Random Thread

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: Random Thread

Post by Ares Land »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:10 am A new Sanskrit epic poem, Hiryanyaksha, My Beloved, ascribed to the mythical wordsmith Tarajilhesbhi, has been discovered. The opening lines, translated by Guillermo de Toledo:
Wonderful!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

And we have the first snow of the year.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:33 am And we have the first snow of the year.
We had the second snow of the year, and the first snow of the year to not have melted by the end of the day.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

äreo

Post by äreo »

Man in Space wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:08 pm It’s that time of year again
You've got some choice cuts there. The Dillinger Escape Plan might be the best show I've ever gone to.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Has anyone actually made a programming language on their own and what is the product lifecycle?
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

Also the internet is an attractor for people with strongly held, complex and strange or (to the general public distasteful) beliefs
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:39 pm Has anyone actually made a programming language on their own and what is the product lifecycle?
I haven’t actually made one myself yet, but I’m reasonably familiar with PL design and implementation techniques.

As for ‘product lifecycle’… well, that feels like a strange term to use for programming languages, since they don’t really have an endpoint. Once a language is used in production, people will generally continue to use it indefinitely.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Nachtswalbe wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:39 pm Has anyone actually made a programming language on their own and what is the product lifecycle?
Like perhaps Zeptoforth?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:08 am
Like perhaps Zeptoforth?
Ah, good catch! Indeed, Travis has made his own programming language. Probably Nachtswalbe should repost their question in the Computing thread so that he will see it.

(Sometimes I wish phpBB allowed for pinging… though then again, it’s probably for the best that it lacks it.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have responded to Nachtswalbe in the Computing thread, as that seems to be the right place for this.
alice

Post by alice »

Yes, at least twice, although neither got very far, and thus no "product lifecycle" to speak of.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Why was Last Action Hero generally panned by critics when it came out? IMO, that movie is brllliant!
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:54 am Why was Last Action Hero generally panned by critics when it came out? IMO, that movie is brllliant!
Yes, that's a really underrated movie. Maybe people just weren't ready for Arnold self-parodying; or maybe it was just poorly marketed.
Nachtswalbe

Post by Nachtswalbe »

I am learning Esperanto throuĝ Duolingo and once Tajpi has been installed, it makes "c h" as ĉ automatically.
Anyways, some minor frustrating features of the language are the use of the inherent suffix ending
The vocabulary, with some fluency in Spaniŝ and knowledge of Frenĉ word roots is easy to learn.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

As an example of modern language mixing, here's an email I get from Microsoft once a month (with dates changing, of course):
emailmicro.png
emailmicro.png (85.65 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Transcript behind the fold:
More: show
Your subscription to Microsoft 365 Family has been renewed

Ihr Abonnement wurde am Samstag, Dezember 02, 2023 erfolgreich verlängert. Am nächsten Verlängerungsdatum (Dienstag, Januar 02, 2024) werden EUR 10.00 einschließlich Steuern belastet.

Melden Sie sich bei Ihrem Microsoft-Konto an, um Ihre Abonnements zu verwalten. Dort können Sie beispielsweise Ihre Zahlungsmethode ändern oder ein Abonnement kündigen, um zukünftige Gebühren zu vermeiden.

Sie erhalten eine Rückerstattung Ihrer letzten wiederkehrenden Abrechnungsgebühr, wenn Sie Ihr Abonnement kündigen und innerhalb von 30 Tagen nach der Abrechnung eine Rückerstattung anfordern. Dieses Rückerstattungsrecht ist auf ein Mal pro Microsoft-Konto und Abonnementprodukt beschränkt. Wie kündige ich mein Abonnement??
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I personally prefer to not rent my software.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:12 pm I personally prefer to not rent my software.
So do I, but my own computers aren't the only ones that I'm in charge of.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Raphael wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:54 am Why was Last Action Hero generally panned by critics when it came out? IMO, that movie is brllliant!
The one thing a movie critic can never forgive is a movie that thinks it's enough to just be fun.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The title of the song Let it Snow is pretty weird. I mean, if you don't like the fact that it's snowing, what are you gonna do about it? Magically stop it from snowing?

(This random thought is brought to you by the snow in our neighborhood.)

Oh, and Happy Birthday, WeepingElf!