ZONE OF FIRE GONE?!

Almea and the Incatena
Arzena

ZONE OF FIRE GONE?!

Post by Arzena »

I was browsing the Patreon, reading the Almea at 3600 ZE post, when I read the casual sentence "uninhabited before the Zone of Fire vanished" :shock: Trying to find a post on the Patreon outlining its disappearance but most I can find so far just hints at the cause and the residual consequences of its disappearance.

It was one of my favorite features of Almea, excited for this development!!!
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Veteran of the 1st ZBB 2006-2018
CA TX NYC
zompist
Site Admin

Re: ZONE OF FIRE GONE?!

Post by zompist »

The post which announced it is here:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/49123441

But yep, it's been a busy century, and more is to come!
Civil War Bugle

Post by Civil War Bugle »

I am on the patreon and there are certainly deep consequences, some of which I find quite creepy in a fun way, until such time as we receive the clarifications. Don’t know if you want spoilers or not, because I think Zompist may reveal everything after a suitable period of time, but I like where he’s going with everything.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Somewhat off topic, but is Erelae roughly analogous in geopolitical role to Europe, Arcel to Asia, the other two to Africa/the Americas but with less of a disadvantage?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:38 pm Somewhat off topic, but is Erelae roughly analogous in geopolitical role to Europe, Arcel to Asia, the other two to Africa/the Americas but with less of a disadvantage?
Kind of, but not entirely. The meta-procedure is to make Eretald itself very familiar to Western readers, which means making it feel rather European. Then as you get farther out, things get more unusual.

Still, I've always bristled at the idea that to make a conworld you take earthly nations and file the serial numbers off. We only have one planet to use as a model, so it's inevitable for conworlds to borrow heavily. But I try to mix things up, and have things develop under their own logic.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

zompist wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:02 pm
Kind of, but not entirely. The meta-procedure is to make Eretald itself very familiar to Western readers, which means making it feel rather European. Then as you get farther out, things get more unusual.

Still, I've always bristled at the idea that to make a conworld you take earthly nations and file the serial numbers off. We only have one planet to use as a model, so it's inevitable for conworlds to borrow heavily. But I try to mix things up, and have things develop under their own logic.
I can spot the non-Western influences even in Verduria to be sure - it's just that Erelae seems to have the upper hand in technology and military power that Europe did IRL, not that the trajectory will exactly match that. I could certainly see more buffer states or even looser models of colonial rule
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:04 pm I can spot the non-Western influences even in Verduria to be sure - it's just that Erelae seems to have the upper hand in technology and military power that Europe did IRL, not that the trajectory will exactly match that. I could certainly see more buffer states or even looser models of colonial rule
Yes, the Ereláeans predominate in tech and thus in colonization. But the nations of Arcél aren't far behind, and some of them had colonies.