War in the Middle East, again

Topics that can go away
bradrn

Re: War in the Middle East, again

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:11 pm
bradrn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 pmPerhaps it’s selfish, but the viewpoint from which I tend to think about this is: ‘what is the chance that a family member of mine gets murdered in a terrorist attack?’ At this point, they’re still more likely to be murdered by an invasion from Gaza than by an invasion from the West Bank.
Is that really the case though? Gaza is under complete siege. Moreover, the complacency and attempted cooptation which enabled the October 7th attacks is gone for at least a generation. The West Bank is larger in both population and size and has more connexions to Israel. It seems to me that if you're worried about another terrorist attack, that's where it's most likely to come from.
Maybe it would be more accurate to say that it’s not yet wrong to say it. There’s a couple of times now when Israel has withdrawn from an area, and Hamas has just come straight back in to re-establish its government in those areas. Hamas may be severely weakened, but clearly it’s still able to rebuild its control. And if it can do that, it’s also still capable of planning attacks against Israel — something no-one in the West Bank has yet managed.
But isn't that the official justification for the current raid on Nasser Hospital? From the WaPo:
I don’t recall this… although, note that your quotes imply the hostages had been taken away by the time the IDF got there.
Where does it do that exactly?
Refusing to compromise or refusing to negotiate? These are two very different stances.
There’s a point at which they sort of blend into the same thing.
Perhaps, but I'd say it's begging the question to say that that point has been reached already.
I’m thoroughly confused now. What were we discussing here, again?
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Getting back to the main topic of this thread - I just read the latest blog post on a German-language Israeli blog which I used to occasionally visit to get some idea of what Israelis think, and I'm still kind of dumbstruck by the lack of self-awareness.

The blogger spends some time claiming that everything bad reported about Israel is a collection of lies that has nothing to do with reality. And then, she goes on to talk about how the Palestinians are all bad people who support Hamas, and strongly implies that this means that the world is wrong to worry about Palestinian civilians.

She doesn't seem to realize, at all, that the very fact that she talks in that way about Palestinian civilians kind of confirms the international narrative about Israel, Israeli attitudes, and Israeli goals which she herself dismisses as a collection of lies. She doesn't realize how much her own words sound like "It's a complete lie to claim that I killed that man - and if you research his life, you'll see that he clearly deserved to get killed!"
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:58 am Getting back to the main topic of this thread - I just read the latest blog post on a German-language Israeli blog which I used to occasionally visit to get some idea of what Israelis think, and I'm still kind of dumbstruck by the lack of self-awareness.

The blogger spends some time claiming that everything bad reported about Israel is a collection of lies that has nothing to do with reality. And then, she goes on to talk about how the Palestinians are all bad people who support Hamas, and strongly implies that this means that the world is wrong to worry about Palestinian civilians.

She doesn't seem to realize, at all, that the very fact that she talks in that way about Palestinian civilians kind of confirms the international narrative about Israel, Israeli attitudes, and Israeli goals which she herself dismisses as a collection of lies. She doesn't realize how much her own words sound like "It's a complete lie to claim that I killed that man - and if you research his life, you'll see that he clearly deserved to get killed!"
Some people, sadly, do think like this. After talking to one or two, I think they do it because it’s more comfortable than the alternative: life becomes a lot easier if you think that ‘the other side’ are uniformly bad people who all deserve to be murdered (and then don’t worry too much about the contradictions that causes). It’s by no means a problem which is Israel-specific, but it’s particularly prominent in Israeli politics at the moment.

Luckily, this is by no means universal. There are still people left who can actively question how they think and how their country is behaving. For Israeli news, I read The Times of Israel, which is mildly left-leaning… and sure, some of the writers there are of the ‘all Gazans are Hamas’ type, but there are certainly others who are much more self-aware.

rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

Last I heard: Doctors Without Borders were shot again. An American politician said he wanted all Palestinians dead. Gazan fishermen were shot at. Gazans were eating weeds to survive. All hospitals were destroyed.

Apparently, every particle in Gaza is infused with Hamas. Maybe reading the Quran gives Amalekites the supernatural ability to summon tunnels out of thin air. But the argument that really bothers me is the one trotted out with righteous disbelief: "Is any country other than Israel expected to make concessions after winning a war?" as if the answer can possibly be no. That's the whole decolonial project in a nutshell.
keenir

Post by keenir »

I forget if it was in the scrolling bar of the news yesterday or the day before, but it read that Israel's plan - once this matter with Hamas is closed (my words, not the scroll) - the plan is for the West Bank and Gaza to be de-militarized.

And my thought was "given Israel seemingly brings out the tanks whenever anyone throws rocks or uses a slingshot, how exactly do you de-militarize an area of all the rocks and sticks?"

consider it rhetorical or frustration on my part.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

keenir wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:11 pm I forget if it was in the scrolling bar of the news yesterday or the day before, but it read that Israel's plan - once this matter with Hamas is closed (my words, not the scroll) - the plan is for the West Bank and Gaza to be de-militarized.
I think this is confusing a couple of things. What I saw is that Israel wants any potential Palestinian state to be de-militarised when formed, in much the same way that e.g. Japan’s military is strictly for self-defense only.

keenir

Post by keenir »

bradrn wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:48 pm
keenir wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:11 pm I forget if it was in the scrolling bar of the news yesterday or the day before, but it read that Israel's plan - once this matter with Hamas is closed (my words, not the scroll) - the plan is for the West Bank and Gaza to be de-militarized.
I think this is confusing a couple of things. What I saw is that Israel wants any potential Palestinian state to be de-militarised when formed, in much the same way that e.g. Japan’s military is strictly for self-defense only.
ah, okay. thank you for clarifying and for providing a useful analogy that makes it easier to grasp.
(underlining by me)
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

I really don't know what to say at this point. Seven workers from an NGO trying desperately to save the Gazans from starvation are dead after their three vehicles were individually targeted and struck by the IDF and the best defence the latter can come up with is "Our bad, we thought that maybe one of them might be a member of Hamas." So, basically, better any number of innocent civilians killed rather than risk that one possible enemy combatant gets away. That explains a helluva lot about the current body count. "We do everything we can to minimise civilian casualties" my ass. Even the POTUS can't swallow those lies publicly any more.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:06 pm I really don't know what to say at this point. Seven workers from an NGO trying desperately to save the Gazans from starvation are dead after their three vehicles were individually targeted and struck by the IDF and the best defence the latter can come up with is "Our bad, we thought that maybe one of them might be a member of Hamas." So, basically, better any number of innocent civilians killed rather than risk that one possible enemy combatant gets away. That explains a helluva lot about the current body count. "We do everything we can to minimise civilian casualties" my ass. Even the POTUS can't swallow those lies publicly any more.
The Israeli gov't really does not seem to be trying hard to cover the fact that its conduct is genocidal at this point.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:06 pm I really don't know what to say at this point. Seven workers from an NGO trying desperately to save the Gazans from starvation are dead after their three vehicles were individually targeted and struck by the IDF and the best defence the latter can come up with is "Our bad, we thought that maybe one of them might be a member of Hamas." So, basically, better any number of innocent civilians killed rather than risk that one possible enemy combatant gets away. That explains a helluva lot about the current body count. "We do everything we can to minimise civilian casualties" my ass. Even the POTUS can't swallow those lies publicly any more.
About this, what’s quite interesting (from a dispassionate point of view) is that, even in those corners of the Internet which are normally violently pro-Israel, absolutely no-one is even trying to defend Israel’s actions. Everyone is disgusted. Will this be the event which finally gets Israelis to realise the horror that has been civilian casualties in this war? One can only hope.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

If you want to see some truly horrifying consequences of relying on AI to make decisions that humans should be forced to make, +972 Magazine has some amazing reporting about "Lavender", the system being used by the IDF to decide which Palestinians should be targeted for assassination: https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/

It's a long read and a very unsettling one. Some excerpts:
The Lavender software analyzes information collected on most of the 2.3 million residents of the Gaza Strip through a system of mass surveillance, then assesses and ranks the likelihood that each particular person is active in the military wing of Hamas or PIJ. According to sources, the machine gives almost every single person in Gaza a rating from 1 to 100, expressing how likely it is that they are a militant.
“At its peak, the system managed to generate 37,000 people as potential human targets,” said B. “But the numbers changed all the time, because it depends on where you set the bar of what a Hamas operative is. There were times when a Hamas operative was defined more broadly, and then the machine started bringing us all kinds of civil defense personnel, police officers, on whom it would be a shame to waste bombs. They help the Hamas government, but they don’t really endanger soldiers.” One source who worked with the military data science team that trained Lavender said that data collected from employees of the Hamas-run Internal Security Ministry, whom he does not consider to be militants, was also fed into the machine. “I was bothered by the fact that when Lavender was trained, they used the term ‘Hamas operative’ loosely, and included people who were civil defense workers in the training dataset,” he said.
The sources said that the approval to automatically adopt Lavender’s kill lists, which had previously been used only as an auxiliary tool, was granted about two weeks into the war, after intelligence personnel “manually” checked the accuracy of a random sample of several hundred targets selected by the AI system. When that sample found that Lavender’s results had reached 90 percent accuracy in identifying an individual’s affiliation with Hamas, the army authorized the sweeping use of the system. From that moment, sources said that if Lavender decided an individual was a militant in Hamas, they were essentially asked to treat that as an order, with no requirement to independently check why the machine made that choice or to examine the raw intelligence data on which it is based.
There's a lot more horrifying detail in the article, not all of it directly related to the use of AI--such as the "acceptable" threshold of civilian casualties when targeting an operative and the absolute minimal reconnaissance performed to ensure that targets were even present in residential buildings that were bombed (at night, when their entire families were present). Of course, the IDF has refused to officially confirm much of the content of the article, but it certainly does more to explain their kill counts and wanton destruction of infrastructure than any official explanations ever have.
keenir

Post by keenir »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:12 pm If you want to see some truly horrifying consequences of relying on AI to make decisions that humans should be forced to make, +972 Magazine has some amazing reporting about "Lavender", the system being used by the IDF to decide which Palestinians should be targeted for assassination: https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/
Deja vu...feels like the closing season of Person of Interest.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

bradrn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:43 pm
About this, what’s quite interesting (from a dispassionate point of view) is that, even in those corners of the Internet which are normally violently pro-Israel, absolutely no-one is even trying to defend Israel’s actions. Everyone is disgusted. Will this be the event which finally gets Israelis to realise the horror that has been civilian casualties in this war? One can only hope.
I hope you're right. (Though if the comment box on ToI articles is any indication, there's still a long way to go.)

Though Israel has withdrawn troops, which might mean international reactions (especially the US) have had some effect which is somewhat better than I expected.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:03 am
bradrn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:43 pm
I hope you're right. (Though if the comment box on ToI articles is any indication, there's still a long way to go.)
It was precisely the ToI comment box I was referring to there… I felt the immediate reaction was disgust, but it looks like they’ve since gotten more extreme again.
Though Israel has withdrawn troops, which might mean international reactions (especially the US) have had some effect which is somewhat better than I expected.
Israel withdrew troops… and immediately Hamas launched a rocket attack on Israel, for the first time in a while. This is precisely the situation I feared, and why I was so adamant that simply stopping couldn’t work. Apparently, intelligence suggests that targeted strikes are more effective in stopping Hamas, and I really do hope that that’s correct.

Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:58 pmApparently, intelligence suggests that targeted strikes are more effective in stopping Hamas, and I really do hope that that’s correct.
Imagine that: actually targeting the people who are currently aiming rockets at your country is more effective in stopping attacks than just blowing up the houses of everyone who's worked for the Internal Security Ministry, whether you've verified that they're really inside at the time or not. Israeli intelligence truly deserves its vaunted reputation.
Torco

Post by Torco »

when I hear us-allies saying "targeted strikes" i'm imagining like bombing a wedding with six tons of napalm cause there's a chance a priority target might be there tbh. I remember when I was a kid and everyone was like "the soldier is obsolete, wars will be fought by remote operators, blabla". and like, yeah, bots do some shooting, but the first of the 21st century wars make it clear that no, wars are still fought by dudes with rifles reacting to conditions on the ground, shooting other dudes with rifles. I can't help but think that the 'targeted strikes' doctrine is a way to insist in making the bad prediction become reality.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Torco wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:36 pm when I hear us-allies saying "targeted strikes" i'm imagining like bombing a wedding with six tons of napalm cause there's a chance a priority target might be there tbh. I remember when I was a kid and everyone was like "the soldier is obsolete, wars will be fought by remote operators, blabla". and like, yeah, bots do some shooting, but the first of the 21st century wars make it clear that no, wars are still fought by dudes with rifles reacting to conditions on the ground, shooting other dudes with rifles. I can't help but think that the 'targeted strikes' doctrine is a way to insist in making the bad prediction become reality.
When I hear "targeted strikes" I imagine assassinations by missiles fired from UAV's which kill a dozen people in addition to that actually being targeted.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

A sort-of-one-state federal solution: https://eretz-ard.org.il/

I don't know how realistic this is (I'm guessing not very much) but that's certainly well-thought out.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Torco wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:36 pm when I hear us-allies saying "targeted strikes" i'm imagining like bombing a wedding with six tons of napalm cause there's a chance a priority target might be there tbh.
Yeah, the strikes on the WCK were highly targeted. They managed to hit all three cars in succession and kill everyone in them, including the Hamas gunman who didn't exist.
Torco

Post by Torco »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:58 am A sort-of-one-state federal solution: https://eretz-ard.org.il/

I don't know how realistic this is (I'm guessing not very much) but that's certainly well-thought out.
that be pretty good tbh.