Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
bradrn

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by bradrn »

evmdbm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 am I get the general idea that if the agent is higher than the patient in a person-hierarchy so 2nd person is higher than 1st in Algonquian languages you have a direct marker.
On this point, it’s well worth reading Oxford’s Algonquian Grammar Myths (of which this is one).
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
evmdbm

Post by evmdbm »

bradrn wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:18 pm
evmdbm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 am I get the general idea that if the agent is higher than the patient in a person-hierarchy so 2nd person is higher than 1st in Algonquian languages you have a direct marker.
On this point, it’s well worth reading Oxford’s Algonquian Grammar Myths (of which this is one).
More reading :D Thank you everyone.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

A girl at a local coffee shop couldn't understand my pronunciation of "Arnold Palmer" (I was ordering the drink of the same name) with me repeating it more and more carefully until I pronounced it very slowly carefully and added "like the golfer". Seriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am A girl at a local coffee shop couldn't understand my pronunciation of "Arnold Palmer" (I was ordering the drink of the same name) with me repeating it more and more carefully until I pronounced it very slowly carefully and added "like the golfer". Seriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
Well, I suspect I’d hear that first name as something like ‘Arle’, given your pronunciation… though if it’s on a menu, I think I’d figure it out. (Never heard of the drink nor the golfer.)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 amSeriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
Aarghoop Paamrrgh?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Darren wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 amSeriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
Aarghoop Paamrrgh?
The way you spelled that makes me think [ˌɑːʁˤɡuʔpˈpʰãːmʁ̩ˤːk].
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am A girl at a local coffee shop couldn't understand my pronunciation of "Arnold Palmer" (I was ordering the drink of the same name) with me repeating it more and more carefully until I pronounced it very slowly carefully and added "like the golfer". Seriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
Well, I suspect I’d hear that first name as something like ‘Arle’, given your pronunciation… though if it’s on a menu, I think I’d figure it out. (Never heard of the drink nor the golfer.)
I don't think it was on the menu at the drive-through.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Aarghoop Paamrrgh?
Travis has a rhotic dialect where the rhotics are uvular approximants. (Or so he claims, though it’s not implausible.)

Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am Seriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
/pɑmər/? I've only ever heard /pɔlmər/.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

I expect you're joking about being surprised... but I'd guess the problem here is the lack of [n]. She might have accepted "Arno Pama" but "Arro" threw her.

Reminds me of a time when I was buying a bunch of stuff at Menard's and the clerk asked if I wanted to use what sounded like the DeLongo. It took a bit before I realized that it was "the Load 'n Go", a rental truck.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 pm
I expect you're joking about being surprised... but I'd guess the problem here is the lack of [n]. She might have accepted "Arno Pama" but "Arro" threw her.

Reminds me of a time when I was buying a bunch of stuff at Menard's and the clerk asked if I wanted to use what sounded like the DeLongo. It took a bit before I realized that it was "the Load 'n Go", a rental truck.
I am half-joking. Sure, I may have a thick Milwaukee accent, but every other barista I have encountered here has understood this order without my having to very carefully enunciate each phoneme and add "like the golfer" (except for the baristas at Starbucks, probably due to "Arnold Palmer" being a trademark of the Arizona tea company, but I stopped going to Starbucks after learning from my daughter that Starbucks is suing its union).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am Seriously, what part of [ˌɑ̃ːʁ̃ˤɯːp̚ˈpʰɑːmʁ̩ˤ(ː)] is hard to understand?
I pronounce words like calm and palm with [ɑ] rather than with [a] (as my dad does) or with [ɒo̯] (like call and pall). I think I am splitting the difference between the pure non-spelling-pronounced [a] and the spelling-pronounced [ɒo̯] here, and in turn my pronunciation of Palmer is influenced accordingly.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 pm
Aarghoop Paamrrgh?
Travis has a rhotic dialect where the rhotics are uvular approximants. (Or so he claims, though it’s not implausible.)
They vary significantly with position and environment but they are always approximants and are generally (but not always) uvular and generally (but not always) pharyngealized with prominent labialized and postalveolar-coarticulated allophones. Or if that's hard to wrap one's brain around, just think of it as a "bunched r", even though I read that "bunched r"s are really palatal...
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Now this surprises me. I can only recall hearing the former (well, its non-rhotic equivalent).

Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:51 am
Now this surprises me. I can only recall hearing the former (well, its non-rhotic equivalent).
[ɑm] in -alm words has mostly been reverted by spelling pronunciation, but I'm a little surprised it ever existed in "Palmer" - unlike the l-less pronunciation of "salmonella" by analogy to "salmon", the syllable structure is different.
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:40 am
[ɑm] in -alm words has mostly been reverted by spelling pronunciation, but I'm a little surprised it ever existed in "Palmer" - unlike the l-less pronunciation of "salmonella" by analogy to "salmon", the syllable structure is different.
In the dialect here salmonella is [ˌsɛːɤ̯məˈnɜːɰə(ː)] whereas salmon is [ˈsɛ̃ːmɘ̃(ː)(n)].
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:40 am [ɑm] in -alm words has mostly been reverted by spelling pronunciation
Not that I’ve seen.
Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:46 am In the dialect here salmonella is [ˌsɛːɤ̯məˈnɜːɰə(ː)] whereas salmon is [ˈsɛ̃ːmɘ̃(ː)(n)].
…with this being a notable exception.

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:04 pm
Nortaneous wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:40 am [ɑm] in -alm words has mostly been reverted by spelling pronunciation
Not that I’ve seen.
Travis B. wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:46 am In the dialect here salmonella is [ˌsɛːɤ̯məˈnɜːɰə(ː)] whereas salmon is [ˈsɛ̃ːmɘ̃(ː)(n)].
…with this being a notable exception.
Re-adding /l/ to PALM words which are spelled with <l> is common in NAE, but salmon I have never heard anyone pronounce with an /l/.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:40 am
Palmer is related to palm, so it's hardly surprising. Anyway, it is nearly always /ˈpɑːmə(r)/ in the UK; there are some traditional dialects (SW England, IIRC) which retain /l/ in these words (and I wonder whether that is the ultimate source of the lambdic pronunciation in the US, though I accept that its recent spread is helped by the spelling) but that is definitely recessive.
Otto Kretschmer

Post by Otto Kretschmer »

How did the Chancery Standard (the basis for modern Standard English) come into being? Was it based on some specific dialect, spoken in a specific region?