English questions

Natural languages and linguistics
Linguoboy

Re: English questions

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:35 am Is it "comedy movie" or "movie comedy"?
"comedy film" is what I would be most likely to say.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am
Thank you!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am
I am in agreement with this.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Why is the apparent standard pronunciation of "Newfoundland" so weird?
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:40 pm Why is the apparent standard pronunciation of "Newfoundland" so weird?
Reduction of unstressed vowels due to stress only being on the initial syllable.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

That doesn't explain it fully, though. That could yield NEW-fund-lund with two reduced vowels, on the same principle as MAR-uh-lund. But it's NEW-fund-LAND. You will get yelled at by Canadians if you reduce the third syllable, and that's not easy to explain by simple reduction.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I have /ˈnufənlənd/ [ˈnʷyfɘ̃ːnɰɘ̃ːnt] and /ˈmɛ̝rələnd/ [ˈmɛ̝ːʁˤəːɰɘ̃ːnt] myself. I have never heard /ˈnufənˌlænd/, and when I googled a moment ago for the pronunciation of Newfoundland I got /ˈnufənlənd/.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

I've never heard "Newfoundland" pronounced with secondary stress.
Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:18 pm MAR-uh-lund
This sounds wrong to me - I have /merɨlɨnd/ with schwi, pronounced approximately [meʴːln̩(d)]. (It probably should be /merɨlənd/.)
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

If you think the second and third syllables of Newfoundland are both reduced, I would recomment you not travel to Canada. They get mad when you say it that way.
Last edited by Moose-tache on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:46 pm
Moose-tache wrote: MAR-uh-lund
This sounds wrong to me - I have /merɨlɨnd/ with schwi, pronounced approximately [meʴːln̩(d)]. (It probably should be /merɨlənd/.)
This wasn't meant to be linguistic transcription. It was meant ot show that syllables two and three are reduced, as they are in your reply.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:46 pm
Moose-tache wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:18 pm MAR-uh-lund
My pronunciation is analogous to /merɨlɨnd/, but as I have the weak vowel merger I have no phonemic distinction between "/ə/" and "/ɨ/".
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

How to say "Newfoundland" like a real Newfie!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da9zslIFj7o

Oddly, neither of the two "incorrect" pronunciations he gives is /ˈn(j)uː.fənd.lənd/.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 pm Oddly, neither of the two "incorrect" pronunciations he gives is /ˈn(j)uː.fənd.lənd/.
And I have never, ever heard the "incorrect" pronunciation given with /faʊnd/.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 pm
Linguoboy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 pm Oddly, neither of the two "incorrect" pronunciations he gives is /ˈn(j)uː.fənd.lənd/.
I haven't heard that one, but until very recently, I would have assumed it was the "right" one, based on the word's components.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:50 am
I haven't heard that one, but until very recently, I would have assumed it was the "right" one, based on the word's components.
The problem with that pronunciation is that it requires moving the stress to the penultimate syllable, when it always has initial primary stress, with the only question then being whether it has secondary stress on the final syllable. The big reason for the common "incorrect" pronunciation most likely is that in most English varieties final -land (e.g. England, Scotland, Ireland, Finland, Iceland, Maryland) is always an unstressed -/lənd/, so to give it a stressed -/lænd/ is breaking with the normal pattern of placename pronunciation in most English varieties.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

That's how I said it myself growing up until I finally learned the standard pronunciation in my late teens.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This is more an English-learners-of-German question. It seems to me that English-speakers in general have an easier time learning the ach-Laut that the ich-Laut, despite the fact that the ach-Laut is only found in certain English varieties such as Scottish English, and the ich-Laut being found natively as a phone -- but not a phoneme -- in much of NAE at least. (For instance, /h/ before /j/, /i/, and /ɪr/ is pronounced here as [ç], and indeed that is how I personally learned to pronounce the ich-Laut.) Any idea why this is so?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm Any idea why this is so?
The influence of bad fantasy/SF movie/TV conlangs used by evil creatures?
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm This is more an English-learners-of-German question. It seems to me that English-speakers in general have an easier time learning the ach-Laut that the ich-Laut, despite the fact that the ach-Laut is only found in certain English varieties such as Scottish English, and the ich-Laut being found natively as a phone -- but not a phoneme -- in much of NAE at least. (For instance, /h/ before /j/, /i/, and /ɪr/ is pronounced here as [ç], and indeed that is how I personally learned to pronounce the ich-Laut.) Any idea why this is so?
Post-vocalically, the ach-laut occurs as a phone in some English dialects, e.g. Liverpudlian. Also, [ç] is easily confused with [ʃ] by an Englishman, but I don't think I've ever mistaken 'Hugh' for 'shoe'.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think that may be precisely the fact that ich-Laut can be found as a phone, but not a phoneme, in English, that makes it difficult for English-speakers to distinguish and pronounce, whereas ach-Laut is heard as a distinctively different (and, for most, non-English) sound, and thus one that can be distinguished and learned as such.

In my case, my dialect seems to have /h/ as [ç] before /j/ (at least in rapid speech), but not in the other two cases that you mention (/i/ or /ɪr/), and it has been difficult for me to perceive it in my own speech as an independent phone, as opposed to a cluster of [h] + [j]. On the other hand, the first time I heard an English-speaking (former) student of German pronounce a word-final ich-Laut, I heard it as almost indistinguishable from [ʃ] (similar to what Richard W noted), even though I knew intellectually that it had to be a different sound; this may have been due in part to their pronunciation, but probably even more to the fact that I had not yet learned to perceive [ç] as a distinct phoneme.