Conlang Random Thread

Conworlds and conlangs
Pabappa

Re: Conlang Random Thread

Post by Pabappa »

mèþru wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm I don't like using <y> for /j/ in general, and I prefer writing about diphthongs as a series of vowels instead of of vowels and semivowels whenever possible. I also tend to use <v> for /w/ if the language has no /v/-like sounds in order to save space and because I feel an alphabet with <w> but no <v> looks kind of ridiculous - one is a clear modification of the other. I haven't noticed any language, natural or not, following me on that point though.
Classical Latin did it. And the Romanization of Sanskrit, if that counts. And I follow the same idea in my conlangs .... some of the time. I seem to follow different aesthetic rules with different languages. Bābākiam and Late Andanese both use <v> for /w/ (and have no /v/-like sound), but Pabappa uses <w> for /w/ despite also having no /v/.
I avoid using apostrophes outside of ejectives, using them to disambiguate and using it as a reflection of the writing system's punctuation. You are doing the second, so it fits with my aesthetic.

C. Tije eh-Hjulet e'aro'an ap ehsan ka mim sa e'aro'ein va ito. Ei Jana, keu muba'i masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu jou gobrejisan jehsa?

Or maybe you could use diaereses:
D. Tije eh-Hjulet eäroän ap ehsan ka mim sa eäroëin va ito. Ei Jana, keu mubaï masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu jou gobrejisan jehsa?
diareses is another good idea, yeah .... and for me at least, it changes the whole feel of the language. Diareses make a language feel "colder" to me, especially ë, but not just ë.
Zaarin

Post by Zaarin »

mèþru wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pmI don't like using <y> for /j/ in general
It depends on the aesthetic I'm shooting for. For me, <j> /j/ looks very Central/Eastern European, so if that's the flavor I'm shooting for I'll use it; otherwise I prefer either <y> or <i> for /j/.
mèþru wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm Or maybe you could use diaereses:
It has Tolkien's stamp of approval. And French's. Also old-fashioned English's (e.g., "coördinate"). I personally would go this route if I weren't using diaereses for anything else.
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me?
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Zaarin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 pm
mèþru wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm Or maybe you could use diaereses:
It has Tolkien's stamp of approval. And French's. Also old-fashioned English's (e.g., "coördinate"). I personally would go this route if I weren't using diaereses for anything else.
Personally, I dislike diaereses for exactly this reason - to me it gives a very 'generic fantasy' feel.

Then again, like all romanization problems, it all depends on your personal preference: if you like diaereses, you should use them.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Pabappa wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:40 pm Of your two options, I'd still lean towards the second, but it looks like even in the second option you end up using apostrophes at least occasionally. Im curious what the distinction is there.
No, I just messed it up. I really shouldn't post at 1AM :)
I fixed my post - what I meant was:
A. Tiye eh-Hiulet e'aro'an ap ehsan ka mim sa e'aro'ein wa ito.
B. Tiye eh-Hyulet earoan ap ehsan ka mim sa earoeyn wa ito.

A. Ei Yana, keu muba'i masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu you gobreyisan yehsa?
B. Ey Yana, kew mubai masiy eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu yow gobreyisan yehsa?

So, option A has apostrophes but no word-final y/w, B has no apostrophes but final j/w. Hopes it makes more sense.
Zaarin wrote:Personally, I dislike diaereses for exactly this reason - to me it gives a very 'generic fantasy' feel.
Relevant: http://english.bouletcorp.com/2010/05/21/fantasy/
Though the real problem with diareses is that I keep reading them as umlauts.
mèþru wrote: I don't like using <y> for /j/ in general.
Come to think of it, <j> does look better. I prefer <w> to <v> though.
Pabappa wrote:if this were my language, i might just not bother to distinguish them at all.
That's actually pretty tempting. Maybe I could just use apostrophes where there's a genuine risque of confusion, that is before final /i/ and /u/

Tije eh-Hjulet earoan ap ehsa ka mim sa earoein wa ito. Ei Jana, keu muba'i masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu jou gobrejisan jehsa?
Hm. That looks good and the apostrophe count is reasonable. Thanks everyone!
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

mèþru wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm I don't like using <y> for /j/ in general, and I prefer writing about diphthongs as a series of vowels instead of of vowels and semivowels whenever possible. I also tend to use <v> for /w/ if the language has no /v/-like sounds in order to save space and because I feel an alphabet with <w> but no <v> looks kind of ridiculous - one is a clear modification of the other. I haven't noticed any language, natural or not, following me on that point though.

I avoid using apostrophes outside of ejectives, using them to disambiguate and using it as a reflection of the writing system's punctuation. You are doing the second, so it fits with my aesthetic.

C. Tije eh-Hjulet e'aro'an ap ehsan ka mim sa e'aro'ein va ito. Ei Jana, keu muba'i masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu jou gobrejisan jehsa?

Or maybe you could use diaereses:
D. Tije eh-Hjulet eäroän ap ehsan ka mim sa eäroëin va ito. Ei Jana, keu mubaï masii eh-sot ša-Terra im-Ismahu jou gobrejisan jehsa?
But Latin have <v> for its /w/. Latin doesn't have <w> or <v>.
However, your idea is bad because <v> is too similar to <u>.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
masako

Post by masako »

So. I've been mulling over a significant change to Kala grammar...Cases.

Currently, to mark the object of a verb, the particle "ke" is placed before it, and the verb is in the final position, i.e. SOV.

tahi ke mitam anyaye
boy O dog-PL see-PST
The boy saw the dogs.

I already have "-yo" which essentially functions as the genitive: ke mita nayo - O dog 1s.GEN - My dog.

If I were to use "-n" as the accusative I would instantly have an Arabic style case system.

mitan nayo tahi anyaye
dog-ACC 1s.GEN boy see-PST
The boy saw my dog(s). (The plural can be inferred based on context or foreknowledge)

I also have a couple of particles that could easily transition into affixes to bolster (or make more interesting) the system.

instrumental "-ma"
abessive "-mue"
dative "-kue"
benefactive "-nya"
locative "-mo"

This system would free-up word order and allow for more nuanced meaning...the main detractor is that most lemma straddle various parts of speech. Meaning I may very well need to make more words, or find another way to differentiate. Or, just leave it to context.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Does the OSV word order here:
masako wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:35 amIf I were to use "-n" as the accusative I would instantly have an Arabic style case system.

mitan nayo tahi anyaye
dog-ACC 1s.GEN boy see-PST
The boy saw my dog(s). (The plural can be inferred based on context or foreknowledge)
Indicate that the direct object is salient in some way? Is this topicalization or focus or something?
masako

Post by masako »

Vijay wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 pm Does the OSV word order here: Indicate that the direct object is salient in some way? Is this topicalization or focus or something?
Simply put, yes.

That's why I've been contemplating a case system. It frees-up word order for situations like the example.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

masako wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 am
Vijay wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 pm Does the OSV word order here: Indicate that the direct object is salient in some way? Is this topicalization or focus or something?
Simply put, yes.

That's why I've been contemplating a case system. It frees-up word order for situations like the example.
But you don't have to have a case system just to do that. For example, Mandarin Chinese also has similar object fronting without having any case morphology.
masako

Post by masako »

True enough.

I guess the case system would be more to make Kala accessible, or whatever.
Xwtek

Post by Xwtek »

I have a story where a person get lost in another world. The world is rather primitive, and speaks another language. How long it takes to learn the local language? Assuming the new person is not linguist. Also in the story, it's actually not rare for a person to get lost to this world.
IPA of my name: [xʷtɛ̀k]

Favourite morphology: Polysynthetic, Ablaut
Favourite character archetype: Shounen hero
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

masako wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 am True enough.

My favorite approach is to use direct-inverse with a person/animacy/topicality hierarchy with core arguments, so as to free up word order to mark topicality, and to use a limited set of either coverbs or adpositions with non-core arguments (with more complex meanings being achieved through the use of inalienably-possessed relational nouns, where possession is marked on the possessum)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Akangka wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am I have a story where a person get lost in another world. The world is rather primitive, and speaks another language. How long it takes to learn the local language? Assuming the new person is not linguist. Also in the story, it's actually not rare for a person to get lost to this world.
This is a nice example of total immersion with high motivation: your lost person really has to learn. We all learned our native languages like this, but try hard to avoid this situation ever again.

I assume your lost person can find a friendly informant who will spend many hours a day with him (and that there is a lot of passive exposure the rest of the day, plus minor interactions with other villagers).

Googling for stories of field linguists, I found some claims that they'd be able to get by in an unknown language in a couple of weeks. For an untrained person, but one who's not too shy, let's say a couple of months. (For a data point, I learned Portuguese in a week— not fluently, but enough to speak with monolinguals.)

They're not going to be fluent after that period, and they'll still be making amusing mistakes. In fact, many adult learners never get fluent— they stay with whatever level of competence lets them get by with life. Others are driven to keep learning.
masako

Post by masako »

Travis B. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm

My favorite approach is to use direct-inverse with a person/animacy/topicality hierarchy with core arguments, so as to free up word order to mark topicality, and to use a limited set of either coverbs or adpositions with non-core arguments (with more complex meanings being achieved through the use of inalienably-possessed relational nouns, where possession is marked on the possessum)
I really wish I understood all of this.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

For whatever it's worth, I think you can use a case system if you want. You just don't have to.
masako wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:28 pm
Travis B. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:20 pm

I really wish I understood all of this.
My understanding is that his favorite approach is basically Navajo's (examples and data courtesy of Lexical-Functional Syntax by Joan Bresnan, 2001):

At'ééd ashkii yi-yiiłtsá.
girl boy yi-saw
'The girl saw the boy.'

Ashkii at'ééd yi-yiiłtsá.
boy girl yi-saw
'The boy saw the girl.'

At'ééd ashkii b-iiłtsá.
girl boy bi-saw
'The boy saw the girl (speaking of the latter).'

However, if the yi-form (also known as the direct form) is used, the object cannot be less animate (or lower in the animacy hierarchy) than the subject. In Navajo, the animacy hierarchy is as follows:

humans > animals > insects > natural forces > plants, inanimate objects > abstract nouns

So this sentence is possible because stones are lower than boys in the hierarchy:

Ashkii tsé yiztał.
boy stone yi-kicked
'The boy kicked the stone.'

But not this, since mules are also lower than boys in the hierarchy:

*Dzanééz ashkii yiztał.
mule boy yi-kicked
'The mule kicked the boy.'

Instead, you'd have to use bi- (also known as the inverse form):

Ashkii dzanééz biztał.
boy mule bi-kicked
'The boy, the mule kicked him.'

But so far, we've only been talking about subjects and direct objects in these examples. What about other kinds of objects? Well, as I understand it, Travis likes to mark these with prepositions, postpositions, verbs (like 给 in Chinese, if that helps), or, in more complex cases, relational nouns (I'm not sure what exactly counts as "more complex"). I'm guessing the kind of relational nouns Travis has in mind is the kind used in this Turkish example:

otel-in ön-ün-de
hotel-GEN front-its-at
'in front of the hotel'
Whimemsz

Post by Whimemsz »

zompist wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:10 pm
Akangka wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am I have a story where a person get lost in another world. The world is rather primitive, and speaks another language. How long it takes to learn the local language? Assuming the new person is not linguist. Also in the story, it's actually not rare for a person to get lost to this world.
This is a nice example of total immersion with high motivation: your lost person really has to learn. We all learned our native languages like this, but try hard to avoid this situation ever again.

I assume your lost person can find a friendly informant who will spend many hours a day with him (and that there is a lot of passive exposure the rest of the day, plus minor interactions with other villagers).

Googling for stories of field linguists, I found some claims that they'd be able to get by in an unknown language in a couple of weeks. For an untrained person, but one who's not too shy, let's say a couple of months. (For a data point, I learned Portuguese in a week— not fluently, but enough to speak with monolinguals.)

They're not going to be fluent after that period, and they'll still be making amusing mistakes. In fact, many adult learners never get fluent— they stay with whatever level of competence lets them get by with life. Others are driven to keep learning.
The one example I know of off-hand of this sort of thing is the story of Cyrus Hussey and William Lay, who were both sailors on the whaleship Globe. In 1824 one of the Globe's boatsteerers, Samuel Comstock, led a mutiny against the captain, but then the mutineers ended up having no plans and a bunch of things went wrong including some of them killing each other, and long story short, in late February, 1824, Hussey, Lay, and some of the other men from the ship (including some mutineers) were on Mili Atoll when the locals attacked and killed all the other men except Hussey and Lay. They were rescued by the Dolphin just under two years later (about 21 1/2 months), and wrote a narrative of their experiences (well, had ghost-written, and mostly from Lay's perspective). In those two years they were adopted by local families but mostly kept apart from one another. By the time they were rescued they were apparently fluent in Marshallese, though Lay seems to have been consistently better and faster at acquiring and using it; after the rescue they provided a vocabulary list to a nearby missionary and in the appendix of the Narrative.

I don't know *exactly* how long it took them to become competent and then fluent, though. I see Lay says that about two months after the attack (that is, in April 1824), they were aware that their hosts were planning to take Hussey to a completely different part of the atoll, but had "not...yet become sufficiently acquainted with their language" to understand how far away or most of the details (p. 78). By about three months after that, Lay was evidently able to understand somewhat more complex notions and hold conversations with people ("during the week he remained with us, we became much attached to each other" ... "he told me, that on his return he should pass near the place where Hussey lived", p. 81; "one of the chiefs ... asked [me] many questions", p. 84). He soon states: "Having now gained considerable knowledge of their language..." (p. 86) but doesn't give a time reference, although it appears not to have been *that* long after the events quoted previously took place; the book I have on the mutiny and aftermath (Thomas Farel Heffernan's Mutiny on the Globe) speculates, apparently in part based on the seasonal chores that were being done at the time, this was August, so a month after the previous quotes. Around the same time, Lay overhears a boy saying in Marshallese that "the chiefs are going to kill William" (and provides the sentence in Marshallese in the Narrative: "Uroit a-ro rayta mony la Wirrum"), and is obviously able to understand it, and his master is obviously aware that he is or would be able to understand it (p. 87). Several months later, he says "I was often complimented by them for my knowledge of their language" (p. 93). For the rest of the Narrative he simply describes things the people say to him or he says to them with no indication that these are anything but normal conversations. Heffernan also points out that at one point in the Narrative (pp. 137-38) Lay gives a summary of the locals' religious beliefs, which suggests that by the end of the two-year period, at least, he'd achieved a level of fluency sufficient to have complex philosophical discussions (his descriptions apparently match those of later anthropologists, more or less).

Hussey was not as fast at picking up Marshallese as Lay. In about July of 1824, when Lay is evidently able to have simple conversations, Hussey was "not...able to converse with them" and had to use "signs" (p. 140). At about the same time as Lay is mentioning his "considerable knowledge of the language" and understanding things he's not meant to, Hussey could obviously understand some of what he was being told and was hearing, and provide information back ("I informed them that we could not have been the cause of the sickness, as no such sickness prevailed in our country, and that I never before had seen a similar disease" pp. 141-142), but for instance when listening to a conversation of his master with others he does not "at the time...fully understand" what they are saying (p. 144). Soon afterwards, though, he is matter-of-factly describing conversations he has with his master and others (e.g., p. 147). By the time of their rescue in November-December 1825, he is perfectly able to speak the language with (apparent) fluency (p. 117).

[EDIT: Incidentally, we don't just have Lay and Hussey's word (and vocab and one quoted sentence) to go by here; the senior lieutenant of the Dolphin, Hiram Paulding, wrote a report of the events of the rescue -- which took place over a number of days (apparently the Narrative is not very accurate about the series of events) -- and Lay and Hussey's "debriefing," and makes plenty of references to them serving as the translators with the locals.]

So for someone with a decent natural talent at languages but no linguistics training, this would suggest at least conversational by 4-5 months, and maybe 6-8 months to become quite skilled if not entirely fluent. 22 months is plenty to become fluent, though, even for someone with less of a natural talent with languages.
Last edited by Whimemsz on Tue May 28, 2019 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Vijay wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 pm However, if the yi-form (also known as the direct form) is used, the object cannot be less animate (or lower in the animacy hierarchy) than the subject. In Navajo, the animacy hierarchy is as follows:
I assume you meant to say that the subject cannot be lower in the animacy hierarchy than the object with the direct form.

Another thing to note is that person is very important too - e.g. 1st person arguments are higher on the hierarchy than 2nd person arguments, which are in turn higher on the hierarchy than 3rd person arguments in most direct-inverse languages (even though notably in Algonquian languages the positions of 1st and 2nd person arguments are inverted). Likewise, otherwise equal arguments may be distinguished by topicality. Also, many languages with direct-inverse morphology (e.g. Algonquian languages) also have proximate versus obviative marked on nouns marking some 3rd person arguments as higher on the hierarchy (proximate) than other 3rd person arguments (obviative).

As for more "complex", I meant that relational nouns may be used to express meanings like "on top of", "onto", "under", "behind", "through", and so on in languages where case/adpositions/coverbs/etc. only encode simpler meanings like locative, ablative, allative, etc. without reference to specific location relative to the argument.

But yeah, you basically captured what I meant.
Last edited by Travis B. on Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

Oh yeah, I meant the subject can't be lower than the object. Sorry, I've been trying to write way too many long-ass forum posts for one day. :P
Whimemsz

Post by Whimemsz »

Last edited by Whimemsz on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Vijay wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 pm
*Dzanééz ashkii yiztał.

mule boy yi-kicked
'The mule kicked the boy.'
do you know, offhand, would this be understood as "The boy kicked the mule"? Just with unusual word order?