Random Thread

Topics that can go away
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Random Thread

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:24 am But from what I've seen in various places on the Internet, apparently every other adult in the Western world is either a sub or a dom.
No need to be coy about it. People do surveys on this sort of thing. The article references a 2015 US study which found 30% of respondents had tried spanking, 20% restraints. A 2021 survey in Norway found 34% who tried some form of BDSM, though actual bondage only got 10%. It's not too clear from the articles how often people had tried these things— there's a big difference between "once" and "every week". (Also, you get much higher percentages if you ask about fantasies, but y'know, fantasies are fantasies.)

So, it's relatively common, but your impression seems exaggerated.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:07 am I am weird here. I either want complete freedom to do what I want, or I want there to be well-defined rules and hierarchy. What I don't want is there to be ambiguous rules and hierarchy, where there is uncertainty as to what I ought to do and who I ought to follow, but I do not have the freedom to do as I please.
Ah, exactly the same here!
Companies love that sort of ambiguity about rules and hierarchy, and it's incredibly annoying.

To some extent it's because people are uncomfortable with overt authority and not eager to come across as Marine sergeants. (Though I've worked with ex-military before and found them rather easy to work with.)

Alas, part of the problem is that the uncertainty is annoying because it's meant to be annoying. You can't negotiate about the rules if there are no over rules in the first place and no one to discuss them with.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, zompist!

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:07 am I am weird here. I either want complete freedom to do what I want, or I want there to be well-defined rules and hierarchy. What I don't want is there to be ambiguous rules and hierarchy, where there is uncertainty as to what I ought to do and who I ought to follow, but I do not have the freedom to do as I please.
Same.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

It is pretty much the same with me, too. I hate unclear, ambiguous rules.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Then again, in the context of online environments, IMO unclear, ambiguous rules are better. Make the rules too clear and explicit, and asshats will get creative about being as asshat-ish as they can while technically staying within the rules, ruining the place for everyone else in the process.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Making some good old classic vegetables in an omelette. I find omelettes without vegetables are barely edible.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Apparently "Okay renter" is now an insult amongst boomers. Glad i live with decent parents.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:29 am Apparently "Okay renter" is now an insult amongst boomers. Glad i live with decent parents.
I'm not old enough to remember it, but I have enough historical awareness to know about the times when the boomers were mostly criticized by generations older than them for being too radical. Sic transit...
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:34 am

I'm not old enough to remember it, but I have enough historical awareness to know about the times when the boomers were mostly criticized by generations older than them for being too radical. Sic transit...
There's a French song about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__1qKLCKMI
(Rough translation: "Age doesn't matter, if you're an asshole, you're an asshole")
The message is, alas, lost on the younger generations and we too hate the boomers.

I don't like that generation war fad much. If it's all the boomers' fault anyway, there's no point in asking hard questions about the economy, is there?
Besides, my own generation (I'm pushing 40) is, if anything, creating more problems than the boomers ever did. We're the age group that most votes for the far-right, for instance.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just discovered this great post Molly White posted earlier this year: "Sam Bankman-Fried is not a child":

https://newsletter.mollywhite.net/p/sam ... ot-a-child

After the first paragraph describes various ways in which the guy has been living a regular adult life for a while, the second paragraph simply notes:
But reading headlines and news stories, you would be forgiven if up until now you had thought he was a teenager still driving around on a learner’s permit, who picked up cryptocurrency trading to avoid the types of high school summer jobs that might force him to go outside.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It's October 5th, we're in the cool-temperate part of the Northern Hemisphere, and the thermometer on our balcony is showing 20° Celsius (68° Fahrenheit) in the shade. This is getting ridiculous.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 am It's October 5th, we're in the cool-temperate part of the Northern Hemisphere, and the thermometer on our balcony is showing 20° Celsius (68° Fahrenheit) in the shade. This is getting ridiculous.
20 °C is perfectly normal for this time of year. On the other hand, Northern Hemisphere seasons are all weird.

What’s not normal is getting 35 °C, like we did the other day.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

On my way back at night from the UW Whitewater state marching band competition, on curvy dark country roads with very high speed limits for roads their size (think 55 mph on unlit two-line roads with no median), I managed to hit a good-sized deer, but somehow my car came out undamaged, and the deer managed to run away, somehow...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:45 pmcurvy dark country roads with very high speed limits for roads their size (think 55 mph on unlit two-line roads with no median)
When I was a senior in college, I had a grey ‘06 Corolla LE on which the headlights were not angled very well. I was driving to my friend’s place half a state away one Friday evening/Saturday morning. It was about 3:00 AM and I took a wrong exit and promptly got lost.

Oklahoma Scenic Highway 10 in the dead of night is a hellscape. Fifty-plus-foot trees absolutely plastered on either side of a twisty, winding road, and I couldn’t see. I called my friend and told him what was going on; he was familiar with where I wound up and retrieved me. Still white-knuckle terrifying.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My question is why are deer suicidal? Why do they choose the moment just when one's car is too close to stop for it to jump right in front of it?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

A selection effect. Deer are crossing roads all the time - but get noticed only when they collide or nearly collide with a car. The many crossings where no car is near go unnoticed.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:44 pm A selection effect. Deer are crossing roads all the time - but get noticed only when they collide or nearly collide with a car. The many crossings where no car is near go unnoticed.
Yes, I get that, but in this case (and another case I saw firsthand but was not in the vehicle in question) the deer ran directly into the vehicle with little over a second's warning. In my case I managed to slam on the brakes immediately, such that I only clipped the deer, whereas in the other case the deer was sucked under the vehicle in question. I have seen on a couple other times deer crossing the road in front of me, but in those cases at least the deer gave enough lead time that I did not even need to slow down.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Some images I told the DALL-E 3 image generator to create: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r7Xtfr ... sp=sharing
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:50 amMy question is why are deer suicidal? Why do they choose the moment just when one's car is too close to stop for it to jump right in front of it?
The logical answer to me is that they get startled. Moreover, cars move much faster and have a harder time coming to a halt than anything else in their natural environment except perhaps floods and landslides. Deer haven't evolved to correctly reckon their speed and stopping distance (though I suppose there's significant natural selection pressure in that direction now).
fusijui

Post by fusijui »

Re: the zoominess of deer, I saved a comment from somewhere (Twitter? Tumblr? A blog?) once about 'Why Horses Are So Fucked', which I'm reposting below -- less images and slightly condensed. I don't have the original URL any more.

My entirely half-assed understanding of Why Horses Explode If You Look At Them Funny, As Explained To Me By My Aunt That Raises Horses After Her Third Glass Of Wine:

Horses don’t got enough toes.

So, back right after the dinosaurs fucked off and joined the choir invisible, the first ancestors of horses were scampering about, little capybara-looking things called Eohippus, and they had four toes per limb.

They functioned pretty well, as near as we can tell from the fossil record, but they were mostly messing around in the leaf litter of dense forests, where one does not necessarily need to be fast but one should be nimble, and the 4 toes per limb worked out pretty good.

But the descendants of Eophippus moved out of the forest where there was lots of cover and onto the open plains, where there was better forage and visibility, but nowhere to hide, so the proto-horses that could ZOOM the fastest and out run their predators (or, at least, their other herd members) tended to do well. Here’s the thing -- having lots of toes means your foot touches the ground longer when you run, and it spreads a lot of your momentum to the sides. Great if you want to pivot and dodge, terrible if you want to ZOOM. So losing toes started being a major advantage for proto-horses.

The problem with having fewer toes and running Really Fucking Fast is that it kind of fucks your everything else up.

When a horse runs at full gallop, it sort of… stops actively breathing, letting the slosh of its guts move its lungs, which is tremendously calorically efficient and means their breathing doesn’t fall out of sync. But it also means that the abdominal lining of a horse is weirdly flexible in ways that lead to way more hernias and intestinal tangling than other ungulates. It also has a relatively weak diaphragm for something it’s size, so ANY kind of respiratory infection is a Major Fucking Problem because the horse has weak lungs.

When a horse runs Real Fucking Fast, it also develops a bit of a fluid dynamics problem -- most mammals have the blood going out of their heart real fast and coming back from the far reaches of the toes much slower and its structure reflects that. But since there is Only The One Toe, horse blood comes flying back up the veins toward the heart way the fuck faster than veins are meant to handle, which means horses had to evolve special veins that constrict to Slow the Blood Down, which you will recognize as a Major Cardiovascular Disease in most mammals. These poorly-regulated blood speed problems mean horses are prone to heart problems, burst veins, embolisms, and hemophilia. Also they have apparently a billion blood types and I’m not sure how that’s related but I am sure that’s another Hot Mess they have to deal with.

ALSO, the Blood-Going-Too-Fast issue and being Just Huge Motherfuckers means horses have trouble distributing oxygen properly, and have compensated by creating fucked up bones that replicate the way birds store air in their bones but much, much shittier. So if a horse breaks its leg, not only is it suffering a Major Structural Issue (also also -- breaking a toe is much more serious when that toe is YOUR WHOLE DAMN FOOT AND HALF YOUR LEG), it’s also having a hemorrhage and might be sort of suffocating a little.

ALSO ALSO, the fast that horses had to deal with Extremely Fast Predators for most of their evolution means that they are now afflicted with evolutionarily-adaptive anxiety, which is not great for their already barely-functioning hearts, and makes them, frankly, fucking mental. Part of the reason horses are so aggro is that if denied the opportunity to ZOOM, its options left are “Kill Everyone And Then Yourself” or “The Same But Skip Step One And Just Fucking Die”. The other reason is that a horse is in a race against itself -- it’s gotta breed before it falls apart, so a horse basically has a permanent terrorboner.

TL;DR: Horses don’t have enough toes and that makes them very, very fast, but also sickly, structurally unsound, have wildly OP blood that sometimes kills them, and drives them fucking insane.
Personally, I would never even consider raising horses until after my FOURTH glass of wine...