It's awful when that happens.
Ares Land

Re: Venting thread

Post by Ares Land »

Hope you feel better soon!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:29 pm It's awful when that happens.

Ares Land wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:36 am Hope you feel better soon!
Thank you. I'm already feeling a bit better for the moment.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Was having a great Christmas, then remembered a past winter incident and now I’m pissed/sad.

Was ice skating back in either junior high or late elementary school. Some girl skates up behind me and gets my attention, says “You’re sexy,” and skates off. At the time I had no idea what to do; I didn’t think anybody could say that and mean it. Now I’m sitting at home kicking myself.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I've also been having a great Christmas but I am really anxious to get home from Illinois so I can check on how a set of concurrent test programs, some of them multicore, are running under zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico. After all the bad luck I have had with multicore in the past week, having to put out two new bug-fix releases in two days (the second on Christmas Eve), I am not confident that it will still be running when I get home, and hence I feel like I need to see it running.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:45 pm Was having a great Christmas, then remembered a past winter incident and now I’m pissed/sad.

Was ice skating back in either junior high or late elementary school. Some girl skates up behind me and gets my attention, says “You’re sexy,” and skates off. At the time I had no idea what to do; I didn’t think anybody could say that and mean it. Now I’m sitting at home kicking myself.
It's probably that, if there be any assumptions, that we assume the best. In this case, that means that she probably was just giving you an honest compliment even if you were surprised to hear it.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Minor-ish vent: trip to California got kiboshed thanks to Southwest cancelling flights and ended up spending four hours on hold to figure out what to do. The solution, unfortunately, was that the trip got cancelled because the next available flight was on the 1st, and I was supposed to return from CA on the 3rd... at least I got a complete refund for all the tickets, though.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

The Southwest meltdown has been horrifying and only cements my resolve not to travel around the holidays.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:38 pm The Southwest meltdown has been horrifying and only cements my resolve not to travel around the holidays.
Thankfully the only relatives I'd visit around the holidays are my sister's family, and they live in Illinois, so no flight messiness. Typically we visit them on Christmas, and if the weather is bad on Christmas we visit them on the day after.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:38 pm The Southwest meltdown has been horrifying and only cements my resolve not to travel around the holidays.
I'm just happy (happier) it happened before I left for California (and while I was in NC, so at least I have time with family!). Thing is that, to go home anyways, I do need to fly from the Nether Regions back to the US, though (and that's unavoidable, particularly since I can't convince the family I want to visit to come visit me), so I always do it to have enough of a buffer so I can be home by Christmas with a few days to spare.
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Minor vent of sorts. (CW: sex)
More: show
Almost fourteen years ago (!), one of the teachers I had in high school, who came off as a generally cool guy and the like, was charged with multiple counts of having sex with one of his students, which is a felony in North Carolina (each count is up to three years in prison, and he was facing five or six counts, once per act). After the case dragged on for a few years, they negotiated a plea deal to a single count of misdemeanor sexual battery, which carried 60 days' imprisonment and probation, but sex offender registration for at least 10 years and the end of his teaching career. Heard intermittently about the victim in the case with some national media features, but nothing too much in the meantime... and the (now former) teacher moved back to Ohio and went along his merry way, but I'd heard nothing about/from him in the meantime.

I don't know why, but while I was back in the US for Christmas, I decided to look up said former teacher (with whom I was on good terms, pre-"events") and see if there were any updates on where he was and all... and, well, he's in federal prison for soliciting sex with a minor, and got put away for ten years for that on a plea deal (more disturbing was that he was charged with soliciting a thirteen year old, but the plea deal was for a sixteen year old, which really doesn't make it better).

The things you learn about people that you wish you didn't...
aka vampireshark
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

doctor shark wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pmthe plea deal was for a sixteen year old, which really doesn't make it better
Age-wise, that's not really a big deal for Europeans. It's still illegal for teachers/students. But 16 isn't even the lowest age of consent in Europe.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'm damn scared right now.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:27 am I'm damn scared right now.
Can we help in some way?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:03 pm
Raphael wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:27 am I'm damn scared right now.
Can we help in some way?
Not really, thank you.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I keep putting off writing, and spend my spare time reading instead. Please tell me to start writing!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pm I keep putting off writing, and spend my spare time reading instead. Please tell me to start writing!
Start writing.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 pm
Raphael wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pm I keep putting off writing, and spend my spare time reading instead. Please tell me to start writing!
Start writing.
Don't wait for November!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you! It's not about novels, anyway.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Start writing! :)