The New ZBB Quote Thread

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: The New ZBB Quote Thread

Post by bradrn »

Moose-tache wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:50 pm I'm kind of glad I'm on the "ignore list." It's probably the only time my name will appear on a roster of professional linguists.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

This is a few months old, but just now caught my eye; I quote it here mainly for the last line:
Ares Land wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm One explanation I read that really makes sense to me is Philip K. Dick's. Christianity is like a mutation, or gene therapy if you like, and communion spreads the virus/genes/whatever.

'Body' and 'blood' would be really sort of DNA code.

(I'm, um, not sure the Church accepts Dick's theology.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:23 am This is a few months old, but just now caught my eye; I quote it here mainly for the last line:
Ares Land wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm One explanation I read that really makes sense to me is Philip K. Dick's. Christianity is like a mutation, or gene therapy if you like, and communion spreads the virus/genes/whatever.

Question is, what would the point of receiving the body and blood of Christ again and again be then? Also, wouldn't they want to give young children receive communion as early as possible, rather than dealing with Sunday school and whatnot?
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:42 pm
Raphael wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:23 am This is a few months old, but just now caught my eye; I quote it here mainly for the last line:

Question is, what would the point of receiving the body and blood of Christ again and again be then? Also, wouldn't they want to give young children receive communion as early as possible, rather than dealing with Sunday school and whatnot?
That's Philip K Dick for you -- the ideas are cool but don't really bear much rational scrutiny.

For a very dark take on the same idea, I recommend the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 am A glottal stop is choking in phoneme form.

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:43 pm This reminds me that I used to find the word library without it's first-r amusing, as it makes me think of dishonest fruits (a lie berry).
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Moose-tache wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 amThis is supported by the fact that, for all its complexity, Irish mutation has fewer types of mutation and fewer exceptions and caveats than Welsh mutation, which is (like all things in Welsh) essentially a man trap for anyone trying to learn it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:15 am To anyone suggesting an IE language can't become tonal and monosyllabic, you should hear my father-in-law and his cousin when they're out fishing.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Moose-tache wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:57 am
EDIT: a full third of making this blog consists of scrolling through Amazon new releases trying to find something that's not "Book 37 in the Erotic Vegetable Insertion Series." Just wanted you to know how much I suffer for my art.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Zju wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:47 pm
keenir wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:28 pm if I lost my car keys yesterday, and today I find them next to my cereal bowls...do I need to then go across the street to search for my car keys?
IMHO, those are wandercarkeys, obviously derived from your neighbour's. If your car keys are next to your cereal bowls, you obviously couldn't have lost them, so IMHO you must've borrowed them. :)
alice

Post by alice »

Raholeun wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:09 am A simpler explanation is that the original Indo-European homeland was in South-East Asia, from where the swine-drawn chariots gallopped towards the steppes, wiping out all heteroorganic clusters in their paths.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raholeun wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:07 pm You did not say anything of the sort, I was arrogantly assuming it to be the case :D

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

(In response to thread ‘New conlang, please help me give it a name’)
alice wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:32 amMallory?
Moose-tache wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:47 am
WarpedWartWars wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:25 pm The only example text is my signature. However, I will include it here, for reference:
Hlithr ta Erloth ta Hlerrts ta Moew ta Olarrk ta Sithe.
death of abyss of kingdom of Moew of sand of witch-PLURAL.
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death.
1) Hlither and Thither
2) Ta Ta For Now
3) Revenge of the Sithe
4) Dave the Language

Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

alice wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:41 am Kassite is an ore of the rare elements which phonemes are made of.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:00 pm Once he gets to the major civilizations, he sounds like Marvin the Android. "The Babylonians were the worst. Now the Romans, they were also the worst. The Americans, however, are the worst."

Zju

Post by Zju »

bradrn wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 am [ I]t may be possible to measure [linguistic crackpottery] quantitatively by noting that Nylands are concordant with lexeme–kilometers. [...] [ I]t thus follows that 1 nl = [...] 4,000,000 lx km. Of course, this must mean that 1 mnl = 4000 lx km. [...]
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 pm I think uplifting animals is totally possible. You just tell them “Good boy/girl”, scratch their ears, and give them a biscuit. At least, it works with my dog…
fusijui wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 am What going on forty years of being a card-carrying sodomite has led me to probably tilts more to the "love the sin, hate the sinner" side of things, I guess.

Ahzoh

Post by Ahzoh »

bradrn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 pm
Rounin Ryuuji wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 am A glottal stop is choking in phoneme form.
No no no, that's the epiglottal stop.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I know that this thread is generally about jokes and humorous and whimsical stuff, so the following quote might seem too dry to be worthy of inclusion here, but I think it just makes a very important point:
hwhatting wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:30 am Every system deteriorates over time and needs constant work and reforms. Every system anyone will ever come up with will have the same problem - people learn to game it for their own advantage to the detriment of others; many people will try to amass advantages and power; positions will become entrenched; and lastly, people will get used to the good sides of the system, forget about the bad sides of what it replaced, and detect new things that suck and need to be changed.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

It is a good and relevant thing to consider.