Innovative Usage Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
vlad

Re: Innovative Usage Thread

Post by vlad »

Nortaneous wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:53 pm Are there people who say [bʊf] for "boof", [fʊf] for "foof", [pʊf] for "poof", or [lʊfə] for "loofah"?
Australian English has /bʊf/ "clumsy/stupid person" and /pʊf/ "gay man", but those probably aren't the words you have in mind.
Imralu

Post by Imralu »

zompist wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:47 pm I just noticed this, because both words appeared in the same Metafilter post, from two different people:

cronch (for crunch)
monch (for munch)

Both applied to dogs. Interesting sound symbolism here... usually a more open vowel is less cute, not more so.
In my dialect, they conform to the rule.
[kʰɹänt͡͡ʃ] → [kʰɹɔnt͡͡ʃ]
[mänt͡͡ʃ] → [mɔnt͡͡ʃ]
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = (non-)specific, A/ₐ = agent, E/ₑ = entity (person or thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS | ILIAQU
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

zompist wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:47 pm I just noticed this, because both words appeared in the same Metafilter post, from two different people:

cronch (for crunch)
monch (for munch)

Both applied to dogs. Interesting sound symbolism here... usually a more open vowel is less cute, not more so.
I can't decide how cronch and monch are to be pronounced - the could have either -[ɒ̃ʔtʃ] or -[ãʔtʃ] based on the spelling to me.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

/-ɒntʃ/ [-ɔntʃ] for me.
zyxw59

Post by zyxw59 »

"The specific details of what need to be done are something I have not fully fledged out yet"

presumably a conflation of "fleshed out" and "fully fledged"
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

vlad wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:23 am
Nortaneous wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:53 pm Are there people who say [bʊf] for "boof", [fʊf] for "foof", [pʊf] for "poof", or [lʊfə] for "loofah"?
Australian English has /bʊf/ "clumsy/stupid person" and /pʊf/ "gay man", but those probably aren't the words you have in mind.
/buːf/ "to administer rectally", /puːfi/ "large, billowing (of clothing)"
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
äreo

Post by äreo »

Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just realized that on does a lot of interesting things in phrasal verbs that could be said to verge on a kind of partitive, atelic, or iterative function. We can work on a project or live on X number of dollars a month.

But where it's really stood out to me is when it comes to verbs of consumption. We can say we sip on a drink or nibble on a snack and those are common enough--but lately I've heard and used eat on to mean "eat part of," as in I make a big batch of chili and then I can eat on it for a few days. I could even see myself generalizing this to say something like I found this cool piano piece and I've been practicing on it for a while.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

äreo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:17 pm Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just realized that on does a lot of interesting things in phrasal verbs that could be said to verge on a kind of partitive, atelic, or iterative function. We can work on a project or live on X number of dollars a month.

But where it's really stood out to me is when it comes to verbs of consumption. We can say we sip on a drink or nibble on a snack and those are common enough--but lately I've heard and used eat on to mean "eat part of," as in I make a big batch of chili and then I can eat on it for a few days. I could even see myself generalizing this to say something like I found this cool piano piece and I've been practicing on it for a while.
Eat on here is probably by analogy with live on, e.g. "He lives on the money he makes developing software."
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

äreo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:17 pm Someone may have mentioned this before, but I just realized that on does a lot of interesting things in phrasal verbs that could be said to verge on a kind of partitive, atelic, or iterative function. We can work on a project or live on X number of dollars a month.

Just seems like a continuation of eat on. Probably i think "with" would be more appropriate so i will steal that for Amarin.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

'Practice on' is already pretty standard, I feel. But I agree with Travis on 'live on' vs 'eat on' (the latter of which I've never heard myself).
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
äreo

Post by äreo »

Now that I think about it more, eat off is also something I've heard and said, probably even more than eat on. This also fits with a pretty common pattern, where off and on form more or less equivalent phrasal verbs. You can live on or live off a given income, and (at least in my idiolect/local speech) you can eat on or eat off Thanksgiving leftovers for a few days.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

eat on sounds acceptable to me but not eat off but live on and live off both sound acceptable
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:07 pm
vlad wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:23 am
/buːf/ "to administer rectally", /puːfi/ "large, billowing (of clothing)"
Boof ‘to use marijuana in inhalant form (instance as opposed to habit); marijuana so administered’ (I despise this word because the person I heard it from fundamentally annoys me), poof ‘puff of vapor; to disappear, leaving such a trace behind’
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:10 pm Eat on here is probably by analogy with live on, e.g. "He lives on the money he makes developing software."
I would've assumed it would be by analogy to feed on and graze on.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

KathTheDragon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:36 am
Travis B. wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:10 pm Eat on here is probably by analogy with live on, e.g. "He lives on the money he makes developing software."
I read eat on differently from feed on or graze on here, e.g. you can say "The rabbits like to feed on (or graze on) our tomato plants" but ?"The rabbits like to eat on our tomato plants" sounds funny to me, whereas "We can eat on the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving for a few days afterwards" sounds fine to me.
äreo

Post by äreo »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:36 am
I read eat on differently from feed on or graze on here, e.g. you can say "The rabbits like to feed on (or graze on) our tomato plants" but ?"The rabbits like to eat on our tomato plants" sounds funny to me, whereas "We can eat on the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving for a few days afterwards" sounds fine to me.
Yeah, the latter is more the usage I'm talking about, although the former doesn't sound all that strange to me.
KathTheDragon

Post by KathTheDragon »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:36 am
That shouldn't matter for the analogy.