Lexicon Building

Conworlds and conlangs
Pabappa

Re: Lexicon Building

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:44 am
next: mustache
Tapilula:
àmi ḳà tèna ... not really a word they'd have used, but a proto-form that appears in the other languages.

Gold:
miḳatàna
mīʕtàna , direct descendants of the above. The first is the proper diachronic result, the second is that plus a common analogical modification.

Play:
yana sifa
yana nue, where the presumed /mi-/ prefix has been deleted since /mi/ is Play for body hair and thus seen as redundant. (The mīʕ~miḳa above is cognate but not directly so.)

Poswa:
pufurwu , from Play pu pa nue vakiu, roughly "covering bottom feelers" and only distantly cognate to the Play word for mustache.
lavurwu, less common but closer to the Play original; this derives from Play yana nue vakiu, "mustache feelers".

Why the word for mustache uses 'bottom" instead of top is because the latter phrase once meant "beard" and so a mustache is seen as a "covering beard".
masako

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:28 pm next: top point of the sky; directly overhead
A bit of an odd concept, but useful nonetheless

Kala:

ua'eheua - (lit: the sky above) top point; overhead; the top margin

next: traitor; turncoat; rebel; renegade; insurgent
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm next: traitor; turncoat; rebel; renegade; insurgent
Keševan kuzuru 'traitor, turncoat'. An agentive -u added to the verb kuzurse 'betray', itself deriving from a root meaning 'change'.

next: sunburn
sasasha

Post by sasasha »

Peoppaeq litcu 'sun pain/damage'.

Next: verbose
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

sasasha wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:12 am Next: verbose
Keševan žekanorga 'verbose, prolix, wordy, long-winded', a borrowing from the Calintese verbal yeccanorgi 'be verbose', derived from yecca 'word'.

next: recover
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 amnext: recover
Kala:

tekya - recover; heal

next: sediment; deposit (geology)
din

Post by din »

in Tormiott:

muantgîteio ˈmwɛntɰɪiˌtəjʊ (n) sediment, dregs; deposit (geology)
lit. 'that which has been sat down', from ngite 'to sit, to be sitting'

- - -

next: to shred
auno ie nasi porh notthiai îsond
i me aiargaui ô melis miurcir
masako

Post by masako »

din wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:02 pmnext: to shred
Kala:

tela - cut; slice >> + nua (frequentative) = telanua - shred; chop

next: to swell; distend
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 pm next: to swell; distend
Keševan immurse, immuro 'swell'. (the principal parts are the infinitive and 3rd person singular)

next: jealous
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 amnext: jealous
Kala:

yalo - covet; be envious; be jealous

next: to convert; to exchange
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:29 am next: to convert; to exchange
Keševan udezurse, udezuro, udezurta 'replace, exchange', also in the sense of converting money which is what I think you meant. (The principal parts are the infinitive, 3rd person singular, passive participle)

next: to banish, to exile, to expel
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 pm next: to banish, to exile, to expel
Kala:

sutamyonke - "to disallow dwelling"; banish, exile

next: to christen; to designate
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:05 pm next: to christen; to designate
Keševan šepeûse, šepelo, šepelta 'christen, name'. (The root pel means 'name'.)

next: weird, strange, odd
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 am
next: weird, strange, odd
Poswa:

župilas random, unpredictable, uncontrolled
pumwupos abnormal, impossible to measure
pappafap unpredictable, indescribable

Sample sentences forthcoming if I find the time.

There is one other word that can express a similar concept:
pamba tail; to stand out

The difference between this word and the others is that it needs a noun phrase in the genitive case to refer back to in order to take on its idiomatic meaning. Calling someone a tail on its own doesnt mean that they're weird; they have to be the tail of something. This word is not considered an insult, because by referring to someone as a tail, the speaker is calling a bunch of other people the rump.

I'm really out of practice with Poswa, because I've been pouring all my attention into Icecap Moonshine, which is much more difficult to work with. So these are not new lexical roots, but are new creations in the sense that I had to think for a few minutes to remember how the morphemes fit together.

Pabappa:
wususim to lack a common property

This could be used to describe something or someone who stands out from their group. For example, the only dark-haired person in a room full of blondes, or the only man in a classroom full of women. It can also be used to describe someone who stands out from their own group, but context is required. For example, sapsa wususim, "weird man", might describe a man with feminine traits, but sapsa susis wususim, with the addition of sus "woman" in the genitive case, describes a man inhabiting a space that is otherwise all-female. Thus sapsa "man" can be omitted or replaced with a proper name given the right context, e.g. to imply "he's really out of place among all those women".

Less commonly, instead of a freestanding noun like "woman" one will use a property thereof, e.g. poppap "womb". Referring to women by their wombs or other female body parts is not considered derogatory in Pabap culture, and they do it with other body parts as well ... e.g. "I was the only one with dark hair among all those with blonde hair" ... I didnt just use 'brunette' and 'blonde' because in Pabappa the word for "hair of the head" would appear.

Post by masako »

Pabappa wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:57 am next: shirt, blouse, sleeved upper garment
Kala:

nampa - blouse; shirt; vest

next: to embody; to reflect; to incarnate
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

masako wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:22 pmnext: to embody; to reflect; to incarnate
PTO *ðeʁoktʲioŋ 'imitate, follow the example of' > CT lïksúĝ 'embody, reflect, incarnate'

next: cocaine, coca-derived stimulant (or the equivalent in your conworld)
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:57 am next: cocaine, coca-derived stimulant (or the equivalent in your conworld)
Hmmm the Keševans don't have cocaine, nor an equivalent that I can imagine, so this word will belong to the same category as lurabša 'computer' or češán 'internet'--useful for me to describe our world but not existing in the "canon" language. So let "cocaine" be kókašga, calqued from Eng. cocaine.

next: itchy
masako

Post by masako »

Yalensky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am next: itchy
Kala:

muni - itch; itchiness

next: to form; to take shape
Yalensky

Post by Yalensky »

masako wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:53 pm next: to form; to take shape
Keševan imáčase, imačo 'form, take shape, manifest'. The principal parts are the infinitive and 3rd person singular forms. (In some of my other posts I'll also show a passive participle as a principal part. When I don't, it's either because the verb is intransitive as in this instance or because the participle can be formed regularly.) From the word hača, one of whose meanings is 'reality'. Thus, 'to enreality onself' if calqued into English.

next: immigrant
Pabappa

Post by Pabappa »

Yalensky wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:04 pm
next: immigrant
Poswa:
žappipempinanta, or for brevity pipempinanta. The first means "one who has crossed a border", the second means "one who has crossed a line". The Poswobs are pacifists and they would think of immigrants before they would think of soldiers in this context, and the negative associations of crossing a line in English are not present here either.

Though these words look like they end in the agent suffix -ta, roughly equivalent to English "-er", etymologically they do not .... there is a different suffix that means "one who has done ____ at least once". Here, I decided to reanalyze this novel suffix as /-nta/, with which it will merge in most cases .... this is something I might change, however, as I havent worked with Poswa in quite a long time and there may be a reason I did not do this before. /-nta/ would be understood by the speakers as a compound of the locative /-m/ and the unadorned agentive /-ta/.

Note also the unrelated nopapta "tourist", which unlike English implies habitual aspect, .... a nopapta is someone who visits other countries frequently, not just one country at one particular time. This is why it gets a true -ta. It is the reflexive form of the verb for abduction.

i might even end up changing /-ta/ itself, even though it's been the same for more than ten years, because right now it's the only exception to the rule that posttonic syllables cannot be heavy (note that nasal+stop is not considered a cluster). But that might just be fatigue, since I've worked around that rule in other situations.

Icecap Moonshine
parňaṛēy (feminine)
parňaṛìn (masculine)

Very very preliminary words here, as IMS is far from settled. There will be an epicene gender and possibly separate forms for the plurals of all three genders. Epicene here refers to masculine and feminine combined, and in the proto-language it therefore had no singular form. In IMS, if there is a singular form, it would take over as the default gender, even though IMS is a highly feministic society where women are in control of all affairs and one might stereotypically anticipate feminine gender to be the default.

next:
to dive, swoop