Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
doctor shark

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by doctor shark »

Went to the dentist for the first time in ages on Saturday, and he said I didn't have any cavities (even per the X-ray), but just quite serious wear that's very manageable (and some need for cleaning). Very pleasantly surprised with this outcome.

Also, I have a trip to Luxembourg approaching on Friday, which I'm getting very excited for already.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:38 am Went to the dentist for the first time in ages on Saturday, and he said I didn't have any cavities (even per the X-ray), but just quite serious wear that's very manageable (and some need for cleaning). Very pleasantly surprised with this outcome.
This reminds me, there have been some times in my life when I was actually pleasantly surprised by how unexpectedly non-unpleasant some of my root canal treatments were.
alice

Post by alice »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:23 pm
doctor shark wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:38 am Went to the dentist for the first time in ages on Saturday, and he said I didn't have any cavities (even per the X-ray), but just quite serious wear that's very manageable (and some need for cleaning). Very pleasantly surprised with this outcome.
This reminds me, there have been some times in my life when I was actually pleasantly surprised by how unexpectedly non-unpleasant some of my root canal treatments were.
When I had root canal treatment some years ago, I was as high in the dentist's chair as I think I've ever been.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

alice wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:19 pm
Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:23 pm
When I had root canal treatment some years ago, I was as high in the dentist's chair as I think I've ever been.
I had a root canal a few weeks ago and they shot me up with anesthetic eight times, and it still didn’t fully take. (It’s a trait from my dad’s side of the family that our back teeth have extra nerves in them.)
alice

Post by alice »

It wasn't the anaesthetic, funnily enough, just the very strange feeling of sitting there with my mouth wide open for half an hour and someone poking around inside it.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

We finally have our first union contract. It will come into effect on September 1st. Looks like I should get a 6.25% raise, which is nice.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Let unions fill the world!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:10 pm We finally have our first union contract. It will come into effect on September 1st. Looks like I should get a 6.25% raise, which is nice.
Congrats!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have DHCP implemented and (largely ─ for inexplicable reasons it sometimes takes a while for the DHCP server to respond) working under zeptoIP! Previously I was just hand-setting IP addresses, but I need DHCP for setting IP addresses with the WiFi network of this set of cottages in the northwoods of Wisconsin I am staying at, where each of the cottages share the same network, making it much harder to avoid IP address collisions (and I suspect the WiFi router did not like my trying to use IP addresses without establishing proper leases for them).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:10 pm We finally have our first union contract. It will come into effect on September 1st. Looks like I should get a 6.25% raise, which is nice.
Congratulations!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:15 am
Congratulations!
Von mir auch!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Yay for raises! Incidentally, it took a very long time to get the last CLA sorted out with my work, but they negotiated a 9% increase effective next month (but retroactive to this month, so September's paycheck will be quite plump).

Happy: Car for trip successfully picked up, so I drive to the Grandest of Duchies for a friend's wedding tomorrow. (The person at the car rental pick-up, though, didn't immediately recognize that my Luxembourgish driver's license was, in fact, a driver's license...)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

doctor shark wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:13 am Happy: Car for trip successfully picked up, so I drive to the Grandest of Duchies for a friend's wedding tomorrow. (The person at the car rental pick-up, though, didn't immediately recognize that my Luxembourgish driver's license was, in fact, a driver's license...)
Reminds me of that infamous Irish–Polish repeat offender, ‘Prawo Jazdy’…
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I finally can call zeptoIP alpha ─ previously it was not even that ─ and have made it available for others to try out, if they feel sufficiently adventurous. While I was on vacation I threw together a guide to installing and using it, which is at https://github.com/tabemann/zeptoforth/ ... ZEPTOIP.md. Also, while I was in a cottage Up North I had the opportunity to implement support for DHCP, despite persistent severe problems with using their WiFi with my Raspberry Pi Pico W. (I for a while thought that the problems I was having with their WiFi was due to using a fixed hard-coded IP address, so I implemented DHCP in an effort to fix that, but found that implementing DHCP, even though I implemented it successfully, did not solve my networking issues.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:57 pm I finally can call zeptoIP alpha ─ previously it was not even that ─ and have made it available for others to try out, if they feel sufficiently adventurous. While I was on vacation I threw together a guide to installing and using it, which is at https://github.com/tabemann/zeptoforth/ ... ZEPTOIP.md. Also, while I was in a cottage Up North I had the opportunity to implement support for DHCP, despite persistent severe problems with using their WiFi with my Raspberry Pi Pico W. (I for a while thought that the problems I was having with their WiFi was due to using a fixed hard-coded IP address, so I implemented DHCP in an effort to fix that, but found that implementing DHCP, even though I implemented it successfully, did not solve my networking issues.)
Amazing progress!

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

By my standards, I had a fairly productive day today. I especially like the part where I got out of bed fairly early and went right to doing useful stuff.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Twofer! And sort of related.

1. I managed to bag some very rare musical releases, four in the past month. Three came from Discogs, the fourth from—of all places—the Wayback Machine.

2. I fired up mine old MacBook and, to my great delight, found a ton of music I thought I’d lost forever. I also discovered my old cache of linguistics papers (lots of historical phonology! I can finally get back to work on the ID!) and have been working on porting them over to a recoverable location.

The old computer is well past its prime but I’ve managed to get most of what I needed carried over somewhere where it’ll be backed up.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I managed to fix an extremely subtle and troublesome bug in zeptoforth on the RP2040 last night that had manifested itself in a completely non-obvious fashion. It involved division/modulus operations using the RP2040's division/modulus hardware, where if two tasks or interrupt handlers tried to use it at the same exact moment the result would be corrupted. This seems like it would just break things across the board, but it did not, hence why I did not capture it until just now. I only ran into it because data on streams was being corrupted when I sent data from one task to another in two pairs of tasks simultaneously, because the wraparound in the streams involved an modulus function. What made this more subtle was that if I just used two tasks sharing one stream it would not have the problem, because due to the way streams work neither task would actually be calculating moduli at the same exact moment.
alice

Post by alice »

I've successfully ported my SCA library to Python.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:24 pm I've successfully ported my SCA library to Python.
What was it in before?