The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Topics that can go away
hwhatting

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by hwhatting »

As they say, the past is a different country... and we're not who we used to be.
It was even weirder in the late 70s / early 80s, when when many progressives in Germany actually were of the opinion that sex with children was something good (supposedly it was one of the many forms of sexuality suppressed by bourgeois morals that needed to be liberated). So while conservatives condemned pedophilia but often hushed it up or made light of it when done not by creepy strangers but by authority figures or inside families, many progressives saw it as something that was harmless or even beneficial for children. So it's no wonder that your generation, a decade later, didn't really know how seriously to take the topic.
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I submitted a research paper. I'm exhausted.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

rotting bones wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:49 pm I submitted a research paper. I'm exhausted.
Congratulations, and get some rest!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

bradrn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:02 pm Congratulations, and get some rest!
Thanks.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

It seems I’ve gotten some sort of respiratory infection. On the one hand, this sort of thing really sucks, especially if you’re immune-suppressed. On the other, the past few years I’ve gotten an infection like this, it was like it sort of pre-immunized me to whatever was going around when I did want to be doing something (end of April is the one vacation I force myself to be able to take each year). I’m hoping this pattern holds.
alice

Post by alice »

Man in Space wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 pm It seems I’ve gotten some sort of respiratory infection. On the one hand, this sort of thing really sucks, especially if you’re immune-suppressed. On the other, the past few years I’ve gotten an infection like this, it was like it sort of pre-immunized me to whatever was going around when I did want to be doing something (end of April is the one vacation I force myself to be able to take each year). I’m hoping this pattern holds.
This is mildly alarming. I caught just such a virus at this time of year eight years ago; it was the trigger for the ME/CFS which had been latent inside of me for so long and which was probably responsible for many similar viruses previously.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

My last working day of my contact where I work now is tomorrow. I do enjoy working there, with mostly fun coworkers and lots of fun (and liquid crystally) Science happening... but, at the same time, I have my next adventure lined up starting from June/July which I'm very excited for.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm My last working day of my contact where I work now is tomorrow. I do enjoy working there, with mostly fun coworkers and lots of fun (and liquid crystally) Science happening... but, at the same time, I have my next adventure lined up starting from June/July which I'm very excited for.
Bittersweet. Good luck going on!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Would you even mention someone you know closely coming out to you, without knowing that anyone else you or they know also know already, and without them giving you permission to tell anyone? (In this case I don't expect anyone to react negatively if they did find out, for a number of reasons, but I feel it is their right to choose to tell anyone themselves and not my right to choose for them.) I don't know if I even should be posting this.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 pm Would you even mention someone you know closely coming out to you, without knowing that anyone else you or they know also know already, and without them giving you permission to tell anyone? (In this case I don't expect anyone to react negatively if they did find out, for a number of reasons, but I feel it is their right to choose to tell anyone themselves and not my right to choose for them.) I don't know if I even should be posting this.
You can ask the person how they feel about it. As a rule, I never mention it myself in that sort of situation. (Possibly my opinions were formed at a time when people were likely to react badly, but still.)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 pm Would you even mention someone you know closely coming out to you, without knowing that anyone else you or they know also know already, and without them giving you permission to tell anyone?
Why do you want to tell other people about it?

If they talked to you privately, I'd assume that's how they want to approach coming out.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Went to the memorial for my stepmother, and it was pretty much what I expected: The twenty-five years she spent with my father were hardly touched on. He (and his children and grandchildren) were mentioned only in passing and only by a couple of folks and there were only a two photos of him included in a five-minute slideshow. They had seven speakers--including a woman who knew her from the retirement home where she'd only lived six months--but no representative from our side. (We weren't asked.)

Nevertheless, it was still cathartic. I had my brother there for support and we squeezed each other's hands when we got too weepy. We had some laughs as well, particularly when our stepbrother talked about our mother's quirk of giving us 3M boxes for Christmas. (I haven't had to actually buy tape of any kind since the 90s; my brother shared that he just bought band-aids for the first time last year.)

It was in a nice venue (the Steppenwolf Theatre, for those who know Chicago) and there was a lovely reception afterwards. Honestly, though, I would have left early if not for the fact that we sat down with one of my stepsister's best friends and she showed genuine interest in catching up and talking about our family. We may even get together and go for a drink sometime.

At least after yesterday I'll never need to talk with my stepsiblings again for any reason. (My brother still has to deal with our stepsister, since she does work for his condo association.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have realized I put a stupid bug in zeptoscript with regard to "type" classes (not to be confused with Haskell's type classes). Specifically, the issue is that I made specifying them initialize them in RAM, but if you tried to initialize them in flash they would disappear after rebooting. So once I get home I will have to revise them to compile init code into flash to initialize them them in RAM on bootup. I am anxious to get a move on fixing it, but I am stuck at work for a couple more hours (which is made worse by the fact that our git server here is down, which puts a crimp in actually getting any real work work done here for the time being).
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

1) I found a place to live in Luxembourg! However, my bank account is quite nicely draining with all the expenses I need to pay in advance... especially since I'm temporarily unemployed and living off savings, but at least I have plenty of them (and I should get my severance payment from the uni this week, but I have no idea how much money to expect).

2) My father and wife #3 are talking about wanting to visit me in Luxembourg this coming winter (though plans aren't yet guaranteed). On one hand, my relationship with both of them isn't particularly rocky, so a visit might be quite nice. On the other hand, the visit could be a potential logistical nightmare, especially since #3 has never been outside the Americas (and barely outside of Texas). Hotels (even the cheap ones) are extremely expensive in Luxembourg (and since where I'll be living involves stairs, that's maybe for the best that they don't stay with me), language could be a problem (especially with the planned detour to/via Paris), and this would also be quite soon after I return from a very likely visit to India! There may also be mobility issues for both of them, so planning for that could be quite "fun"...
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy: Wow, just wow. Sorry that you have to deal with such fucked-up shit.

doctor shark: Good luck, and I hope it all works out!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 am Linguoboy: Wow, just wow. Sorry that you have to deal with such fucked-up shit.

doctor shark: Good luck, and I hope it all works out!
Seconded on both counts.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Okay, I have fixed my "type" classes functionality and it is now working well, such that I can compile src/common/special_oo.fs to flash so I do not need to reload it every time I reboot if I want to use show, hash, or equal?.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Trying to motivate myself to do the things I had planned for today.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I submitted a poster to ICON2024 (advertised earlier on this board), and my submission got accepted! Yet, I’m having second thoughts on whether to confirm my attendance or not. I’ve now been living in Paris for a month, and I‘m still struggling to get used to it; I’m not sure whether further travel to Orléans is something I’d be able to cope with or not. If I don’t go, then I’d miss out on an opportunity to discuss conlanging in person, which is something I never get… but then again, this forum gives me as many discussion opportunities as I could hope for, so I wouldn’t be missing out on too much.

Oh, and I have one more day to decide. So, yeah, I’m quite conflicted on what to do here.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I implemented what I thought were continuations for zeptoscript... but it turns out they are not. Reason being that my "continuations" freeze the state of the stacks* in time, for it to be restored verbatim any number of times, but proper continuations apparently allow the stack(s) to be modified after the stack if mutation is to be allowed at all. And implementing this would just be too hard within the runtime model of zeptoscript; I did add "ref cells" to enable the kind of behavior where the state is modified after the fact in a convenient fashion, but it is up to the user to use these (and for reasons it would be very difficult to use these by default without major performance consequences). Consequently I renamed call/cc to save and "continuations" to "saved states".

Take the following Scheme code:

Code: Select all

(define counter '())

(define (make-counter n)
  (let ((m (call/cc
            (lambda (cont)
              (begin
                (set! counter cont)
                0)))))
    (begin
      (set! n (+ n 1))
      (+ m n))))
When exercised one gets the following:

> (make-counter 0)
> (counter 0)
> (counter 0)
> (counter 0)
The equivalent zeptoscript code is:

global counter

: make-counter ( n -- )
  ref { n }
  [: counter! 0 ;] save { m }
  n ref@ 1+ n ref!
  m n ref@ +
;
When exercised one gets the following:

0 make-counter . 1  ok
0 counter@ execute . 2  ok
0 counter@ execute . 3  ok
0 counter@ execute . 4  ok
As we can see here, make-counter uses a "ref" cell to hold the state so it can change across calls to save. This use of an explicit data structure to hold state is not necessary in the equivalent Scheme code.

* zeptoscript has more than one stack, being a Forthy language.