Soshul meedja.

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Soshul meedja.

Post by Travis B. »

Vijay wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 pm Do these all count as social media?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vijay.john.543792/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4FHy ... zZh_9KNYug
Twitter: @VijayJohn5
Reddit: u/Depietate
Discord: Vijay#5848

Discord and Messenger are the ones I use the most.
I would say yes.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I deleted my Twitter account over the Musk thing.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

I've still not maaged to connect to Twitter the few times I decided People Were Wrong on the Internet enough.

I do have FB though, which you can add me on: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=652590708
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Today is not the day to join Twitter.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:16 am Today is not the day to join Twitter.
Thankfully I joined yesterday!
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Going back to the first page, I found this which doesn't seem unaccurate:
Hallow XIII wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:53 am Social media are divided into three types: American Psyops, Chinese Psyops, Other (VKontakte [Russian Psyop], Tumblr [???], various FOSS things with no userbase)

through extensive personal experimentation with this form of drug i have concluded that one is better off sticking to traditional psychoactive substances
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Oh, on the topic of Elon Musk and Twitter...

I think everyone should be aware by now that an unmoderated social media platform cannot work. This goes double for people who've been around for Usenet flame wars, Wikipedia edit wars and comment sections on blogs.

The only conclusion is that Musk is either an idiot or a liar. Myself, I don't think Elon Musk is an idiot.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 am The only conclusion is that Musk is either an idiot or a liar. Myself, I don't think Elon Musk is an idiot.
…or a third option, that he genuinely believes the stuff he’s been saying. There are people who actually like that atmosphere. (Or so I gather from the fact that 4chan, say, is still active.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 am
The only conclusion is that Musk is either an idiot or a liar. Myself, I don't think Elon Musk is an idiot.
As much as I hate to defend Musk on anything, I don't think being an idiot is an either/or thing. A lot of people (and I'm not necessarily excluding myself here) are pretty smart about some things and complete idiots about some other things.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:29 am
Ares Land wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 am
As much as I hate to defend Musk on anything, I don't think being an idiot is an either/or thing. A lot of people (and I'm not necessarily excluding myself here) are pretty smart about some things and complete idiots about some other things.
I think you may be right here. Musk certainly comes across as extremely socially awkward and it certainly looks like he doesn't understand people, at all.

(Unpopular opinion: I don't think Elon Musk is evil. Like many engineers though, he's an awful manager.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:34 am (Unpopular opinion: I don't think Elon Musk is evil. Like many engineers though, he's an awful manager.)
As an engineer, what I have to say is never become a manager unless your life depends upon it. You will suck at it, you will hate your job, and even if you are initially decent at it you will be promoted until you suck at it (cf. the Peter Principle).
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

What definition of evil are we working with here? If evil is a personal choice or motivation, it applies to no one. If it is a measure of social effect ("an evil wind blows in from the west," etc.), it absolutely applies to all our favorite tech billionaires
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Ares Land wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:34 am Like many engineers though, he's an awful manager.
Is he actually an engineer? So far as I know, he's mostly a CEO/entrepreneur. Wikipedia says he has a physics degree, but it's just a bachelor's (our ordinary 4-year degree... not much when it comes to physics).
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

As far as I can see he seems to be rather involved in the technical side of things at SpaceX. That may be a false impression.
Moose-tache wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:02 pm What definition of evil are we working with here? If evil is a personal choice or motivation, it applies to no one. If it is a measure of social effect ("an evil wind blows in from the west," etc.), it absolutely applies to all our favorite tech billionaires
Yes, that's pretty much what I think. (That is, I don't think Elon Musk is personally evil. Of course the nature of things means, yeah, a lot of what he's involved him will have a negative social effect.)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:02 pm What definition of evil are we working with here? If evil is a personal choice or motivation, it applies to no one.
I disagree. The idea that "no one is evil in their own mind" is still pretty popular, but I'd say the history of several decades of having the internet around has thoroughly refuted it. People who do all kinds of horribly messed up stuff "for the lulz" are basically proudly evil in their own mind, IMO.
masako

Post by masako »

Raphael wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am I deleted my Twitter account over the Musk thing.
"Saudi Prince Alwaleed says Musk will be 'excellent leader' for Twitter"

But if he's good enough for Saudi Royalty, why not for you?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I guess there are all kinds of things where I've got a somewhat different taste than some Saudi royals.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

masako wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:48 am
Raphael wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:29 am I deleted my Twitter account over the Musk thing.
"Saudi Prince Alwaleed says Musk will be 'excellent leader' for Twitter"

But if he's good enough for Saudi Royalty, why not for you?
AlWaleed bin Talal is a fascinating figure. He was one of those mirrored-sunnies and gold-plated-car kids, and now he's presenting himself as an elder statesman. He founded the AlWaleed bin Talal Center for Christian Muslim Understanding at Georgetown, which produces very subtly pro-Saudi research. And of course, he's very active on Twitter.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:14 pmAlWaleed bin Talal is a fascinating figure. He was one of those mirrored-sunnies and gold-plated-car kids, and now he's presenting himself as an elder statesman. He founded the AlWaleed bin Talal Center for Christian Muslim Understanding at Georgetown, which produces very subtly pro-Saudi research. And of course, he's very active on Twitter.
Surely you mean "mirrored-Sunnis"? He is from the Al Saud, they tend to be Wahhabists…
masako

Post by masako »

Raphael wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am I guess there are all kinds of things where I've got a somewhat different taste than some Saudi royals.
Of that, I have no doubt.