Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Venting thread

Post by Travis B. »

I am trying to fix my LED-controlling HTTP server demo, which manages to hang a loop where I have curl send it HTTP requests, one after another, repeatedly every so often despite my best efforts to fix it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Just dropping in, as reading and posting here is very compromised these days.

I lost my father ten days ago, and very busy trying to find a nursing home for my mother.

We're all very sad of course, but in a sense it's kind of relief -- he was 83 and the last year was really bad for him. So in a way I'm relieved he's finally free from all the pain and confusion.
Finding a nursing home for my mother is an unmitigated pain in the ass, though, as we're fighting against all sorts of medical and administrative stupidity.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am I lost my father ten days ago, and very busy trying to find a nursing home for my mother.
My condolences. Hope you and your family are doing OK.
Just dropping in, as reading and posting here is very compromised these days.
Reported already.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

My condolences, too, Ares Land, and good luck fighting the stupidity.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am Just dropping in, as reading and posting here is very compromised these days.

I lost my father ten days ago, and very busy trying to find a nursing home for my mother.

We're all very sad of course, but in a sense it's kind of relief -- he was 83 and the last year was really bad for him. So in a way I'm relieved he's finally free from all the pain and confusion.
Finding a nursing home for my mother is an unmitigated pain in the ass, though, as we're fighting against all sorts of medical and administrative stupidity.
I'm very sorry to hear, and I really hope that you can fight your way around the stupidity.
alice

Post by alice »

Very sorry to hear that, Ares Land. I hope the nonsense all sorts itself out.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Thanks everyone!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Condolences frrom me as well, and I hope you find a good place for your mother!
xxx

Post by xxx »

I join my colleagues in expressing my condolences...
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Sorry to hear that.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

My condolences, too.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Somehow I seemed to have drawn the ire of some rando on Wiktionary, which I edit regularly. His latest criticism is that I "have no affinity" for some of the languages I edit which is...unhelpfully vague? It's gotten to the point where today I looked up what Wiktionary's harassment policies are only to find out there are none.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:27 am Somehow I seemed to have drawn the ire of some rando on Wiktionary, which I edit regularly. His latest criticism is that I "have no affinity" for some of the languages I edit which is...unhelpfully vague? It's gotten to the point where today I looked up what Wiktionary's harassment policies are only to find out there are none.
After the deletionists took over the Wiki I decided that I wouldn't edit it lest my edits be deleted/reverted by some overzealous editor...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:47 am
Linguoboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:27 am Somehow I seemed to have drawn the ire of some rando on Wiktionary, which I edit regularly. His latest criticism is that I "have no affinity" for some of the languages I edit which is...unhelpfully vague? It's gotten to the point where today I looked up what Wiktionary's harassment policies are only to find out there are none.
After the deletionists took over the Wiki I decided that I wouldn't edit it lest my edits be deleted/reverted by some overzealous editor...
I haven't really run into this myself, thankfully. I think that's one of the most annoying things about this particular conflict. A least if he were deleting my entries it would give me grounds for escalating things. The other editor who's been most critical of my work has made numerous edits to my entries (mostly using a bot) which have, IMO, only improved them. This other guy, by contrast, just seems to like to complain. You don't think my entries have enough references? Well, nothing in the world is preventing you from adding some. It is a wiki after all.
malloc

Post by malloc »

The license plates for my car expire in two weeks so I had to get my car an emissions test to renew them. Unfortunately, the test failed because something in the engine is broken and now I must spend the next few weeks and hundreds or even thousands of dollars getting the engine fixed, then retaking the test and renewing the plates. No idea whether I will even solve the problem in time since it will require scheduling several appointments over many days. It really sucks having a cheap beater car when even the most basic trips around here require cars.

Furthermore my microwave just went completely dead. This poses massive problems since I rely heavily on preparing food on weekends so I have very little free time on workdays. Given my incredibly tight budget with the broken car, buying a new microwave is probably not an option, assuming I could even install it myself.

Also one of the youtubers on my subscription list got caught plagiarizing and claimed that he intended to credit the original source but forgot. The blogger he plagiarized made it clear that he ripped off the blog post, not only copying factual text but passing off personal speculation as his own ideas. Deeply disappointing, especially in light of the recent controversy over youtube plagiarism. He really should have known better if nothing else.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

My new job, barely started, has already turned sour. The archive I have been asked to took after has turned out to be a terrible mess which requires years of work that goes far beyond my qualification. I am simply the wrong man for it.
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

WeepingElf wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 am My new job, barely started, has already turned sour. The archive I have been asked to took after has turned out to be a terrible mess which requires years of work that goes far beyond my qualification. I am simply the wrong man for it.
Ugh, that sucks.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:54 am
WeepingElf wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 am My new job, barely started, has already turned sour. The archive I have been asked to took after has turned out to be a terrible mess which requires years of work that goes far beyond my qualification. I am simply the wrong man for it.
Ugh, that sucks.
That really does suck.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:04 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:54 am
Ugh, that sucks.
That really does suck.
By now, I see this in a cooler way. There are problems with the job, but there may be a way to solve them. On Tuesday, I have a meeting with my superior and my social advisor, and perhaps we'll find a way to carry on. I want to keep this job, and I am very confident that my superior wants to keep me, too. She has said that the job profile is not hewn in stone but can be changed to meet my abilities and limitations.
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Had another bout of 1990s nostalgia last night, which kept me from sleeping.