrum and are fairly closely balanced (which is why they are political issues). Of course, one issue is that many issues are not issues, but bundles of related issues - but good interviewing tries to address one question at a time (while still doing justice to the truth).

What you present as the other side of course depends on what message you want to convey. But if you are a fair interviewer, you try to pick voices that are broadly representative of the debate as it stands on the ground. If most people, or the most powerful people, on the right on a given issue are on the far right, you have a person who is from the far right (if that's not otherwise morally disallowed); if most people, or the most powerful people, on the right on a given issue are moderates, you have an interviewee who is moderate. When the question is a political question, the intention of the honest reporter is to accurately report and explain the views driving the actual political question.

--------

7. You're confusing two different political dimensions. Being left or right is not directly related to support for hierarchical structures - Stalin, for instance, was very left-wing, but also very keen on hierarchy. Milton Friedman was very right-wing, but also very against hierarchy.

The rest here seems like a religious position rather than a political one - the inadequacy of any possible test can only be an article of faith (many tests have not been tested). But it's hard to know what you mean exactly. You adopt the - certainly rather conservative! - position that some people are inferior, but you don't explain why or in what way I'm inferior to you - in what way are you 'great' and I just 'suck'? These are not very precise ethical terms!

------------

I'll come back to this later.
Last edited by Salmoneus on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Big brain dump about the traditional documentary hypothesis. It was formulated in the late 19th Century by German scholars, such as Johann Karl Wilhelm Vatke and Julius Wellhausen. For a recent defence of the traditional version, see Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman.

So, the documentary hypothesis sees four different sources for the Torah.
  • The Yahwist (or Jehovist, often called J for short) is the oldest one, written in the Southern Kingdom of Judea, maybe in the 9th century BCE. As I said, it has a more lively style, only uses the name Yahweh for God, who seems more human (he often appears in person and doesn't always know everything). Parts that come from J: the second creation story (with Adam and Eve), one version of the Flood, the tower of Babel, one version of the story of Abraham and his descendents (Jacob, Joseph etc), and some narrative parts in Exodus and Numbers.
  • The Elohist (E) was written in the Northern Kingdom of Israel, maybe in the 8th century, not long before the Assyrian conquest. It uses the name "Elohim" before the revelation to Moses. It has another version of the Patriarchs cycle, some legislative parts and some narrative parts (like the Golden Calf) in Exodus and Numbers.
  • The Deuteronomist (D) includes, well, Deuteronomy. It was probably written under king Josiah, in the 7th century as mentioned in 2 Kings[!]: the narrative say that some priests discovered a hidden copy of the Law, but most probably, they actually wrote it then. One strong clue for that: in the books of Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings, even righteous characters seem to routinely break the laws of Deuteronomy, and God doesn't see anything wrong with that. For instance Deuteronomy insists that sacrifices have to be brought to the Temple of Jerusalem; but previous heroes often did sacrifices elsewhere.
    Incidentally, Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings have a similar style to Deuteronomy, and may have been written at the same time: these books are often called the Deuteronomic history. On the other hand, Chronicles seems more similar to the Priestly source.
  • Finally, the Priestly (P) source was written during the Exile, by priests (as the name indicates). Like the Elohist, it uses the name "Elohim" (or occasionally "El Shaddai") before the revelation to Moses, and "Yahweh" afterwards; it presents God as a more distant presence, never appearing in person, but only speaking through prophets and angels. It has a distinctive style based on fixed repeated phrases: "On the Nth day, Elohim created X. And he saw that it was good" and so on. It has a clear focus on the clergy and on ritual. It was a complete narrative, from creation to the arrival in Canaan. It includes the first creation story, a version of the Patriarch cycle, an Exodus narrative, and a lot of purity laws (including all of Leviticus).
This is an interesting theory. Unfortunately, it is full of holes.
  • The existence of a Priestly source seems the most solid: it has a very distinctive style, with fixed phrases, long inventories, an emphasis on ritualism and the clergy, and a consistent use of divine names. The time of writing seems fairly clear too. During the Exile, the Judeans had to reinvent their identity: instead of being one people defined by its language, its king, and its temple, they had to become a religion defined by its God. This is the moment when monolatry first became monotheism (though it didn't happen overnight and they were some setbacks). Most scholars agree that there was indeed something like the Priestly document.
  • On the other hand, evidence for the Elohist source is incredibly sketchy. There are, indeed, a few chapters in Genesis which use "Elohim" but don't seem to be Priestly (and even then, one of them mentions "Yahweh" once or twice, which suggests that stylistic variations did exist). But after God appears to Moses, everybody uses "Yahweh" anyway. Attribution of some chapters to an "Elohist" source becomes purely circular. (The "Elohist" source was written in the Northern Kingdom. How do you know that? Well, the Elohist chapters often mention places from the North. But how do you know which chapters are Elohist? Why, they're the ones that mention places from the North, of course!)
  • Deuteronomy itself does show signs of at least two redactions. The oldest stratum may indeed go back to Josiah, but the final version is probably post-exilic. The Deuteronomic history wasn't written all at once, either. Like the flood story, David vs Goliath is clearly a mix of two versions. (Why is Goliath introduced twice? Why does David need two separate reasons to accept the challenge? Why does David kill Goliath with a single stone, then stuns him and kills him with his own sword? Why doesn't Saul recognize David even though he appointed him as armor-bearer the previous chapter?)
  • As for the Yahwist, it may not be a single source at all. Some parts may be very old indeed.[%] Some parts, however, seem to reflect post-exilic concerns, and are probably contemporary with the last post-exilic revision.
[!] There is little doubt that most of 2 Kings is actually historical. Several kings are mentioned in archeological sources from the Assyrians or the Babylonians, and the chronology mostly fits. Besides, after the death of Elisha, this book shows nothing supernatural: the narrator sees the hand of God behind every victory or defeat, but apparently the days where God would simply make thousands of enemies disappear in a single moment were over. Besides, in spite of his obvious theological bias, the narrator can hardly conceal a few inconvenient truths: he excoriates Manasseh for his apostasy, but can't hide that he had, in fact, a long and prosperous reign; he lionizes Josiah for his religious reforms, but can't hide that these reforms were short-lived, and that Josiah died in a humiliating defeat.

[%] In Aux Origines de la Torah by Finkelstein and Römer (sorry, I don't have an English source), it is pointed that the Abraham cycle mentions sanctuaries such as Machpelah, Jacob mentions a settlement called Penuel near the river Jabbok, and Joshua mentions a sanctuary in Silo. Archaeology shows that these settlements existed, but were destroyed as early as the 10th century BCE. Which means that some oral traditions were as old as the 10th century. On the other hands, other parts of the cycle mention cities that were built much later. Again, it's a mess.

-------

Overall, the "documentary hypothesis" (in its strictest sense) reflects a 19th century view of history. The overall narrative was that Yahweh worship started as a folksy, lively religion; but later priests turned it into dull, bureaucratic ritualism. Which has nothing to do with the scholars' personal prejudices, of course. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with the Christian conceit that Jews perverted the true religion by focusing on the letter of the Law instead of its spirit, no sir, nothing to do at all.

So, modern scholarship has mostly rejected the traditional documentary hypothesis. But, I must reiterate, there are many, many clues that the Bible was written in several steps and shows several layers of combinations, mergers and rewrites. It's just impossible to know precisely how many layers there are, when they were written, and to which layer every single paragraph belongs.
Last edited by Ryusenshi on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

On prayer, I'd suggest two things, one cynical, one spiritual.

First: gods are basically kings. They have enormous power, enormous pride, and enormous whimsicality. They can generally be assumed to be in favor of peace and prosperity, but they can and will put people to death if they like. One of the things you can do with a king is— very politely and carefully— petition them. And if you have to have a king, it's certainly better to have one you can make requests of! I don't think anyone worries that the ability to make a polite request of the king gives you power over him.

We often talk as if "real" or proper religion is the highly theologized version, while popular religion is a sloppy and nonsensical degradation of this. I think this is backwards: the popular religion comes first, based on metaphors like kingship and parenthood; later scholars sit around and work out a rationalized version. Deciding that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent is, to be frank, one of the scholars' more boneheaded moves. It creates more problems than it solves, and in the case of Judaism and Christianity, contradicts much of the Bible narrative. You can try to theologize this particular issue, but ultimately it doesn't make much sense to have a god who knows everything, but things have to be brought to his attention.

Second: humility is a virtue, and worth cultivating. Prayer is the opposite of hubris; it's recognizing that we can't solve all our problems, and are not inherently entitled to a solution from the cosmos. From this point of view, it would be terrible to get assurance that gods grant all our prayers, since that would make prayer more into a catalog fulfillment system than an expression of submission.

("Submission" has kind of a bad rep these days... who wants to be submitted?? But we're not talking about submission to other humans, and looking at the universe as if it were a a human political actor isn't very useful. Religion deals with all the big things humans don't control.)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote:My political views are to some extent all over the place. On the whole, I’d describe myself as close to the Left, but not a part of it. While I’m more or less left-leaning on most issues, there are some points where I disagree with the Left, and one of them is that I’m generally skeptical about the left-wing idea – or at least I think it is a left-wing idea – that we should try to solve problems by looking for, identifying, and then, as much as possible, removing the causes of these problems.
On the political stuff in general, my impression is that you consume a lot of news, react to the items individually, and don't have a coherent ideology. So you're much more informed than most people, but not very interested in activism or political science. You have decent personal values, so you're likely to dislike injustice, but you're not very sympathetic to people who get really heated up over it.

You may well ask, why have an ideology? Ideologies are stupid!

And in many ways they are, but what an ideology offers is a consistent set of principles, a deeper analysis of our political environment, and deeper knowledge of (at least one set of) historical actors.

To put it bluntly, a lot of the political observations in this blog entry are extremely simplistic. The above statement is typical: that leftism is a matter of solving problems by "identifying [and] removing the causes of these problems." I'd identify as leftist, and this statement, and the following critique, has pretty much nothing do do with how I see politics. It's as if you've noticed that people talk about events in the past, but you don't understand why they bother. Why should "a political decision made by the British Government in 1887" matter?

There's a bunch of reasons we might look at 1887. Without going into particular cases, it might be:
* because some bad law was written at that time, and still has bad effects today
* because the political situation then resembled ours in some way, and the successes/mistakes of that time are worth looking at
* because some situation dates back at least that far, probably showing that the issue is complicated
* because modern positions are often unconsciously echoes or developments of 19th century ideas and looking at the originals clarifies things
* because events of that time created a current injustice
* because some term we take for granted was defined at that time

Or take this statement:
I don’t get why opponents of capitalism in the 21st century feel such a strong need to defend 19th century theorists or 20th century dictators.
Who does this? Is this supposed to be true of Bernie Sanders, or Jeremy Corbyn, or Olivier Faure, or Piketty, or Jacobin, or Twitter memes, or what? Have you read Marx, or any book-length treatment of him, or a book by any 21st century Marxist? Or from other anti-capitalist tendencies, such as Anarchism?

Now, obviously no 19th century text should be taken as unquestionable. But without even being a Marxist, I'd say that your dismissal is careless. Are you sure that Marx had only the classes of "dispossessed industrial laborers" and "rich capitalists"? Surely you've heard socialists talking about "bourgeois" and "petty bourgeois" and "lumpenproletariat"? And granted that the middle class is a thing that Marx recognized, are you sure his predictions of inequality are so wrong? Piketty's Capital in the Twenty-First Century is a very careful demonstration of the inequality of wealth as it's risen and fallen over the last two centuries in the US and Europe.

There are certainly a few unreconstructed Stalinists around— the DSA term for them is "tankies." I'd say most anti-capitalists I know are against the tankies and fervently for democracy— their critique of the US is that it need more, not less democracy. I have my own criticisms of them, one being that they can't always recognize and explain the problems of previous socialist movements. And I recognize that maybe German socialists are different. But you know enough about the US and Britain, at least, to know that not all socialists are Stalinists. (There are also practical reasons to cooperate with tankies: they're often very valuable activists, so long as you don't give them any real power in your organization.)

I don't want you to dismiss this as "oh, he's mad that I got his ideology wrong." I think you got the other ideologies wrong too! Your view of right-wingers is reductionistic too. They're by no means just people who go "capitalism, rah rah rah!" It's important to distinguish the overall faction, too: religious conservatives, free-market businessmen, libertarians, ethnic nationalist/populists, etc; these all have their own sets of values and don't always like each other. (And that's just in the US; neither Tories nor Ukippers fit neatly into these categories.)

This may all come across as more negative than it should. If you were still a smart teenager, I'd say your blog entry was brilliant. And the root problem is correctable: you need to read less news, and more books.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Just a couple of comments I'd make...
zompist wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:15 pm You may well ask, why have an ideology? Ideologies are stupid!

And in many ways they are, but what an ideology offers is a consistent set of principles, a deeper analysis of our political environment, and deeper knowledge of (at least one set of) historical actors.
I don't disagree with that, but I'd like to add something: ideologies aren't just programmes for action, they're also, as it were, a system of co-ordinates. The world is a huge mess of facts and events, and it gets even more complicated when you bring in things that haven't happened yet but will, or might, or should, or shouldn't. Ideology is - in both a helpful and a dangerous way - a way that people locate themselves in the political world (i.e. the world!), and navigate through it - it's how they find their intellectual home, and how they explore away from it. They help people to understand, and to feel at home in, the world - because providing a map doesn't just give you factual knowledge about locations nearby, it also reduces your anxiety by giving you a sense of familiarity and control over your location.

I think one reason why a lot of people don't feel comfortable talking or thinking about politics is that they don't have an ideology to guide them - they're just bombarded with single issue after single issue, pulling their emotions and allegiances this way and that, like driving through a snowstorm, and this makes them feel uncomfortable, and they drop out. If you have an ideology, suddenly it's not a confusing blaze of colours all around you, but discernable shapes, connected into recognisable objects, and you have a sense of where you can go, and how you can move these things around you.
There's a bunch of reasons we might look at 1887. Without going into particular cases, it might be:
* because some bad law was written at that time, and still has bad effects today
* because the political situation then resembled ours in some way, and the successes/mistakes of that time are worth looking at
* because some situation dates back at least that far, probably showing that the issue is complicated
* because modern positions are often unconsciously echoes or developments of 19th century ideas and looking at the originals clarifies things
* because events of that time created a current injustice
* because some term we take for granted was defined at that time
I'd just add that these are in effect different ways of looking at the past, and that they provoke different actions in the future. It's not enough to say, for instance, "the Act of 1887 caused such-and-such a modern problem" - you have to distinguish between, for example, "the Act set into motion a chain of events that led to the current state of affairs, but the Act itself has no lasting relevance" and "the Act is still legally binding and that's why we have this problem", because how you respond to the Act depends on that distinction. [of course, the distinction is often not so clear-cut]
Or take this statement:
I don’t get why opponents of capitalism in the 21st century feel such a strong need to defend 19th century theorists or 20th century dictators.
Who does this? Is this supposed to be true of Bernie Sanders, or Jeremy Corbyn, or Olivier Faure, or Piketty, or Jacobin, or Twitter memes, or what?
I'd just note: while there are still many Marxist intellectuals, very few actually defend Marx himself in any depth. They admire his ingenuity, and they believe he created useful tools and frameworks, but even Marxists admit that many of the specific propositions Marx held are either obsolete or out-of-date. For example, many people applaud his way of analysing history dialectically, but these days any informed, honest Marxist knows that Marx's specific timeline of history is grossly simplistic if not outright wrong.
Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

Ser wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 am I found this short 17-page quick guide to writing mathematical statements a bit interesting.

https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~amenta/w10/writingman.pdf
I was surprised, in passing, that no mention was made of 'therefore'. In school, our maths teacher insisted on us writing the 'therefore' symbol at the beginning of each new line that wasn't a premise (which I appreciated in terms of deductive syntax...). Although iirc eventually we were allowed to get away with only including it for the final line.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

A question on usage - the way "Ideologie" is normally used in German public, especially political, discourse is almost always negative. It implies rigidity and caring for dogma over fact. You only call other people's belief systems "Ideologie", implying that they're wrong. Is that also true for "ideology" in the English-speaking world? Again, I am not asking about how the word Is used in political science, but in everyday political discourse.