My conlang pages
Ares Land

Re: Venting thread

Post by Ares Land »

Thirded!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 pm I was on vacation this week, to visit the Norman Music Festival (which runs from Thursday to Saturday).

- Arrive on Tuesday.
- Catch sick Wednesday night/Thursday morning.
- Recover sufficiently by Saturday to do things.
- This being Oklahoma, tornadoes and severe thunderstorms occur on Saturday, so it’s cancelled.
- Best friend and I try to go to a museum to salvage things but they closed shortly before we got there.
- Get the wrong checkout time for the hotel.
- TSA guy tells me I can leave my watch on because it won’t trip a false positive on the scanner, which proves to be false.
- The undergarments I have to wear because of my Crohn’s also set off the alarm so I get to be violated by a very slow-moving TSA agent. (I’m just going to opt for the patdown from now on…if I’m going to set it off anyway I might as well just get it over with.)
- Flight is delayed FOUR TIMES, meaning I cannot make the connection, and they have no other flights to Cleveland today. I have to wait until 5:15 AM now.

I can never take vacations because of my health issues and the one time I manage to swing it, shit like this happens. My life is a joke. I exist to suffer. I work, I experience health crises, and I’m going to die. Might as well get used to it.
So sorry.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Sorry to hear -- all that really sucks.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
malloc

Post by malloc »

While running to clock out at work on time, I slipped and scraped my left arm, leaving some horrible wounds that will become grotesque scars. Hopefully I got them cleaned in time to avoid infection, but they will leave some massive and conspicuous scars, a centimeter wide and several centimeters long each.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This is a stupid, little thing to vent about, but there's an annoying bug in my call/cc (i.e. the infamous Scheme call-with-current-continuation) implementation in zeptoscript. It works... except it doesn't on occasions, where for some unclear reason it saves the raw value of the execution token (think function address) for the word being called in the continuation itself, resulting in garbage being put on the stack when the continuation is applied. There is no clear reason why this is happening, or why it only happens so often, or why it only happens when the core of zeptoscript is compiled to flash (it works when the core of zeptoscript is compiled to RAM). Of course, what happens after this is that said raw value, without being packaged in a proper zeptoscript value, ends up being returned by call/cc on the stack, and the next thing that attempts to access said value chokes because it is not a proper "small int" value nor is it necessarily aligned nor, even if it is aligned, is it a valid zeptoscript data structure.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Not only was my vacation a bust, I come back to ridiculous BS at work that, had I or my manager been in the office, wouldn’t have been an issue, but now it’s my problem and a black mark against me.

It is taking a stupendous amount of self-control not to just quit right now, money and job search be damned. This…I can’t. I just can’t.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I feel sorry to hear that.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Vent: I'm supposed to begin a new job in Luxembourg on 1 July. To do so, I need a document called an autorisation de séjour temporaire issued by Luxembourg, and this is needed to be able to obtain the final residence permit after arrival. Because I'm not (yet) an EU citizen, I have to have this authorization in my warm hands before I can enter Luxembourg and start the residence permit procedure, or otherwise the residence permit application would be inadmissible. I've done the process before, so I've collected all the documents from my side...

...the problem is that I need two documents from my new employer. They haven't even started preparing them. They already knew I got the Marie Curie grant back in February and perhaps could have at least gotten some of the things rolling. This is really stressful, not least of all because I need to give sufficient notice to terminate all of my contracts here in Tulipland (one complete calendar month) and to finalize the move! (I'm also unemployed until I can start in Luxembourg, but my bank balance is plump enough where this isn't a huge issue... if I can start when I'm supposed to!) We're trying to apply pressure on the University (of Luxembourg) HR to speed the process up so I can start on time, but it's French-style bureaucracy, which means they operate at their own pace.

Here I was hoping unemployment would be a bit more vacation-like. Guess not!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Zju

Post by Zju »

doctor shark wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:33 am Here I was hoping unemployment would be a bit more vacation-like. Guess not!
Welcome to the club 🤗
/j/ <j>

Ɂaləɂahina asəkipaɂə ileku omkiroro salka.
Loɂ ɂerleku asəɂulŋusikraɂə seləɂahina əɂətlahɂun əiŋɂiɂŋa.
Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ. Hərlaɂ.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Work is rolling out something so inane even the managers are complaining about it. That seals it—time to seek employment elsewhere.

Now I get to be ghosted or rejected another 300 times.
malloc

Post by malloc »

So last week I tripped while running and scraped my shoulder on pavement. Now an enormous scar is forming on my shoulder, the size of a playing card and stiff enough to make moving my left arm uncomfortable.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

malloc wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:52 pm So last week I tripped while running and scraped my shoulder on pavement. Now an enormous scar is forming on my shoulder, the size of a playing card and stiff enough to make moving my left arm uncomfortable.
I hope you get better soon.

---

I'm so sleepy.
keenir

Post by keenir »

sounds like sleep is a good idea. enjoy. :)
malloc wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:52 pm So last week I tripped while running and scraped my shoulder on pavement. Now an enormous scar is forming on my shoulder, the size of a playing card and stiff enough to make moving my left arm uncomfortable.
my commisserations and sympathies; that sounds more painful than when I fell off my bike into gravel, needed stitches - I hope you heal as fully as I did (no scar after a year or so)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Yeah, that must hurt. Hope you get better soon!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Get better soon. My best wishes.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Get better, malloc!
malloc

Post by malloc »

Thanks. I should be fine medically as there are no signs of infection. Vain as it might sound, it's the scar that worries me. The scrape on my shoulder has formed into a lumpy, leathery expansive of discolored flesh like rhinoceros hide crossed with crème brûlée. Does anyone have some practical suggestions for dealing with such a nasty scar?
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
linguistcat

Post by linguistcat »

malloc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:37 pm Thanks. I should be fine medically as there are no signs of infection. Vain as it might sound, it's the scar that worries me. The scrape on my shoulder has formed into a lumpy, leathery expansive of discolored flesh like rhinoceros hide crossed with crème brûlée. Does anyone have some practical suggestions for dealing with such a nasty scar?
Caveat I'm not a medical expert, this is not medical advice, yada yada, but I've heard that gentle massage on an area with scarring can help encourage healthy skin growth and break up some of the fibers in the scar making it less noticeable. I've also always had good results using aloe vera gel once the initial wound heals over to keep it moisturized and keep skin supple. I hope any of that is helpful to you and best wishes with this.
A cat and a linguist.
Kesshin

Post by Kesshin »

malloc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:37 pm Does anyone have some practical suggestions for dealing with such a nasty scar?
I personally use shea butter.