Venting thread

Topics that can go away
hwhatting

Re: Venting thread

Post by hwhatting »

Mach hin, Mann! Fang an zu schreiben! ;-)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:31 am Thank you! It's not about novels, anyway.
書けよ!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, everyone! Now I think I've made a good start on a short piece, but I'm not at all sure how to bring it to a conclusion.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Keep writing. A conclusion will suggest itself...

...eventually...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:35 pm Keep writing. A conclusion will suggest itself...

...eventually...
*breaks into song*

Somehow
Somedaaay
Somewheeeeeereeee
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

On the glorious day when the illuminati finally make me god-emperor of the English language, I'll decree that chnage is the official spelling. Because that is what I produce every fucking time I type the word.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:05 am On the glorious day when the illuminati finally make me god-emperor of the English language, I'll decree that chnage is the official spelling. Because that is what I produce every fucking time I type the word.
Personally, I'm more for tjeendj or tjeindj, but that's me.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Feeling horrible because I accidentally ran over a goose on my way home from work. It was dark out and by the time I realized it was standing in the middle of the road, it was too late to swerve or stop.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Poor thing. All the best to you!
malloc

Post by malloc »

My doctor is convinced that I am underweight and I have an appointment tomorrow. No idea what to expect given that my diet has little apparent room for improvement. The only way to get more calories is eating more junk food, but that hardly seems an improvement. Undoubtedly he will try to talk me out of veganism, but even that will make little difference. I was hardly any heavier than now when I ate fried chicken and put half-and-half in my coffee.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
alynnidalar

Post by alynnidalar »

Err, why would you need to eat junk food for calories? Just eat more of whatever normal food you're eating--all food has calories in it.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

malloc wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:08 pm My doctor is convinced that I am underweight and I have an appointment tomorrow. No idea what to expect given that my diet has little apparent room for improvement. The only way to get more calories is eating more junk food, but that hardly seems an improvement. Undoubtedly he will try to talk me out of veganism, but even that will make little difference. I was hardly any heavier than now when I ate fried chicken and put half-and-half in my coffee.
I don't see why that would be the only way to get more calories.

That said, if your doctor doesn't think veganism is doing you any favours, you might consider what they advise. If you have moral objections to eating meat, I don't see why you couldn't perhaps switch to vegetarianism.
malloc

Post by malloc »

alynnidalar wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 amErr, why would you need to eat junk food for calories? Just eat more of whatever normal food you're eating--all food has calories in it.
I have a small stomach and can't eat more than I already am.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:05 pm
alynnidalar wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 amErr, why would you need to eat junk food for calories? Just eat more of whatever normal food you're eating--all food has calories in it.
I have a small stomach and can't eat more than I already am.
So eat more times in a day perhaps?
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

malloc wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:08 pm My doctor is convinced that I am underweight and I have an appointment tomorrow. No idea what to expect given that my diet has little apparent room for improvement. The only way to get more calories is eating more junk food, but that hardly seems an improvement. Undoubtedly he will try to talk me out of veganism, but even that will make little difference. I was hardly any heavier than now when I ate fried chicken and put half-and-half in my coffee.
I used to be underweight until I suddenly wasn't. Biology has a way of catching up as you approach 40 :)

At one point it got pretty bad and my doctor worried about it but I don't remember discussing diet that deeply. She just prescribed protein shakes.

I'm not a vegan, but it's well known veganism has no effect on your health besides possible vitamin B12 deficiency. There's no good medical reason to talk you out of veganism really.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:22 am
I used to be underweight until I suddenly wasn't. Biology has a way of catching up as you approach 40 :)
Happened to me in my 20s. Now I'm fat.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

I used to be able to eat what and as much as I wanted and was still skinny; that changed in my fourties. I developed a waistline, and it got me near diabetes; what helped was slightly changing my diet (less sugar and carbs) and getting up from behind my PC. Nothing radical, just daily walks (my goal is 6000 steps per day, which I manage about 4-5 times per week). My waistline didn't disappear, but it got stable, I dropped a bit of weight, and my blood sugar values are back to normal. The important thing is what you do regularly - you can gorge on cake every couple of weeks if you want; regular sugar and carb intake is what harms you. You need to get some mild exercise (almost) daily - being a couch potato all month and then going full boot camp on one weekend doesn't help at all.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

This thing is something I know, too. In my youth, I was skinny; now (at 53) I am not fat, but not particularly thin either (my BMI hovers around 25).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Ares Land wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:22 am
I'm not a vegan, but it's well known veganism has no effect on your health besides possible vitamin B12 deficiency. There's no good medical reason to talk you out of veganism really.
True, but a vegan diet is not some sort of health guarantee. You still have to watch what you're eating-- make sure you get enough proteins, that you balance your grains/beans. Vegan food can also be high-calorie, so I highly doubt that junk food is the only alternative.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This is a tiny, insignificant vent, but I'm pretty sure there is a major bug in the firmware for my ESP8285 radio on my Wio RP2040 boards. Specifically, if I try to close the current connection the ESP8285 resets itself, which is rather inconvenient. Apparently I am not the only one to run into this issue as it has been reported for it's close relative the ESP8266 as far back as 2015...