2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Topics that can go away
Man in Space

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Man in Space »

Totality goes right over my house. I’ll post pictures afterward—stay tuned.
Man in Space

Re: 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Man in Space »

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I'm kind of confused— we supposedly had 95% totality here, so I was expecting to see the sun with a big bite out of it. But I went out at the maximum, and just saw a full circle. I used my iPad for this, and even took a picture; the sun looked quite normal. Probably the Trisolarians are involved.
alice

Post by alice »

We get a double eclipse over here: the moon eclipses the sun, and the clouds eclipse them both.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm We get a double eclipse over here: the moon eclipses the sun, and the clouds eclipse them both.
Do they have a sun where you live?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

My parents’ house is in the zone of totality, so my wife and I drove up to spend a few days with them, and several other friends and relatives gathered there as well. We had a excellent view of the eclipse from their front yard, and it was extremely impressive.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:32 pm Enjoy.
Thanks for the pictures!

I hope I can arrange a trip for the 2026 eclipse in Spain...
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I've been through two total solar eclipses (but naturally only remember one): Hawai'i in 1991 and Southern Germany in 1999. That said, with this one, a professor who came to visit from where I did my Master's mentioned that it was quite chaotic in Kent in terms of people coming in from out of town, hotel prices shooting through the roof, expectations of heavy traffic...
Travis B. wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:49 pm
alice wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm We get a double eclipse over here: the moon eclipses the sun, and the clouds eclipse them both.
On exceptional occasions.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:43 am I've been through two total solar eclipses (but naturally only remember one): Hawai'i in 1991 and Southern Germany in 1999. That said, with this one, a professor who came to visit from where I did my Master's mentioned that it was quite chaotic in Kent in terms of people coming in from out of town, hotel prices shooting through the roof, expectations of heavy traffic...
I was just outside the path of totality back in 1999 and as I recall that day was very cloudy, so there was almost nothing to see.
It was very sunny for the 2021 partial eclipse, and that one was actually pretty interesting.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Ares Land wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:38 am
doctor shark wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:43 am I've been through two total solar eclipses (but naturally only remember one): Hawai'i in 1991 and Southern Germany in 1999. That said, with this one, a professor who came to visit from where I did my Master's mentioned that it was quite chaotic in Kent in terms of people coming in from out of town, hotel prices shooting through the roof, expectations of heavy traffic...
I was just outside the path of totality back in 1999 and as I recall that day was very cloudy, so there was almost nothing to see.
It was very sunny for the 2021 partial eclipse, and that one was actually pretty interesting.
I remember the 1999 eclipse and it was quite clear where I lived. It was the first time I'd seen any kind of eclipse and it was incredibly eerie for a 12 year old to witness.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Even though here in southeastern Wisconsin we did not get totality, the sun was still reduced to a small crescent here, and things visibly dimmed outside. An interesting part was that all the shadows outside got far more crisp than they normally are. And no, I did not stare at the sun with my naked eyes (I prefer my retinas intact) but someone at my work did bring special solar eclipse-viewing glasses and I used those to view the side (in addition to something another coworker made which was a shoebox with two holes in it and one of the holes covered with foil with in a pinhole made in that, so if you looked into the uncovered hole with your back to the sun and without obscuring the other hole you could see the sun).
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:49 pm
Two, in fact; one always capitalised (it thinks it's a newspaper) and one sometimes capitalized (it gives us warmth and other things).
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Jonlang wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:44 am
Ares Land wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:38 am
I remember the 1999 eclipse and it was quite clear where I lived. It was the first time I'd seen any kind of eclipse and it was incredibly eerie for a 12 year old to witness.
It was very clear where I was: we had totality as well. Very eerie for me as a 9-year-old. (But memorable in a good way.)
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

I was six for the 1999 eclipse (by calculation, not memory). I don't remember the eclipse itself, despite probably witnessing it, but I do remember everyone talking about it and the special eclipse glasses.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I travelled to southern Germany for the 1999 eclipse. I stayed with an uncle of mine who lived in the totality strip, but unfortunately the weather did not play ball - it was heavily clouded and raining. Later, I witnessed a partial eclipse where I observed what Travis B. has described. It was bizarre: the daylight dimmed as if the sky was heavily clouded, but the sky was clear and blue.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
xxx

Post by xxx »

in 1999 I was in the process of moving house,
and between two boxes between the house and the car,
everything suddenly turned green...
for a moment I had a glimpse of the end of the world
before looking up and reassuring myself...
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

We drove down to Southernillinois a.k.a. Little Egypt where a couple guys I know were hosting a viewing party. They had a huge backyard located on the top of a hill so we had great views of the "360° sunset". We also had a striking red flare from the bottom of the sun (which y'all probably saw pictures of). The most unexpected effect, however, was the noticeable drop in temperature. It was a warm day (about 25°C) and a cool breeze sprung up when it got dark, making me shiver in my short pants. I'd witnessed two partials before this and I don't remember anything like that before.