My Present Project

Post by mocha »

Download:

Current release: https://github.com/Mocha2007/mocha_verd ... .1.1-alpha

Original Post:

Two hints as to what I'm doing:

Yes I know the borders are way off

If you do not recognize this game:

I'm working on making a total conversion mod for Victoria 2 that uses Almea instead of Earth.

Currently I've made tons of progress - I'm now able to make it to the title screen without the game crashing! Of course, now, it crashes when I hit play instead. But at least I get to see the map... kinda!

I suspect the main issue is that my provinces are too big. Which for parts of the map will be fine - I only have very, very rough borders anyways - but I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for west Erelae. I'm not even considering the other continents until I at least get east Erelae playable.

It will probably take many, many hours to even get it to a stage where it doesn't crash, but even seeing the bookmark selection screen with Almea is tantalizing enough to keep me going.
Last edited by mocha on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mocha

Re: My Present Project

Post by mocha »

Alright, after working on it for over two hours, I now have the provinces of Eretald mostly done:
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

This looks like a lot of work! Good luck!

If you're starting from 3480, you may be interested in what actually happened next. There is a lot more on the Almea+400 project, enough to take you through the next century. (I know enough about Paradox games to understand that doing ahistorical stuff is half the fun. But there is a baseline on the 3480-3590 period now.) I hope you can get Kebri in there, as that's Verduria's rival in colonization.

Also, it's Dhekhnam, not Dheknam. (Or Dhêçnam if you want to be fancy.)
mocha

Post by mocha »

zompist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:55 pm If you're starting from 3480, you may be interested in what actually happened next. There is a lot more on the Almea+400 project, enough to take you through the next century. (I know enough about Paradox games to understand that doing ahistorical stuff is half the fun. But there is a baseline on the 3480-3590 period now.)
Eventually, once I finish Erelae, I will add more bookmarks. And maybe then, the game will stop crashing... x)
zompist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:55 pm I hope you can get Kebri in there, as that's Verduria's rival in colonization.
Coming Soon (TM)
zompist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:55 pm Also, it's Dhekhnam, not Dheknam. (Or Dhêçnam if you want to be fancy.)
Thankfully the localization files make this a simple fix:

mocha

Post by mocha »

Kebri:

Also, fixed the colors.
mocha

Post by mocha »

zompist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:55 pm I hope you can get Kebri in there, as that's Verduria's rival in colonization.

The region in the northeast - does it have a name? I've just been calling it "Quebec" but I'm sure it's listed somewhere on the wiki and I just can't find it...
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I'm not sure which area you mean. The entire northeast is Irqaraumia. The Verdurian colony in the north is Leán (as opposed to the Kebreni colony of Broidabo and the more eastern Verdurian colony of Karimia).
mocha

Post by mocha »

zompist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:00 pm I'm not sure which area you mean. The entire northeast is Irqaraumia. The Verdurian colony in the north is Leán (as opposed to the Kebreni colony of Broidabo and the more eastern Verdurian colony of Karimia).
Ah, Irqaraumia then. Thanks for the colony names, by the way - I was going to ask.

I think this is where I'll end for today:

Vilike

Post by Vilike »

I had a similar notion after playing Paradox games, ever since the beginning of the Almea+400 project... and to see someone has actually set to the task! I heartily encourage you in that direction.
Yaa unák thual na !
mocha

Post by mocha »

Vilike wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:57 am I had a similar notion after playing Paradox games, ever since the beginning of the Almea+400 project... and to see someone has actually set to the task! I heartily encourage you in that direction.
Yeah, the Almea+400 project is what finally drove me to do it. Almea is probably one of the best settings for a total conversion mod, given the level of technological advancement.

The land provinces are finished, but the game still crashes:

So I suspect I'm going to have to divide the sea provinces... again... into smaller chunks. Like, almost a hundred new chunks. Ugh.
mocha

Post by mocha »

Things have basically stalled at this point since I have no idea what's causing the crashes. Kill me, please...

Edit:

Alright, been working on this for several hours now. I haven't been able to find a fix, but at least I've been able to confirm that the issue with crashing is not being caused by the map - which I hope means the map is fine as-is.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

Mocha, this is such a great idea, and I'm so glad that you stepped forward and picked up the project!

Going from fairly old memory at this point, I remember modding Vic2 as being much more finicky, limited, and with less documentation or support, than any of the more recent Paradox releases. There's also, at this point, less of an active modding community to turn to for help and advice. Have you thought about trying a total conversion for, say, Europa Universalis IV instead? (With a different starting date, perhaps, and so forth -- the beauty of the project is that the Almeopedia makes it easy!) I think it might be easier, despite the more 'advanced' engine.
mocha

Post by mocha »

fusijui wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:34 pm Mocha, this is such a great idea, and I'm so glad that you stepped forward and picked up the project!

Going from fairly old memory at this point, I remember modding Vic2 as being much more finicky, limited, and with less documentation or support, than any of the more recent Paradox releases. There's also, at this point, less of an active modding community to turn to for help and advice. Have you thought about trying a total conversion for, say, Europa Universalis IV instead? (With a different starting date, perhaps, and so forth -- the beauty of the project is that the Almeopedia makes it easy!) I think it might be easier, despite the more 'advanced' engine.
Out of the four Paradox games I've modded, it is by far the most annoying. There is, to my knowledge, only one other total conversion mod for Vicky - I reached out to the developer for help on this issue, but we haven't figured it out yet.

You are correct that EU4 modding is generally easier, but I went for Vicky over EU4 because (1) I have much more experience with it, and more importantly (2) because it fits better with the whole +400 project (although, if I get this mod working, it will be more like +150). Also, I just feel it would be more fun to play as a Vicky mod than one for EU4.

I'll maybe give it a week before I give up and go over to EU4. What would be the best start year? 3059? Or maybe I can wait a year or so and +400 will be at 30s tech, and I can go over to HOI4... :^)
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

TBH, I haven't followed the newer history of Almea at all, so couldn't comment (let alone contribute!) usefully ;(

I wonder if the difficulty in modding Vic2 isn't at least in part due to its modeling of populations on a pretty detailed/complex level, which isn't part of the later games' models (or engines). Unless that specific quality, as part of simulating the transition to industrial economies, is the thing that you're looking to Almeacize, I think that EU4 could also be reworked to support a 'modern' technological~economic era of gameplay too. (I'm looking forward to what Victoria 3 has to offer, BTW!)
mocha

Post by mocha »

fusijui wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:23 pm I wonder if the difficulty in modding Vic2 isn't at least in part due to its modeling of populations on a pretty detailed/complex level, which isn't part of the later games' models (or engines).
Working with pops is actually generally fine. The bigger issue is that the older versions of the Clauswitz engine the game is based on are extremely finnicky and picky with the randomest of things. To give some examples of nonsense:
  • If a file ends in a number, the number will interpreted as zero. You need extra whitespace in order for it to be interpreted as its actual value.
  • If a localization file contains a blank line, sometimes it causes errors in the localization.
  • Land provinces may not be more than 20,000 pixels in size, otherwise the game will crash while loading trying to pre-render provinces. Sea provinces may be any size, however.
  • If there is even a 1 pixel mismatch between land/sea provinces in terrain.bmp and provinces.bmp, the game crashes.
  • terrain.bmp and rivers.bmp must be saved with a custom bitmap table. Otherwise, the game crashes.
  • In decision/event modding, sometimes, the variables in the condition and effect scopes have the same name. But other times, they're slightly different. And if you use the wrong one, it not only completely messes up that event, but literally every other event afterwards in the entire file.
fusijui wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:23 pm (I'm looking forward to what Victoria 3 has to offer, BTW!)
I played the leaked beta and have mixed feelings on things. I like how they're doing German+Italian unification. However, I'm not a fan of the new trading system, budget system, how rebellions work now, the new military system, pop management, or the new side ledger. Although I recognize the last few could be fixed by release, I'm not sure trading is 'accidentally broken' but working as intended.

The trading system is just so fundamentally broken, I'm really not sure how it could be fixed without completely redesigning it from scratch. So, to give an example. Since the AI is completely incompetent at managing their production, they have to rely on stealing player resources. So here's what happens:
  • You're low on tools, so you build a tool factory.
  • France/the UK/Austria/etc creates a new trade route to import all the new tools you just made.
  • You're low on tools, so...
You can create new trade routes to re-import those tools back, but only about half of what they unjustly steal from you, and there's no way you can import from everyone else with your convoy supply, so you just have to suffer with constant goods shortages with little recourse unless you can afford to build a new tool factory every month. Embargoing a good does very little to stymie their imports, as does setting tariffs to max. I wish I could set tariffs to something crazy like 1000%, so that at least I could make money off their theft...

The budgetting system currently feels a bit too simple. In particular, there is a single discrete scale for tax that has five settings. High tax also doesn't seem to negatively affect pop standard of living, but rather allegedly just causes more people to join rebellions, but since everyone is always part of a rebellion against you anyways, there is never a noticable difference.

Speaking of rebellions. Paradox seriously needs to set thresholds higher. Literally half of Europe is in rebellion at any given time. Austria is usually dealing with 2-3 simultaneous rebellions at a time. A few decades into the game, and there are usually 2-3 Polands, 1-2 Romanias and 1-2 Prussias, and a few Canadas and Australias. As long as you sit around and pass no laws, as a civilized nation, you can probably get GP status in a decade or two even as some minor like Paraguay about half the time, as long as you don't succumb to a random rebellion, since having rebellions (not losing to one, but HAVING one) seems to nuke about half your prestige every time one happens. Also, instead of rebels merely enforcing their demands, you lose the game. Uncivs never deal with rebellions as far as I've seen. The worst part is the rebellion notification cannot be closed due to an interface glitch and is extremely laggy, and several often appear at the same time, especially when loading saves. I once had 21 simultaneous rebellions spring up in foreign countries simply by loading a save. At that point it game just crashes and the save is trashed, so you have to start a new save. The solution to rebellions is simple:
  • Enacting the gestapo internal security policy and setting the scale to MAX funding. Rebellions will still try to form, but they will have great difficulty achieving widespread support.
  • Increase autocracy. Decrease democracy.
  • Enact laws slowly, at least until the other things are finished. Then never enact any new laws.
  • Once you are done enacting whatever laws you need, use your excess authority to decrease support for rebellious factions and increase support for loyal ones. If you have excess authority, good options are to add a tax on a trade good or increasing agro output.
The first bullet point is especially effective. If you don't have more pressing things to research, I would recommend choosing techs that increase authority, or enable higher internal security levels.

Alright, so military. This one I would actually like if they fix the bugs, even though it's really confusing at first, but right now I would basically just recommend either not declaring wars, or using console commands to force the war to end how you think would be 'fair'. Oftentimes wars between other nations last literally forever, and probably mess with the AI, so every few years or so I would recommend quickly scanning the map and using the console whenever you notice a war taking too long. If you don't want to use console commands, I would also recommend not starting any wars yourself, and setting AI aggression to low so they don't screw themselves over with unending wars.

On the same note I would also advise against ironman in the beta build. There is a bug where the game freezes when you try to exit in ironman. Also, since you're gonna be using the console to fix the game anyways, you shouldn't be using it.

Pop management is virtually nonexistent. It is very difficult to find population statistics. This will probably be fixed in release though, so I'm not too worried about it. The side ledger needs to be more compact. I also wish I had more control over what went into it. Again though, this will likely be fixed in release, so I'm not too worried. The performance of the game is also pretty bad, likely due to lack of optimization, which will again likely be fixed in release. Unfortunately, it looks like they're dropping support for Windows 7 (And probably 8 too, as the game requires DX12), so I have to use my laptop to run the game, which probably adds to the performance issues.

Overall though it is a fun experience, albeit one very different from V2. So if you do play the beta just keep that in mind.
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

You remind me of why I don't play with beta releases, and also of some of the 'joys' of modding Vic2 that I'd nearly managed to suppress :)
mocha

Post by mocha »

Alright. I just spent the past several hours trying to port this to EU4. No dice. Crashes during the "initializing maplogic" phase. Every. Single. Time.

I'm gonna take a break from this project for a while and come back. Maybe I'll come up with the reason it's crashing...
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

I'm surprised there's any portability at all between Vic2 and EU4 -- from what little I remember, they seemed very different.

I really, really like the idea of playing at Almea in some Paradox game, and I really hope you come back re-invigorated and re-inspired! Cheers and admiration!
mocha

Post by mocha »

Well, I still haven't been able to get the EU4 mod working. But while working on an unrelated programming project, I thought I'd make this:

https://imgur.com/a/X0fqYD5

The base map is a quick edit of three maps from the wiki: I then used my program to convert the interrupted sinusoidal projection into an equirectangular projection, turned that into a sequence of orthographic projections at longitudes of regular intervals, and used ffmpeg to turn those frames into a video and gif.

Bonus (from images on http://www.almeopedia.com/almeo.html?searchbox=moons):

EDIT:
More southerly view: Image
Mollweide is a fantastic equal-area projection: Image
(Web) Mercator: Image
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Nice!