My Present Project

Almea and the Incatena
Raphael

Re: My Present Project

Post by Raphael »

hwhatting wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:26 pmNice!
Seconded!
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Mocha, are you on my Patreon? If not tell me, I have some better maps of Curym and Lesbiscuri you can use.

I've made 3-D globes for myself, but the spinning animation is pretty cool.

The Mollweide map is quite nice! I'd like to see it with a slightly different center point— so Curym isn't broken up.

The Mercator map is hilarious. That's going to have to be the official map used in Śaidahami (northern Lebiscuri).
mocha

Post by mocha »

zompist wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:37 pm Mocha, are you on my Patreon? If not tell me, I have some better maps of Curym and Lesbiscuri you can use.
Sadly I am not, no. Extra maps would be nice :^)
zompist wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:37 pm I've made 3-D globes for myself, but the spinning animation is pretty cool.
A while ago I tried adding Enomai to Celestia. Maybe I should throw these maps in and release it as an addon.
zompist wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:37 pm The Mollweide map is quite nice! I'd like to see it with a slightly different center point— so Curym isn't broken up.
Sure thing!

Speaking of, I should ask - I notice the map of Eretald doesn't seem to quite fit with the interrupted sinusoidal maps - is it in another projection, or is the resolution just playing tricks on my eyes?
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

mocha wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:56 pm Sadly I am not, no. Extra maps would be nice :^)
OK, wait a few days, I will make a public post with new maps.
Speaking of, I should ask - I notice the map of Eretald doesn't seem to quite fit with the interrupted sinusoidal maps - is it in another projection, or is the resolution just playing tricks on my eyes?
At that scale, you're lucky it fits at all. :P I don't have fancy mapping software (unless you count Photoshop and Blender). The sinusoidal map was made by hand.
mocha

Post by mocha »

zompist wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:47 pm At that scale, you're lucky it fits at all. :P I don't have fancy mapping software (unless you count Photoshop and Blender). The sinusoidal map was made by hand.
Well, you did a pretty good job with the map of Erelae then, because other than the island just north of Bekkai the map fits over the world map very well.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I put the new maps (and new descriptions) on Almeopedia.

* Curym
* Lebiscuri
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm I put the new maps (and new descriptions) on Almeopedia.

* Curym
* Lebiscuri
Almeopedia wrote: Until it disappeared in the 3530s, the equatorial Zone of Fire…
Wow, it looks like Almea+400 has a lot more changes than I thought. I do hope that you can eventually make more content publicly available!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Yes, I'm up to about 3600 now and a lot has happened.

Some of it will be public (e.g. pretty soon I'm going to put up a page on Sarroc); the current plan is for most of the history to be available as a book.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:47 am Some of it will be public (e.g. pretty soon I'm going to put up a page on Sarroc); the current plan is for most of the history to be available as a book.
Good idea. Almeopedia is detailed, but somewhat disorganised and hard to navigate.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

mocha, this is great. Is there any way to make them spin slower? Would like to be able to take them in a bit more.
mocha

Post by mocha »

sasasha wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:24 am mocha, this is great. Is there any way to make them spin slower? Would like to be able to take them in a bit more.
Here, try these two out:

I've added these and also mp4 versions to the album as well - I labelled these two "Almea Equatorial Slow" and "Almea South Slow" respectively.

EDIT: Imgur isn't showing the images properly for some reason, so here are direct links if you don't see them:
https://i.imgur.com/rS1sFeO.gif
https://i.imgur.com/CwNy7k6.gif
ZiporaLig

Post by ZiporaLig »

Ah this is cool! Although I do think waiting for Victoria 3 could be best for 400+, I am also doing work on an EU4 version, will post updates here if that would be ok with the original poster?
ZiporaLig

Post by ZiporaLig »

:oops: Just noticed you also changed your aims half way through sorry for that
mocha

Post by mocha »

ZiporaLig wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am Ah this is cool! Although I do think waiting for Victoria 3 could be best for 400+, I am also doing work on an EU4 version, will post updates here if that would be ok with the original poster?
Sure thing. Have you managed to get a map working yourself? x)
ZiporaLig

Post by ZiporaLig »

mocha wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:06 pm
Sure thing. Have you managed to get a map working yourself? x)
Still not fully yet, still cleaning up the map, trying to get EU4 to a clean slate aswell
provinces.png
provinces.png (35.8 KiB) Viewed 8303 times
ZiporaLig

Post by ZiporaLig »

Minor Update: Got some friends together and we cleaned up Curym and Arcél, still missing Neinuoi which I chose to do later once the Atlas gets here.
arcelecurym.png
arcelecurym.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
romddude

Post by romddude »

Seeing these posts really rekindled a bit of the old passion I used to have for modding Paradox Interactive games.

Hope nobody minds but I tried giving it a whirl just out of curiosity and one of the things I remembered from thinking about this in the past is that an EU4 mod, unlike Victoria 3, should reflect a time period in Almean history that is just the beginning of modernity. Starting from 3840 wouldn't really work as EU4 is awful at simulating anything vaguely resembling the Industrial Revolution or industrial movements or politics or international relations.

The idea I had then, not sure if anyone agrees with me, was to start from around 2950- the time when Cad'inor fell for the last time and Verduria's rise slowly began. I feel like that not only opens up a lot of possibilities like seeing the Revaudo revolution in Xurno play out but it's also a good time period as Dhekhnam is still in the process of expanding and isn't a massive blob yet and Verduria also is right in its infancy and could lead to interesting things gameplay wise.

I noticed that the map you posted Zipora had a very small Eretald and a lot of land that would not have anything going on.
ZiporaLig wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:44 am Minor Update: Got some friends together and we cleaned up Curym and Arcél, still missing Neinuoi which I chose to do later once the Atlas gets here.
EU4 apparently doesn't handle larger map sizes than vanilla very well from what I've read and so I had the idea of cutting off the Zone of Fire and really focusing in on Erelae and Arcel.
Hope you or anybody else doesn't mind but I gave a try making a terrain map (which is required by EU4 mods) that has a much larger Erelae, which can be easily overlayed with the Historical Atlas of Erelae and the Tellinor and Nan maps that are available. Dimensions and projections are a bit off but I sacrificed those for these considerations of properly showcasing areas with states. It's still quite WIP and missing swamps and some mountain ranges in Dhekhnam and so on but I thought it was an interesting attempt.
terrain.png
terrain.png (245.43 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
I did this mostly out of personal enjoyment, feel free to use this or ignore it as desired. I've also been working on rivers and provinces.
ZiporaLig

Post by ZiporaLig »

romddude wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 am
The idea I had then, not sure if anyone agrees with me, was to start from around 2950- the time when Cad'inor fell for the last time and Verduria's rise slowly began. I feel like that not only opens up a lot of possibilities like seeing the Revaudo revolution in Xurno play out but it's also a good time period as Dhekhnam is still in the process of expanding and isn't a massive blob yet and Verduria also is right in its infancy and could lead to interesting things gameplay wise.

EU4 apparently doesn't handle larger map sizes than vanilla very well from what I've read and so I had the idea of cutting off the Zone of Fire and really focusing in on Erelae and Arcel.
Hope you or anybody else doesn't mind but I gave a try making a terrain map (which is required by EU4 mods) that has a much larger Erelae, which can be easily overlayed with the Historical Atlas of Erelae and the Tellinor and Nan maps that are available. Dimensions and projections are a bit off but I sacrificed those for these considerations of properly showcasing areas with states. It's still quite WIP and missing swamps and some mountain ranges in Dhekhnam and so on but I thought it was an interesting attempt.

I did this mostly out of personal enjoyment, feel free to use this or ignore it as desired. I've also been working on rivers and provinces.
Wow! This is some incredible work! The reason why I was focusing on the northern hemisphere was mostly because of the weakning of the Zone of Fire around 3520, with the start date being between 2870 and 2950, I am sure that by combining all of these projects we could have way more progress however!
willm

Post by willm »

Is there still interest in this? I missed it when it was originally being discussed, unfortunately, but I recently got onto Zompist's Patreon, and that has made me want to make an attempt at a Victory II mod.

Also, I was wondering whether Zompist had already existing Mercator projection maps of Almea at higher resolutions than the racial ones.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

willm wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:09 am Also, I was wondering whether Zompist had already existing Mercator projection maps of Almea at higher resolutions than the racial ones.
Nope... besides that map, the only thing I've used rectangular maps for is making globes, which don't need to be hi-res.