An adventurous etymology idea

Natural languages and linguistics
WeepingElf

An adventurous etymology idea

Post by WeepingElf »

Yesterday, an adventurous etymology idea occurred to me. The word in question is the Celtic word (which was also borrowed into Germanic) for 'iron', *îsarnon. I have seen attempts to derive it from PIE *h1esh2er/n- 'blood' (reconstructed from Anatolian and Tocharian data), perhaps due to the reddish colour of rust (iron as the 'bleeding metal'?). But I also have seen attempts to connect it to Basque izar 'star' - which, I must say, shows some resemblance to PIE *h2ster-. Which doesn't necessarily invalidates the connection between the Celtic and Basque words, though.

But then it occurred to me that one may leave the poor Basques out of this, there are enough bogus ideas involving their language. Perhaps *îsarnon descends from the reflex of *h2ster-no- in some unknown IE language. Well, by invoking an "unknown IE language", one can "prove" anything and nothing, so this is not really worth more than an idea to pursue in my Hesperic conlangs ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Re: An adventurous etymology idea

Post by Travis B. »

How did Proto-Germanic gain its *n in *sternǭ?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:24 pm How did Proto-Germanic gain its *n in *sternǭ?
The Germanic word seems to be from *h2ster-no-, i.e. the same formation I fancy to underlie the Celtic 'iron'-word in its unknown source language.
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:42 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:24 pm How did Proto-Germanic gain its *n in *sternǭ?
The Germanic word seems to be from *h2ster-no-, i.e. the same formation I fancy to underlie the Celtic 'iron'-word in its unknown source language.
Why couldn't Celtic have borrowed its 'iron'-word from the Pre-Germanic word for 'star', and then have it get borrowed back into Pre/Proto-Germanic with the meaning of 'iron'? Why invoke a mysterious, unknown IE language here?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:15 pm
Why couldn't Celtic have borrowed its 'iron'-word from the Pre-Germanic word for 'star', and then have it get borrowed back into Pre/Proto-Germanic with the meaning of 'iron'? Why invoke a mysterious, unknown IE language here?
You have completely missed the point. There is no way *h2ster-no- could give *îsarnon in Celtic, or in any other known IE language - none of them has the sound change rules that would be required for this. Hence my speculation about an unknown language.

You have to know that sound changes in languages are regular; sounds in words don't change willy-nilly, they follow language-specific rules. It is only by this regularity that we can reconstruct languages like Proto-Celtic, Proto-Germanic or Proto-Indo-European. Before linguists had developed the notion of regular sound changes in the 19th century, etymology was a pseudoscience no better than astrology; Voltaire famously characterized it as a field "where consonants count for little and vowels for nothing at all".

And probably, this etymological speculation of mine is just bullfrogs, and *îsarnon has nothing to do with *h2ster-no-. It is just an idea to pursue in a conlang, nothing more ;)
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:06 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:15 pm

You have completely missed the point. There is no way *h2ster-no- could give *îsarnon in Celtic, or in any other known IE language - none of them has the sound change rules that would be required for this. Hence my speculation about an unknown language.

You have to know that sound changes in languages are regular; sounds in words don't change willy-nilly, they follow language-specific rules. It is only by this regularity that we can reconstruct languages like Proto-Celtic, Proto-Germanic or Proto-Indo-European. Before linguists had developed the notion of regular sound changes in the 19th century, etymology was a pseudoscience no better than astrology; Voltaire famously characterized it as a field "where consonants count for little and vowels for nothing at all".

And probably, this etymological speculation of mine is just bullfrogs, and *îsarnon has nothing to do with *h2ster-no-. It is just an idea to pursue in a conlang, nothing more ;)
You probably know Celtic better than I do (my knowledge of it is, well, very limited). Yes, it seems that PGmc could not be a source of *isarnon, because this would have required *st > *s, and from reading about it seems that PGmc does not seem to allow for *#h2C to become *iC (*h2 is the "a-coloring laryngeal" after all). We would need something which has *#stV > *#istV > *isV. About PGmc, though, I would not rule out the possibility of our unknown language being Para-Germanic.
Last edited by Travis B. on Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:13 pm You probably know Celtic better than I do (my knowledge of it is, well, very limited). Yes, it seems that PGmc could not be a source of *isarnon, because this would have required *st > *s, and from reading about it seems that PGmc does not seem to allow for *#h2C to become *iC (*h2 is the "a-coloring laryngeal" after all). We would need something which has *#stV > *#istV > *isV. About PGmc, though, I would not rule out the possibility of our unknown language being Para-Germanic.
Yes, we need a language with the development you give, and this happened neither in Celtic nor in Germanic. My conjecture is that it was a "Southwest IE" language, as I call a hypothetical branch coordinate to Anatolian and associated with the Bell Beaker culture, which would also be the language family reflected in the Old European Hydronymy (if that is not just a spurious, meaningless pattern falling out of the sheer amount of data). We know very little about its phonological developments, but it seems to have merged *o with *a, and may have lengthened short vowels in stressed open syllables (which may explain why the word for 'linen' has an unexpected long in Germanic, Celtic and Italic). The development *#stV > *#istV is similar to what happened in Western Romance and in British Celtic, so this may have happened in some Southwest IE languages as well.

And the Basque word for 'star', izar, may have been borrowed from the same language the Celtic/Germanic 'iron' word came from.
My conlang pages
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

And then there is another pair of puzzling words: Latin sîdus, gen. sîderis 'asterism' vs. Greek sidêros 'iron'. They look similar to each other but don't really match, but could be from related substratum languages. And they could be imagined to descend from PIE *h2ster- as well. So the source language may be another unknown IE language. But I should perhaps better stop here.
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:23 pm And then there is another pair of puzzling words: Latin sîdus, gen. sîderis 'asterism' vs. Greek sidêros 'iron'. They look similar to each other but don't really match, but could be from related substratum languages. And they could be imagined to descend from PIE *h2ster- as well. So the source language may be another unknown IE language. But I should perhaps better stop here.
The thing here is that inherited *sV became /h/ in Greek, with a few exceptions, such as *sw. This implies that sidêros is probably not an inherited word in Greek.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:04 pm
WeepingElf wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:23 pm And then there is another pair of puzzling words: Latin sîdus, gen. sîderis 'asterism' vs. Greek sidêros 'iron'. They look similar to each other but don't really match, but could be from related substratum languages. And they could be imagined to descend from PIE *h2ster- as well. So the source language may be another unknown IE language. But I should perhaps better stop here.
The thing here is that inherited *sV became /h/ in Greek, with a few exceptions, such as *sw. This implies that sidêros is probably not an inherited word in Greek.
Right. In fact, sidêros has no accepted etymology, and is probably a loanword from some other language. That language may have had a relative in Italy, which Latin may have borrowed sîdus, gen. sîderis from. Alas, we know nothing about that language. The resemblance to PIE *h2ster- is too slight to draw any conclusions from it. (Of course, the resemblance between *îsarnon and *h2ster- is not really better.)
My conlang pages
Lambuzhao

Post by Lambuzhao »

Super interesting topic! Getting a Martian vibe (the deity and planet) with these interesting star-red-blood-iron connections.

Let me add my two cents:

1.1¢ - Not just the Anatolian and Tocharian branches had a *h₁ésh₂r̥ 'blood' cognate. Apparently, Old Latin had a word attested variously as assyr, ascer, assar which meant 'blood'.

Also

1.2¢ - This connexion pointed me to meteorite metal, like Tutankhamun's meteoric iron dagger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankham ... ron_dagger

Though meteorite 'iron' (which was an amalgam of iron and other metals) was not as strong as tempered steel (apparently due to too much nickel in many meteorites), it was extremely sought after, even into modern times.

Furthermore

1.3¢ - In that wiki article, one of the Tel-Amarna letters lists such a weapon that was bequeathed by a Mitanni king. Hmmm… Mitanni are Anatolians, ¿no? Possible evidence pointing to a Hurro-Urartian para-IE source for σιδηρος & sidus???

**I checked an online Hurro-Urartian word-list. Looks like their word for blood is zur=gi. Their word for star is MUL=hi-. Cannot find HU lexemes for either 'red' or 'iron'.
xxx

Post by xxx »

It's all the more amusing or disturbing because
iron is the end product of the stars,
and blood is red because of the iron it contains...

the old-timer's knowledge is often a step ahead of the science that repeats it...
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Lambuzhao wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:35 amMitanni are Anatolians, ¿no?
No, they were Indo-Iranian/Indo-Aryan.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

KathTheDragon wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:07 pm
I thought Lambuzhao meant that geographically (which would be partly right - the core area is rather Northern Mesopotamia and Syria South of Anatolia, but the kingdom extended into Anatolia). In any case, the Mitanni actually spoke Hurrian, a language that forms its own small language family with Urartian; wider relationships have been speculated about, but not been proven. The Indo-Aryan element (personal names, theonyms, terms related to horse training) seems to have been limited to part of the military elite. It's not even clear whether the Indo-Aryans were the ruling class (à la Norman French speaking monarchs and aristocracy in medieval England) or just a significant faction of the aristocracy.
Lambuzhao

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sorry, I meant Anatolian with respect to geography.

¡¡ Dolchunus im, Hwhatting!! ;)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Lambuzhao wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm
Sorry, I meant Anatolian with respect to geography.

¡¡ Dolchunus im, Hwhatting!! ;)
When Indo-Europeanists speak of "Anatolian languages", they usually mean the particular branch consisting of Hittite, Palaic, Luwian, Lycian, Lydian etc. If they talk about languages of Anatolia in general, they say, "languages of Anatolia".
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Lambuzhao wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm ¡¡ Dolchunus im, Hwhatting!! ;)
Uffipulís wuscu!
serve-PARCT.PRES.ACT.M.SG.NOM be.pleased-1SG.PRES.ACT
You're welcome! (lit: I'm happy serving.)
Talskubilos

Post by Talskubilos »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:07 pmYesterday, an adventurous etymology idea occurred to me. The word in question is the Celtic word (which was also borrowed into Germanic) for 'iron', *îsarnon. I have seen attempts to derive it from PIE *h1esh2er/n- 'blood' (reconstructed from Anatolian and Tocharian data), perhaps due to the reddish colour of rust (iron as the 'bleeding metal'?).
That's right. :) Interestingly enough, Tibetan chak 'iron' has undergone the same semantic drift from 'blood'.
Ketsuban

Post by Ketsuban »

Talskubilos wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:36 am Interestingly enough, Tibetan chak 'iron' has undergone the same semantic drift from 'blood'.
That's ལྕགས (lcags) for those playing at home. I have no resources for Tibetan but I do have a copy of Schuessler's etymological dictionary of Old Chinese, which gives 鐵 as being from "black" rather than "blood" (c.f. 驖 "black horse").
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

And iron is often associated with the colour black - it is not literally black but noticeably darker than other metals such as tin, especially if it is alloyed with carbon (as iron reduced with coal is). And lodestone (magnetite, Fe3O4), an important iron ore, is indeed literally black.
My conlang pages