The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Rounin Ryuuji

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Oh, I've noticed that Donna Burke (an Australian) in interviews tends to say "accent" as [ɛk.sʌ̃(n)t̚], which sounds much nicer than when I say it, so I tend to associate [æ] > [ɛ] with Australia and New Zealand.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

My /æ ɛ eɪ/ are typically compressed into a very small vowel space, being [ɛ] natively (although I picked up [i̯ɛ] from my ex), [ɜ̟] (though /ɛl/ is more centralized as [ɜɤ̯]) and [e̞] respectively. I would not be surprised if the dialect here in the future actually collapsed the distinction at least two of these three vowel phonemes in the future.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 pm Oh, I've noticed that Donna Burke (an Australian) in interviews tends to say "accent" as [ɛk.sʌ̃(n)t̚], which sounds much nicer than when I say it, so I tend to associate [æ] > [ɛ] with Australia and New Zealand.
Is that really with a back vowel?

(I ask because my dialect has true [ʌ] and it sounds nothing like [ɐ], which is commonly what people mean when they write "[ʌ]".)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 pm Is that really with a back vowel?

(I ask because my dialect has true [ʌ] and it sounds nothing like [ɐ], which is commonly what people mean when they write "[ʌ]".)
I have trouble perceiving the difference between [ʌ] and [ə] (even with an audio sample, it's hard to hear the difference; for me, at least), so it's possible it was just a schwa that sounded a bit more emphasised than I would normally make it, but it certainly wasn't [ɐ] (I think that's mostly a UK thing); I can tell the difference between [ʌ] (which I have, if the Wikipedia audio samples are correct) and [ɐ] (which, if I were to approximate it in my English, would end up with the "cot-caught-father-bother" vowel, not the "cut"-vowel, which I don't perceive as [a]-like, but rather as [ə ɜ ø]-like). It was either back or very central, and not low-open-mid, though. I think I might maybe have an odd way of perceiving and mentally classifying vowels, now that I articulate all that.
jal

Post by jal »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:59 pmI often confuse /æ ɛ/ when I hear other people speak
I know how that feels. As a non-native speaker of a language that doesn't have /æ/ (Dutch), /æ/ maps to /ɛ/. Difficult to hear the difference, and difficult to keep it in mind while pronouncing. So often I start to write "exce..." when I have to correct myself to "accept". In fact, a well-know Dutch internet provider calls itself "XS4ALL", which is meant to be "access for all" (but now reads "excess for all")...

JAL
Sol717

Post by Sol717 »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:42 pm Oh, I've noticed that Donna Burke (an Australian) in interviews tends to say "accent" as [ɛk.sʌ̃(n)t̚], which sounds much nicer than when I say it, so I tend to associate [æ] > [ɛ] with Australia and New Zealand.
NZE raises TRAP (typical realisation: [ɛ]), but it also raises DRESS (typical realisation: [e]), so the two remain reasonably distinct within a single idiolect. If you've got multiple speakers, things get more difficult; the amount of raising that TRAP and DRESS undergo varies quite a bit sociolectally, so one person's TRAP can sound like another's DRESS and vice versa. AusE is a whole 'nother can of worms; I don't feel qualified enough to really go into it.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

jal wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am
Travis B. wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:59 pmI often confuse /æ ɛ/ when I hear other people speak
I know how that feels. As a non-native speaker of a language that doesn't have /æ/ (Dutch), /æ/ maps to /ɛ/. Difficult to hear the difference, and difficult to keep it in mind while pronouncing. So often I start to write "exce..." when I have to correct myself to "accept". In fact, a well-know Dutch internet provider calls itself "XS4ALL", which is meant to be "access for all" (but now reads "excess for all")...
I am the opposite way around; other people's /ɛ/ often maps to my /æ/ but I practically never hear other people's /æ/ as my /ɛ/, because I hear anything from [æ] to [iɛ] as /æ/ but /ɛ/ to me is always an at least lightly centralized open-mid vowel (and the centralization is the key difference between my own /æ/ and /ɛ/ most of the time).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have just heard [tɕʰəːˈʁˤɛ̃tʃəːɰəː] unelicited in the wild (from my daughter, she wants one as a pet) complete with initial alveolopalatal affricate.
jal

Post by jal »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 pmI have just heard [tɕʰəːˈʁˤɛ̃tʃəːɰəː] unelicited in the wild (from my daughter, she wants one as a pet) complete with initial alveolopalatal affricate.
I haven't got a clue what that is supposed to be... :D

JAL
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

jal wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 am
Travis B. wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 pmI have just heard [tɕʰəːˈʁˤɛ̃tʃəːɰəː] unelicited in the wild (from my daughter, she wants one as a pet) complete with initial alveolopalatal affricate.
Tarantula, I’m guessing.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:52 am
jal wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 am
Tarantula, I’m guessing.
Yep.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It took me a moment to figure it out, too.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

It is one of the odder pronunciations in my dialect. (Of course in more formal speech one typically does not affricate the initial /t/, even though it tends to be at least a bit palatalized.)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Is your [ʁ] a fricative or an approximant?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 am Is your [ʁ] a fricative or an approximant?
It is a pharyngealized uvular approximant, aka a "bunched r".
Space60

Post by Space60 »

How do you pronounce "idea"? I am American and I pronounce it with two syllables. The last syllable sounds like a nonrhotic pronunciation of the word "dear".
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Space60 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:58 pm How do you pronounce "idea"? I am American and I pronounce it with two syllables. The last syllable sounds like a nonrhotic pronunciation of the word "dear".
three syllables for me but two is well enough attested that Shavian has a single letter for /iːə/
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Space60 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:58 pm How do you pronounce "idea"? I am American and I pronounce it with two syllables. The last syllable sounds like a nonrhotic pronunciation of the word "dear".
[ɑ͡iˈdi.ɐ] — the last two syllables are homophonous with dear [ˈdi.ɐ]
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

[ɑe̯ˈdɪː] before a consonant
[ɑe̯ˈdɪːɹ] before a vowel
[ɑe̯ˈdɪɐ̯] pre-pausa
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Trisyllabic, as [aːe̯.ˈdiː.ə(ː)]