The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:55 am I implemented what I thought were continuations for zeptoscript..
Is this not a matter for the Computing thread?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:30 am
Travis B. wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:55 am I implemented what I thought were continuations for zeptoscript..
Is this not a matter for the Computing thread?
It would be if it were not for the fact that I am bummed I can't have real continuations...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

bradrn wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:29 am I submitted a poster to ICON2024 (advertised earlier on this board), and my submission got accepted! Yet, I’m having second thoughts on whether to confirm my attendance or not. I’ve now been living in Paris for a month, and I‘m still struggling to get used to it; I’m not sure whether further travel to Orléans is something I’d be able to cope with or not. If I don’t go, then I’d miss out on an opportunity to discuss conlanging in person, which is something I never get… but then again, this forum gives me as many discussion opportunities as I could hope for, so I wouldn’t be missing out on too much.

Oh, and I have one more day to decide. So, yeah, I’m quite conflicted on what to do here.
For ‘one day’, now read ‘one-and-a-half hours’. My chronic indecision has caught up with me yet again… except insofar as I’m still leaning towards ‘no’. (And if I don’t confirm my attendance today, it will be a no. If only they hadn’t asked us to confirm so far in advance! Ah well, either way this forum gives me enough opportunities to discuss conlanging, conference or no conference.)

Zju

Post by Zju »

Whaat, why miss out on that opportunity? Is there some draconian punishment if you don't show up after having confirmed?
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Zju wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:43 pm Whaat, why miss out on that opportunity?
Because I’m barely coping as-is, and I’m worried I won’t cope if I do anything more stressful on top of this.
Is there some draconian punishment if you don't show up after having confirmed?
Er… I doubt it! But surely the whole point of confirming your attendence is that you’re promising you’ll definitely show up?

Corumayas

Post by Corumayas »

Can you send the organizers a message explaining your situation? Orléans is quite close to Paris; if you're actually interested in the conference it seems a bit strange not to at least try to go...

(Of course I can also understand not wanting to commit to something extra if you're already feeling overwhelmed.)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Corumayas wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:07 pm Can you send the organizers a message explaining your situation? Orléans is quite close to Paris; if you're actually interested in the conference it seems a bit strange not to at least try to go...
Hmm, fair point. Maybe I will.
(Of course I can also understand not wanting to commit to something extra if you're already feeling overwhelmed.)
Yes, this is exactly it.