What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Qwynegold wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 am
GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Oh, that looks really well developed! :o I would just advise to use proper capitalization at the front page, because people might refrain from clicking any of the links, assuming the rest of the text is poorly written.
their loss!
This sort of arrogance also makes further exploration of the page unappealing.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

FWIW I didn’t even notice the capitalisation until you pointed it out.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Emily

Post by Emily »

it is insane to me that this conversation is apparently still happening in 2021
Emily

Post by Emily »

typing in all (or mostly) lowercase is a time-honored internet tradition and it seems absurd to me to argue that it makes people hold their nose in disgust and turn tail because i didn't capitalize some E's and R's. it's bonkers that this argument is being litigated in regard to the write-up to a frankly very lazy conlang that is basically one or two steps above middle-school level "yo eat-o some food-o at el restaurant-o". who am i turning away by "arrogantly" not capitalizing the paragraph above a pair of cell phone photos of my tv showing paused mission impossible episodes on netflix? literary agents? am i losing my big break to have "yo caufo uni narangi por mi madra" published on the mass market? what are you talking about
Last edited by Emily on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am updated some stuff in ruritanian today and redid the anthrologi.ca pages for it, including uploading a dictionary! next up is uploading the dictionary (-ies?) of names and the geographical dictionary, as well as finally getting around to writing up the syntax rules

http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Did you pick the lines that appear in the footer? I love them
website footer wrote:Well, I’ve, uh, been working on this for six months! I’m, uh, writin’ a... macro. For your birthday.
:lol:
Emily

Post by Emily »

quinterbeck wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:13 pm
GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am updated some stuff in ruritanian today and redid the anthrologi.ca pages for it, including uploading a dictionary! next up is uploading the dictionary (-ies?) of names and the geographical dictionary, as well as finally getting around to writing up the syntax rules

http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Did you pick the lines that appear in the footer? I love them
website footer wrote:Well, I’ve, uh, been working on this for six months! I’m, uh, writin’ a... macro. For your birthday.
:lol:
no, that's part of the anthologi.ca site, which i think is run by someone from this board. not sure who writes the footers
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 am typing in all (or mostly) lowercase is a time-honored internet tradition and it seems absurd to me to argue that it make people hold their nose in disgust and turn tail because i didn't capitalize some E's and R's.
Sort of. It depends on the context. If it's an IM where speed matters, then yeah, pretty much everyone will happily accept all lower case. If it's a website, message board, or similar where you have plenty of time, then there will be plenty of people who will not look past a lack of captilization, or grammar, or spelling, etc.

GreenBowtie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 am it's bonkers that this argument is being litigated in regard to the write-up to a frankly very lazy conlang that is basically one or two steps above middle-school level "yo eat-o some food-o at el restaurant-o".
So if this conlang is "lazy" and - I assume - not all that great, then apparently it's not anyone's loss if they don't read it. Which is it?

GreenBowtie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 am who am i turning away by "arrogantly" not capitalizing the paragraph above a pair of cell phone photos of my tv showing paused mission impossible episodes on netflix? literary agents? am i losing my big break to have "yo caufo uni narangi por mi madra" published on the mass market? what are you talking about
The "arrogance" isn't in whether you wrote a post in all lower-case or not, it's the reply of "their loss", as though you have some bit of conlang gold that everyone should be just dying to see. Maybe you were just being flippant, but it can come across as arrogant.

Note that Qwynegold actually complemented you on having put in a good amount of work in writing the grammar. Apparently, he thought it might be something that people appreciate, and he was actually trying to help you get more views. It's obviously not that he was turned off by your lack of capitalization; after all he read the grammar! He was pointing out that there will be some who aren't willing get past it and provided a suggestion for you to get more people to read it, regardless of whether they "should" get past the capitalization. If you don't care, that's OK, but there's no need to get pissy and defensive.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

In trying to make sense of Old Greedian tone patterns for the relevant section in the reference grammar, I had to review each of the dictionary's 589 entries and took the opportunity to update the "legacy" formatting (from a time when I was sure I'd eventually come up with a better lexicon format than SIL's). But now I have a solid transformation scheme to get the surface form of prosodic/phonological words. Still don't know what to do about the contour tones on final syllables (especially checked ones) when they're not followed by a toneless clitic.
Yaa unák thual na !
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I got my CT grammar up to nearly forty pages.

EDIT: It has surpassed forty pages.
Last edited by Man in Space on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryphonic

Post by Gryphonic »

Very small things, but I dug up a short reference grammar for a language I started and shelved two years ago. I had some fragments preserved in the story outline, but now I have some record of what I wanted to do with it. Therefore it is time to stay up far too late on a work night reorganizing and expanding my notes so I can turn it into more than a naming language. I also went through several old notebooks until I found the abugida that it uses.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Vardelm wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:35 pm Note that Qwynegold actually complemented you on having put in a good amount of work in writing the grammar. Apparently, he thought it might be something that people appreciate, and he was actually trying to help you get more views. It's obviously not that he was turned off by your lack of capitalization; after all he read the grammar!
Maybe he was more mad at Rounin Ryuuji than me, IDK.

Anyway, please don't be offended. We're just trying to give you constructive criticism.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:52 am who am i turning away by "arrogantly" not capitalizing the paragraph above a pair of cell phone photos of my tv showing paused mission impossible episodes on netflix? literary agents? am i losing my big break to have "yo caufo uni narangi por mi madra" published on the mass market? what are you talking about
The "arrogance" isn't in whether you wrote a post in all lower-case or not, it's the reply of "their loss", as though you have some bit of conlang gold that everyone should be just dying to see. Maybe you were just being flippant, but it can come across as arrogant.
And this was exactly what I meant. That was an apparently very dismissive and flippant reaction to what was, by all appearances, a well-meant comment from a nice person, and consequently came off as off-puttingly arrogant. My usual reaction to text in all lowercase (if I notice it at all, and this is the most likely case) is to find it quaint or childish rather than particularly bothersome or offensive.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

I posted the fourth scene/installment of my serialized story on Patreon. Not conlanging but I've basically been worldbuilding on the fly as I write it so it's been fun for that. The hardest part has been not talking about it elsewhere.
A cat and a linguist.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

linguistcat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am I posted the fourth scene/installment of my serialized story on Patreon. Not conlanging but I've basically been worldbuilding on the fly as I write it so it's been fun for that. The hardest part has been not talking about it elsewhere.
It's going well, though, I hope?
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:08 pm
linguistcat wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am I posted the fourth scene/installment of my serialized story on Patreon. Not conlanging but I've basically been worldbuilding on the fly as I write it so it's been fun for that. The hardest part has been not talking about it elsewhere.
It's going well, though, I hope?
So far, all well! I will say it's set in a very much fantasy world so that's given me some freedom, but I've been able to build on my original ideas and flesh it out without any contradictions yet. I've also kept myself to an even update schedule, which I normally find difficult.
A cat and a linguist.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Good luck!
Emily

Post by Emily »

i overreacted and i apologize. you were trying to give what you felt was constructive criticism and i responded by getting upset.

i have been online since about 1997 and in the vast majority of circles i have run in throughout that time, including basically all social media today, typing in all (or mostly) lowercase has been a standard practice or at least accepted variant of posting. i was genuinely surprised to see someone bring it up as a criticism because i haven't seen anyone object to it in about twenty years, and i didn't feel like getting into what to me felt like a decades-old argument so i responded with "their loss" as a joke and assumed the conversation would move on. when someone responded to that post by calling it "arrogance", in the moment that seemed to be a deliberate bad-faith interpretation of the post, and that combined with other people chiming in to support the original criticism that i felt was off-base got me heated and i overreacted. i shouldn't have snapped like i did, and i apologize, particularly to qwynegold who as you stated was just trying to help
Emily

Post by Emily »

(also for the record i'm not a "he")
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

GreenBowtie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:13 pmi have been online since about 1997 and in the vast majority of circles i have run in throughout that time, including basically all social media today, typing in all (or mostly) lowercase has been a standard practice or at least accepted variant of posting. i was genuinely surprised to see someone bring it up as a criticism because i haven't seen anyone object to it in about twenty years, and i didn't feel like getting into what to me felt like a decades-old argument so i responded with "their loss" as a joke and assumed the conversation would move on.
For some reason, in language webforums, standard punctuation with with initial capitalization, capitalization of the pronoun "I" and final periods is the norm. You can notice it here, on the CBB, the language-learners.org forum, UniLang, latindiscussion.com, the Textkit forum, etc. And this was the case 20 years ago too (this forum began in 2000). Typing in all-lowercase in these places has traditionally been a way to express sarcastic trolling in these places, hence the unfortunate assumption of bad faith... A few users take it up as their idiosyncratic style though: Nortaneous does it a lot, but not for the pronoun "I", and inconsistently in proper names, and xxx (...who btw... writes in a highly... idiosyncratic way...) uses all lowercase (...and also a lot of... ellipses...).
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

GreenBowtie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:13 pm stuff
Props & respect. Apologies aren't easy.
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)