The New ZBB Quote Thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: The New ZBB Quote Thread

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 pm I just pictured an online lexicon made by an academic in the 90s, and it made my brain hurt. I assume it used frames?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 pm No problem - just write a first draft in Unicode, then convert it to hexadecimal.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:59 pm ("everything" except "herbicide-resistant weeds", of course - in the absence of any coherent economic policy I have to self-fund my Chenopodium berlandieri and Potentilla indica breeding programs by taking a day job)
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:02 amThe profit motive is extremely useful as you say, but only up to a point — once you’ve exhausted all the ways to increase profit by improving your product, the only thing left is to increase profit by worsening your product.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Vardelm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 pm
Travis B. wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 pm Okay, I change my mind again - I am going to keep definiteness, albeit with it being optional.
I'm coining a new term: "whiplang", a conlang that changes back & forth between features extremely often, inducing feelings of whiplash. :P ;)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

People have been arguing about food replicators for many, many pages in the random thread. 😮
Moose-tache wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 pm One thing I know for sure, the human tongue is not equipped to detect the level of saltiness of people in this thread when you suggest that they aren't capable of tasting both the position and velocity of individual electrons.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I hope this is eligible for this thread, because it amuses me considerably:
Talking about Cyrus’ conquest of Egypt in the MECK, zompist wrote:The pharaoh Amasis helped [Cyrus] by dying just before the war.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 pm I hope this is eligible for this thread, because it amuses me considerably:
Talking about Cyrus’ conquest of Egypt in the MECK, zompist wrote:The pharaoh Amasis helped [Cyrus] by dying just before the war.
It sure is amusing, but IMO a quote in a similar vein by a writer unconnected to the ZBB is even better: In his The Norman Conquest, Marc Morris writes about an early-11th century Anglo-Danish war that at one point the English king helped his own side by dying:
The English remained paralyzed by their own rivalries until the following April, at which point Æthelred made an invaluable contribution to the war effort by dropping dead [...]
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Qwynegold wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am People have been arguing about food replicators for many, many pages in the random thread. 😮
Moose-tache wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 pm One thing I know for sure, the human tongue is not equipped to detect the level of saltiness of people in this thread when you suggest that they aren't capable of tasting both the position and velocity of individual electrons.
It's kind of sad that Moose is being celebrated for over-the-top strawmanning. I guess "refuting" made-up shit that no one ever said is a great way to appear clever.
Torco

Post by Torco »

tbh it kind of is, i remember a few quotes from the old forum's quote thread were also of this nature. aiming for internetish pithyness temps towards inaccuracy.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm
Qwynegold wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:00 am People have been arguing about food replicators for many, many pages in the random thread. 😮
It's kind of sad that Moose is being celebrated for over-the-top strawmanning. I guess "refuting" made-up shit that no one ever said is a great way to appear clever.
I doubt anyone here interprets that quote literally. It’s obviously humorous through sarcasm.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

The saltiness is spreading to additional threads! Insisting that replicators can't fool your primitive mouth organs is just homeopathy, but for soup.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:15 pm The saltiness is spreading to additional threads! Insisting that replicators can't fool your primitive mouth organs is just homeopathy, but for soup.
The outright lying is spreading to additional threads! You're both being an asshole and failing reading comprehension. Your teachers must be proud.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I feel like I've missed some huge blow-up somewhere, and am now very confused.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I can't believe Moose-tache's comments are actually being taken seriously.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:02 pm I can't believe Moose-tache's comments are actually being taken seriously.
Maybe I don't find it as hilarious as you do to be called a crank because her made-up version of me has the wrong opinion about an impossible science-fiction device.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:02 pm I can't believe Moose-tache's comments are actually being taken seriously.
Maybe I don't find it as hilarious as you do to be called a crank because her made-up version of me has the wrong opinion about an impossible science-fiction device.
I actually tend to agree with Travis here. Moose-tache’s comments were obviously hyperbolic, sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously. She never used the word ‘crank’, and I don’t recall her referencing you by name at any point.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:49 pm
zompist wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:35 pm
I actually tend to agree with Travis here. Moose-tache’s comments were obviously hyperbolic, sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously. She never used the word ‘crank’, and I don’t recall her referencing you by name at any point.
Oh come on. Who is she supposed to be referring to? Homeopathy is crankery.

I don't get the "not meant to be taken seriously" bit. Playing for laughs from the crowd by making fun of someone is some kind of comedy, I guess. It's a bully's form of comedy.
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

zompist wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm It's kind of sad that Moose is being celebrated for over-the-top strawmanning. I guess "refuting" made-up shit that no one ever said is a great way to appear clever.
I'm sorry I put that quote here. I'm not taking anyone's side; I don't understand much of the replicator discussion and haven't followed it closely. I hadn't noticed Moose-tache participating much in that thread, so I thought it was just a random joke from someone uninvolved. Anyway, can we not refrain from having a debate in the quote thread please?[/directed at everyone]
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:19 am
jal wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:13 am OMG! I just learned that "usurp" doesn't start with "us" :o
Usurpation starts with you!