What have you accomplished today?

Conworlds and conlangs
bradrn

Re: What have you accomplished today?

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:27 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:03 am
Ares Land wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:37 am

Yes, I suppose it must be something to do with how my mind works :) Even with an isolating proto-language, the parts of the grammar I end up using a lot are the tables.
Really? What tables are there to make for an isolating language?
They're more like 'lists in tabular format' I suppose! Pronouns, various anaphora, sentence slots and particles that can appear in them, measure words, etc.
Hmm, true… though personally, I find these things can have enough subtleties that I prefer putting them in lists with a short description for each.
Vardelm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:45 am
bradrn wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:03 am Really? What tables are there to make for an isolating language?
Combinations of words/particles where the meaning changes depending on what & how they are combined, perhaps? Maybe different words/particles that mean roughly the same thing, but are used in different contexts? Tibetan, for instance, combines tense & evidentials, which makes a table useful.
Ah, of course, fused categories are always best in tabular format.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Not strictly conlang-related, but I applied for my first job in law!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Pedant wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:27 pm Not strictly conlang-related, but I applied for my first job in law!
Nice! Good luck!
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Fancy.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Good luck!
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Pedant wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:27 pmNot strictly conlang-related, but I applied for my first job in law!
Congratulations!

What I did today: Wrote some explanation of Tim Ar culture and CT; added a little new vocabulary, grammar, and syntax; and translated the extant bladeship names I had into CT.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Aw, thanks guys!
My name means either "person who trumpets minor points of learning" or "maker of words." That fact that it means the latter in Sindarin is a demonstration of the former. Beware.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Vardelm

Post by Vardelm »

Pedant wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 pmAw, thanks guys!
OK, yeah, but what have you done TODAY?????

:lol:
Vardelm's Scratchpad Table of Contents (Dwarven, Devani, Jin, & Yokai)
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Vardelm wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm
Pedant wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 pmAw, thanks guys!
OK, yeah, but what have you done TODAY?????

:lol:
:D

Today? Another 21 words of Irthironian, a long talk with a dietician, and...eh, I’ll get back to you on that.
Spell Merchant | Patreon
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Started writing a reference grammar of CT today. It's deliberately a bit of an old-style throwback in format but it should hopefully be useful enough to me to refer to instead of all the various forum posts that exist out there. (The lexicon, however, will remain a GDoc, at least for now.)
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

I've had at least a slight amount of literary output over the past few days, which does feel rather like an accomplishment. It is also language-adjacent, as the setting is the one using the language I'm currently building. It's a rather ethereal (with very dreamish sequences, though "trippy" is certainly not a word I would use to describe it) sort of fantasy so far.
Vilike

Post by Vilike »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 pm Started writing a reference grammar of CT today. It's deliberately a bit of an old-style throwback in format but it should hopefully be useful enough to me to refer to instead of all the various forum posts that exist out there. (The lexicon, however, will remain a GDoc, at least for now.)
I'm currently doing the same with Old Greedian! No version of the language had ever me documenting all of its features in one place: it was all paper drafts, sketches for translation relays, forum and blog posts, (foot)notes on translated texts, etc. Now I hope I'll get a holistic picture (and get a nice LaTeX template for future grammars).
Yaa unák thual na !
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

I downloaded the World something-or-other of grammaticalization a while ago, and the past few days I have been scouring it for words and ideas I could steal for my IAL. People have been praising this publication so much, but I was a little disappointed. I thought it would contain a lot more than it does.

Today I also created words for numbers 3-5.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Another 33 words of Irthironian! Plus I can now say "sorry" and ask the wh-questions! (Sort of…)
Spell Merchant | Patreon
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Qwynegold wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:32 pm I downloaded the World something-or-other of grammaticalization a while ago, and the past few days I have been scouring it for words and ideas I could steal for my IAL. People have been praising this publication so much, but I was a little disappointed. I thought it would contain a lot more than it does.
The World Lexicon of Grammaticalisation? I quite like that, as it happens. The trick is to realise that hidden away in Appendix 2 is a ‘Target–Source List’ which gives a list of sources for each category. (e.g. it says PAST can come from GET, PASS, PERFECT, YESTERDAY.) Of course, the book’s not perfect, and misses out a lot of stuff — notably, I couldn’t find irrealis in it — but it’s good enough.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

bradrn wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:18 pm The World Lexicon of Grammaticalisation? I quite like that, as it happens. The trick is to realise that hidden away in Appendix 2 is a ‘Target–Source List’ which gives a list of sources for each category. (e.g. it says PAST can come from GET, PASS, PERFECT, YESTERDAY.) Of course, the book’s not perfect, and misses out a lot of stuff — notably, I couldn’t find irrealis in it — but it’s good enough.
Yeah, that one. I know about appendix 2, I had just expected there to be more examples for each type of grammaticalization. Apparently they do know of many examples, but had decided to limit them. And then there's the grammaticalizations they didn't have, as you said. I think this is the old print though. The newer one is supposed to be almost twice as thick.
Emily

Post by Emily »

updated some stuff in ruritanian today and redid the anthrologi.ca pages for it, including uploading a dictionary! next up is uploading the dictionary (-ies?) of names and the geographical dictionary, as well as finally getting around to writing up the syntax rules

http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Oh, that looks really well developed! :o I would just advise to use proper capitalization at the front page, because people might refrain from clicking any of the links, assuming the rest of the text is poorly written.
Emily

Post by Emily »

Qwynegold wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:17 am
GreenBowtie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am http://anthologi.ca/?id=264164
Oh, that looks really well developed! :o I would just advise to use proper capitalization at the front page, because people might refrain from clicking any of the links, assuming the rest of the text is poorly written.
their loss!
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

Hmm, are you sure you should be thinking that way? You've done so much effort developing the conlang and typing a well written grammar. It would be a shame if you missed views because the entry page doesn't do it justice.