Almea+400

Almea and the Incatena
Ares Land

Re: Almea+400

Post by Ares Land »

I'm on the Patreon, but while I'm here I'd like to register my interest for a Kindle version :)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:13 am What, no one in this thread commented on this announcement yet?
Only because I had absolutely no idea it existed! I only just saw the announcement from your link, and I’m already excited!
Ares Land wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:50 am I'm on the Patreon, but while I'm here I'd like to register my interest for a Kindle version :)
I’d like to second this request!

(To be honest, I’m slightly conflicted on this. I’ve always got zompist’s books on the Kindle, and would want to do the same for this one… but Kindle’s ebook format makes such things as images and tables a miserable experience, which would affect a book like this particularly badly. Besides, my Kindle’s battery hasn’t worked for ages. But having a Kindle version is better than not having it.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

bradrn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:57 am (To be honest, I’m slightly conflicted on this. I’ve always got zompist’s books on the Kindle, and would want to do the same for this one… but Kindle’s ebook format makes such things as images and tables a miserable experience, which would affect a book like this particularly badly. Besides, my Kindle’s battery hasn’t worked for ages. But having a Kindle version is better than not having it.)
We've seen an early version on the Patreon; I think a Kindle version'll be fine. (Though I've had the problems you mention before.)
You don't need a Kindle device besides; the web and mobile/tablet apps are pretty good too.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:39 am You don't need a Kindle device besides; the web and mobile/tablet apps are pretty good too.
Wait, there's a kindle web app? I'll have to look that up. I usually try to avoid buying stuff from Amazon these days, and I haven't bought any Kindle ebooks in years - my physical Kindle died a while ago, and a while later, I deleted my cellphone Kindle app - but if there's a web app, I might want to buy some stuff that's difficult to get in any other way.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:39 am You don't need a Kindle device besides; the web and mobile/tablet apps are pretty good too.
On Windows I hated the Kindle program (not least because it stole my keyboard bindings — globally!). On Linux, of course, they don’t support it at all. I’ll take your word for the webpage, assuming of course I can log into my Kindle account at all. And I guess if worst comes to worst, I can still plug in my Kindle, download the file and read it locally.

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:03 am
On Windows I hated the Kindle program (not least because it stole my keyboard bindings — globally!). On Linux, of course, they don’t support it at all. I’ll take your word for the webpage, assuming of course I can log into my Kindle account at all. And I guess if worst comes to worst, I can still plug in my Kindle, download the file and read it locally.
I don't think Ares Land meant the local Kindle app. I just logged on to Amazon for the first time in a while, poked around a bit in the menus, and eventually found a part of the website that lets me read my old Kindle books directly in my browser, without any need to install anything.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:12 am
I don't think Ares Land meant the local Kindle app. I just logged on to Amazon for the first time in a while, poked around a bit in the menus, and eventually found a part of the website that lets me read my old Kindle books directly in my browser, without any need to install anything.
Yeah, I know that was what they were referring to.

Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

The MacOS app was awful too! I don't think they even support it anymore (never really used it much, and I switched to Linux anyway)
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:57 am
Ares Land wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:50 am I'm on the Patreon, but while I'm here I'd like to register my interest for a Kindle version :)
OK, sure. :) You'll just have to suffer with the images. (Maybe this depends on the type of Kindle?)
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:09 pm
bradrn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:57 am
OK, sure. :) You'll just have to suffer with the images. (Maybe this depends on the type of Kindle?)
This is quite possible, actually. Mine is a Paperwhite, which is a bit… well, let’s say they didn’t go out of their way to include lots of features. But I don’t recall the desktop renderer being any better. However, yesterday I tested Okular on an EPUB file and it seemed to be a bit better.