The Computer And General Tech Thread - Software, Hardware, Questions, etc.

Topics that can go away
WarpedWartWars

Re: The Computer And General Tech Thread - Software, Hardware, Questions, etc.

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 pm "1895, George MacDonald, Lilith‎[1]:

She began to moan, and sigh deep sighs, then murmur as holding colloquy with a dividual self: her queendom was no longer whole; it was divided against itself."
Where? I don't see that quote there.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

WarpedWartWars wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:36 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:48 pm "1895, George MacDonald, Lilith‎[1]:

She began to moan, and sigh deep sighs, then murmur as holding colloquy with a dividual self: her queendom was no longer whole; it was divided against itself."
Where? I don't see that quote there.
It was right there on the screen when I looked up the word. I do not know what else to tell you.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 pm
WarpedWartWars wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:36 pm Where? I don't see that quote there.
It was right there on the screen when I looked up the word. I do not know what else to tell you.
I was looking at the Merriam-Webster dictionary, and it isn't there. And searching "define dividual", I still don't see it.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Oh, I was looking at Wiktionary.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Richard W wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:35 am
rotting bones wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:40 pm There are trade-offs between space and time complexity.
zyxw59 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:37 pm The complication here is with Unicode canonical equivalence. The example here is as follows:
A sequence of n copies of U+07F3 is canonically equivalent to a sequence of n copies of U+07F1 followed by n copies of U+07F2. Thus, with the requirement that the set of strings recognized is closed under canonical equivalence, /\u07F3*/ is not a regular expression (since it matches strings of the form anbn for all n)

As far as I'm aware, this level of Unicode-awareness is not generally found it regex engines
If I understand this correctly, it seems to violate the assumption of strings in a fixed alphabet.
Yes. If you think of a monoid (semigroup with a (distinguished) identity) of strings in a fixed alphabet, then there is a moderately well known generalisation that allows some pairs of letters in the alphabet to commute. This is known by various names - trace monoid, free partially commutative monoid, independence monoid. A key point is that a process that is compliant to the Unicode Standard shall not deliberately yield different results for canonically equivalent strings. Now there is a theorem (Sakarovitch, 1992) that says it is undecidable as to whether a rational expression (one formed by union, concatenation and Kleene star) in Unicode characters defines a regular expression for the trace of Unicode strings under canonical equivalence.
This paper says the trace monoids represent parallel or concurrent programs, the commutation representing the ambiguity in finishing times. Distributed architectures are known to be weaker than Turing Machines.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just got a software update for an e-reader I bought in 2017. I'm somewhat happy about that, because these days, all too many electronic gadget makers would tell owners of gadgets which are almost five years old that we should buy a newer model instead of still sending us software updates.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have been creating more wiki pages documenting zeptoforth for the general user. My wiki pages do not cover everything by any means but form a basic set guides for informing the user, especially with regard to less standard zeptoforth functionality.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What's the point of Blu-Ray discs?

No, I'm not talking about how all optical data media are obsolete these days, what with streaming services and near-omnipresent pirated stuff. I'm one of the three people in the world who still occasionally spend money on DVDs myself. No, my point is more like this:

The parts of the internet where I don't think I can comment on whether I've ever visited them or not without talking to my lawyers first seem to be full of files ripped from Blu-Rays that keep Blu-Ray quality, but fit it neatly into a number of bytes that would fit comfortably on a DVD. Or so I hear. So why not simply put a Blu-Ray quality video file on a DVD, instead of using a whole new different medium?
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Remember that Blu-Ray discs are already 15 years old. Video encoding formats have kept improving, to the point that now it's possible to encode a Full HD film into a file that could fit on a DVD - if you have the brand-new codec to read it, and if your computer is powerful enough to decode it in real-time.

But if you have mid-Noughties codecs, and you have to freeze the format; and you want to start making players that read the format in real time, and sell them at a reasonable price; and you want it out of the gate soon, because Full HD is now a thing... Well, the only way is to increase the capacity.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ah, thank you! They're that old already? Wow, time flies past...
alice

Post by alice »

This reminds me that it was nearly 25 years ago that I interviewed for a job writing a "DVD Authoring System", which was the first time I'd heard of DVDs.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just rediscovered the old (2007) Richter Scales song and video Here Comes Another Bubble, to the tune of We Didn't Start The Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6IQ_FOCE6I

And I was struck by how current a lot of it still seems to be, despite it being 15 years old.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

What's the "W3C [Validator]" there?
w3c.png
w3c.png (18.68 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:34 pm What's the "W3C [Validator]" there?

w3c.png
Presumably https://validator.w3.org/ or similar.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zeptoforth 0.45.0, now with SDHC/SDXC card and FAT32 filesystem support, is out!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:30 pm
Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:34 pm What's the "W3C [Validator]" there?

w3c.png
Presumably https://validator.w3.org/ or similar.
Thank you!
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Well, that's it: I've finally got rid of my last Windows OS. As of now, all my computers are running Linux or BSD.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ryusenshi wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 am Well, that's it: I've finally got rid of my last Windows OS. As of now, all my computers are running Linux or BSD.
I've been running Linux since over 20 years ago myself. This machine theoretically has Windows on it, but I've only booted into it twice, the second time to verify that a web application I wrote worked on Chrome under Windows so I could actually claim that I'd tested it on Windows.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Windows is strictly forbidden in the house here. It knows what it did.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:18 am Windows is strictly forbidden in the house here. It knows what it did.
What if, at some point in the future, one of your kids wants to use a windows-only software?