(Inner) Skou

For the Index Diachronica project
bradrn

Re: (Inner) Skou

Post by bradrn »

Darren wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:16 pm I'm probably over-thinking this, let's just list it as a change and note Donohue's comment about "did not apply uniformly in time to the whole linguistic community".
Yeah, good idea.

On that note, I’m wondering if it might be a good idea to allow grouping sound changes? Since at the moment the two changes *ɡʷ→*ɡ and *ɡ→*j are treated separately, yet they do belong to a single chain shift.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:26 pm
Darren wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:16 pm I'm probably over-thinking this, let's just list it as a change and note Donohue's comment about "did not apply uniformly in time to the whole linguistic community".
Yeah, good idea.

On that note, I’m wondering if it might be a good idea to allow grouping sound changes? Since at the moment the two changes *ɡʷ→*ɡ and *ɡ→*j are treated separately, yet they do belong to a single chain shift.
Clearly marking chain shifts as such is probably a good idea.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:05 pm
Yeah, good idea.

So the question then is: what would be the best approach for doing so?

Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

bradrn wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:26 pm

Yeah, good idea.

Marking them as, say, *a → *b → *c in contrast to *a → *b and *b → *c, which would stand for two separate changes occurring one after another (equivalent to *a → *c and *b → *c from the endpoint POV).
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:36 pm

Marking them as, say, *a → *b → *c in contrast to *a → *b and *b → *c, which would stand for two separate changes occurring one after another (equivalent to *a → *c and *b → *c from the endpoint POV).
Yeah, of course that’s the obvious approach, now that you mention it!

(Though I do wonder how flexibly it can be extended to more complex chain shifts, such as the Great Vowel Shift. Perhaps it’s just not worth giving such shifts any special representation?)

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:36 pm

Hold on… on reflection, this seems confused. A chain shift would surely be *b→*c then *a→*b, right? *a→*b→*c is simply an ordinary sound change with an intermediate step, so not a chain shift at all.

bradrn

Post by bradrn »

I finally got around to transcribing a few more of these sound changes (to Sangke, Wutung and Proto-Vanimo). But now I have some queries:
Darren wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:56 pm *ɵ → e (listed in tables, but later noted that "*ʉ merg[es] with *ɵ, which splits depending on nasality")
On p182 he specifies that ‘square brackets (“[ ]”) are used to indicate a form that is not cognate’, and indeed /e/ in Table 21 is in square brackets, so I presume this actually isn’t a real sound change (but *ʉ→*ɵ is).
*b → w, p (for reflex w only, "innovatio[n] borrowed from Vanimo")
*b → m /_V[+nasal] ("innovatio[n] borrowed from Vanimo")
I believe this can be refined: *b→w only when the following vowel is not nasalised, while *b→p competes with both pathways.
*ɵ̃ → ũ
*ɵ → i (otherwise)
I can’t find this in the paper. Rather, Table 26 suggests non-nasalised *ɵ→ɵ.

Darren

Post by Darren »

bradrn wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 pm I finally got around to transcribing a few more of these sound changes (to Sangke, Wutung and Proto-Vanimo). But now I have some queries:
Darren wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:56 pm *ɵ → e (listed in tables, but later noted that "*ʉ merg[es] with *ɵ, which splits depending on nasality")
On p182 he specifies that ‘square brackets (“[ ]”) are used to indicate a form that is not cognate’, and indeed /e/ in Table 21 is in square brackets, so I presume this actually isn’t a real sound change (but *ʉ→*ɵ is).
*b → w, p (for reflex w only, "innovatio[n] borrowed from Vanimo")
*b → m /_V[+nasal] ("innovatio[n] borrowed from Vanimo")
I believe this can be refined: *b→w only when the following vowel is not nasalised, while *b→p competes with both pathways.
*ɵ̃ → ũ
*ɵ → i (otherwise)
I can’t find this in the paper. Rather, Table 26 suggests non-nasalised *ɵ→ɵ.
Thanks, you're right in all cases. I should check more carefully.