Tinasan, Ineshîmé, and other fantasy-Japonic curiosities

Conworlds and conlangs
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: A little dabbling in Japonic

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ketsuban wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:16 pm Oh god, that etymological spelling. It's hideous. I love it.
Thank you.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Now I have finished the rough draught of a document detailing the orthography. It is, I think, rather intuitive internally, though a headache in hiragana little odd if you're already familiar with Japanese by which I mean it is, I hope, the total clusterfuck I promised, since some of the characters have rather different values (these are conditioned by historical sound changes, and by the internal circumstances surrounding their creation).

I would have invented entirely new kana, or used hentaigana, but both present too many technical issues to consider for the moment; it might be something to consider in the future — I have a distinct idea of the writing the Ineshîmé use being rather "cursive", but it has a more Western look to it, as if it were written with a fountain pen (and all the attendant curlicues and flourishes) rather than an inkbrush. I also picture it written horizontally, read top to bottom, and right to left; books printed in it would presumably do so also.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 pm Warning: Long ramble about what inspired me to make the language, [...] This may bore you, [...]
I don't mind this at all.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:59 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 pm Warning: Long ramble about what inspired me to make the language, [...] This may bore you, [...]
I don't mind this at all.
Ditto. Seeing what inspirations led to a given conlang is usually pretty interesting.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:02 pm Something nice...
Qwynegold wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:59 pm Also something nice...
I'm still working on this, too, but I haven't produced anything else worth releasing. It's really nice to see interest, though.

Any specific questions?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I don't have much to add, but I too find this interesting and look forward to seeing more on it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm Any specific questions?
Not specifically yet. Japonic langs, phonology, and writing are not my strong points, so I can't really add anything so far. I'm interested to see you get more into syntax and viewing the morphology in that context.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:49 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm Any specific questions?
Not specifically yet. Japonic langs, phonology, and writing are not my strong points, so I can't really add anything so far. I'm interested to see you get more into syntax and viewing the morphology in that context.
Getting the verbs through all the sound changes is my next objective. I'm still trying to chew some of what I've bitten off with them. The language goes through so many changes, it's a little overwhelming. The interest really does encourage me, though!
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm Getting the verbs through all the sound changes is my next objective. I'm still trying to chew some of what I've bitten off with them. The language goes through so many changes, it's a little overwhelming. The interest really does encourage me, though!
I hear ya & ditto!!!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I'm starting to feel all fuzzy inside.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've managed to produce a somewhat more coherent document detailing how we got here phonologically; the result has been a language that's a bit of a cross between Classical Japanese and Japanese reimagined as some sort of European language. That wasn't entirely my intention to begin with, but I think it works quite well for the purpose, and does sound very nice, at least in theory. I should have an easier time developing the language morphologically now, at very least.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

This was not an alt-Earth language, or was it? So are you gonna use the kanji as is, or will you make up your own characters with a one-to-one correspondence?
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 pmThe definite forms tend to feel very Japanese, I think, while the Indefinite forms seem a bit more... Persian...? French? some sort of oddly soft Germanic?
I think almost everything sounds very Japanese, with a few words here and there looking like some vague kind of 外国語. So you've really managed to get that JRPG aesthetic. It's impressive that you've managed to get there through sound changes, because I find that you often overshoot it, or don't get the details quite right, when you try to do that.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:35 amCooking seems to be as mismashed as anything you might find in a developed country today (characters mention eating quiches, stir-fries, "stacktoast" — had to invent a new word for "sandwich on toast", "potatoes Kokori" ("French fries"), and some sort of tomato-based sauce all in the same region as if none of these things were particularly remarkable;
Well, you've got to have a lot of different recipes to make use of all the random ingredients monsters drop.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Qwynegold wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:13 am This was not an alt-Earth language, or was it? So are you gonna use the kanji as is, or will you make up your own characters with a one-to-one correspondence?
The people speaking it could hypothetically descend from alternate humans, but there isn't any direct confirmation of this in the setting itself. I actually have ideas for actual characterforms the speakers would presumably use, but I haven't really any way of encoding them (I'm not a particularly good visual artist, but what I have in mind looks rather like a form of Kanji that evolved by being written in a cursive form with various Western tools of writing).
I think almost everything sounds very Japanese, with a few words here and there looking like some vague kind of 外国語. So you've really managed to get that JRPG aesthetic. It's impressive that you've managed to get there through sound changes, because I find that you often overshoot it, or don't get the details quite right, when you try to do that.
Aww, thank you.
Well, you've got to have a lot of different recipes to make use of all the random ingredients monsters drop.
Ehehehehe, though I haven't actually shown monsters to be a widespread problem in the world, or to drop ingredients.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 amI actually have ideas for actual characterforms the speakers would presumably use, but I haven't really any way of encoding them
What do you mean by encoding? Are you talking about making a font?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Qwynegold wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:54 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 amI actually have ideas for actual characterforms the speakers would presumably use, but I haven't really any way of encoding them
What do you mean by encoding? Are you talking about making a font?
Yes, I am. I know there are programs for it, but I don't have the graphic design skills for that.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Aha. Well, it doesn't have to be technically difficult. You could probably just copy an existing Japanese font and then replace every glyph with a design of your own. Then you could use the existing IME to write it. But you need a good aesthetic.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Qwynegold wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 am But you need a good aesthetic.
That's the trouble. I could design new characters by hand, but making them digitally...
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:03 am That's the trouble. I could design new characters by hand, but making them digitally...
Believe it or not, the design is the hard part. Do that work by hand so that you can focus on the creative aspect and not worry about any technical considerations. Once you have something you like, look into how to digitize it. At that point, it's just a technical hurdle, and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do that type of thing as well as people who answer questions on various forums: probably even here. Separating the "design by hand" and the "digitiziation" into separate steps makes both a lot easier.