Venting thread

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: Venting thread

Post by Raphael »

malloc wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 pm Got a call from my bank today but it went to voicemail because I was working. The voicemail says nothing about what they want apart from calling back. Really worried that my identity got stolen or something.
Sounds like it might be from your bank, or it might be an attempt by someone else to steal your identity. What does everyone else think?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:46 am
malloc wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 pm Got a call from my bank today but it went to voicemail because I was working. The voicemail says nothing about what they want apart from calling back. Really worried that my identity got stolen or something.
Sounds like it might be from your bank, or it might be an attempt by someone else to steal your identity. What does everyone else think?
I work at a bank. Remarks and thoughts mine own and not official from mine employer.

Could be either. Couple of tells:
- Legitimate messages will ask you to call back, but won’t make it out to be urgent like it’s the end of the world. Scammers try to pressure you to act quickly and without thinking.
- Did they leave any information that you can check and verify (names, e-mails, branch phone numbers)? If it’s legit they’ll leave a callback number—so you can verify it. Scammers will ask you to call back from voicemail.
- Not giving the specific matter doesn’t concern me. A lot of that stuff is confidential so they won’t give it unless they directly speak to you for your safety/privacy.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Entirely agree with Man in Space. Call your usual branch number if you have a doubt.
(My bank never leaves details in voicemail either. They have security/confidentiality concerns.)
malloc

Post by malloc »

Managed to reach the bank this morning and they said the call was for some new kind of savings account that could get me higher interest, because of how much interest rates have risen over the past year. So nothing about identity theft at least.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

malloc wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:53 am Managed to reach the bank this morning and they said the call was for some new kind of savings account that could get me higher interest, because of how much interest rates have risen over the past year. So nothing about identity theft at least.
I hope you didn't give them any personal information in the process...
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:15 pm
malloc wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:53 am Managed to reach the bank this morning and they said the call was for some new kind of savings account that could get me higher interest, because of how much interest rates have risen over the past year. So nothing about identity theft at least.
If it's his bank, then they have it already.

They can't open a new account from him without explicit assent (unless of course they're Wells Fargo in which case they'll just do it and say sowwy and pay a fine later).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:42 pm
Travis B. wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:15 pm
If it's his bank, then they have it already.

They can't open a new account from him without explicit assent (unless of course they're Wells Fargo in which case they'll just do it and say sowwy and pay a fine later).
My point is that if he called the phone number left by the message, who knows if it was actually his bank. In these kinds of situations the smart thing to do (and which I very much hope he did) is to look up the phone number for the bank and ignore the phone number left in the message, and call them and explain that he got left a message.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Actually, I ended up having to go into the bank branch physically and talked to the person who called me. So nothing personal revealed over the phone. (Almost posted this in the thread on Welsh syntactic change by accident...)
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

malloc wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:14 pm Actually, I ended up having to go into the bank branch physically and talked to the person who called me. So nothing personal revealed over the phone. (Almost posted this in the thread on Welsh syntactic change by accident...)
Welsh syntax uses cards and contactless payments anymore, not change.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

The irony of being called a creep for liking My Little Pony by a schoolteacher who plays WoW and hawks essential oils.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:36 pm The irony of being called a creep for liking My Little Pony by a schoolteacher who plays WoW and hawks essential oils.
Well, to be fair, a lot of the grown men who like My Little Pony are creeps.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:21 pm
Man in Space wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:36 pm The irony of being called a creep for liking My Little Pony by a schoolteacher who plays WoW and hawks essential oils.
Well, to be fair, a lot of the grown men who like My Little Pony are creeps.
I did nothing to engender that sort of reaction. I made a comment in response to (and agreeing with) a commenter who named it as an example of something for kids that was affected by the adult demographic. I stated I was a fan of the show and did not go into any further detail. On that basis I was attacked.

One wonders how many who share that sentiment are Disney adults or fans of Bluey.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I just refuted someone claiming that Russian is not a Slavic language by referring to George Shevelov’s A Prehistory of Slavic. They said “I do not know what is written there, but the author clearly has a Russian surname, so there is reason to believe that he could have written as Russian propaganda wanted”.

He is Ukrainian-American.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Man in Space wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:45 pm I just refuted someone claiming that Russian is not a Slavic language
???
by referring to George Shevelov’s A Prehistory of Slavic. They said “I do not know what is written there, but the author clearly has a Russian surname, so there is reason to believe that he could have written as Russian propaganda wanted”.
‽‽‽‽‽
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I should have gone to trade school.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:30 am I should have gone to trade school.
Oh, if you had learned a trade, you might now be arguing with non-professionals who think they know your trade better than you.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:18 am
Man in Space wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:30 am I should have gone to trade school.
Oh, if you had learned a trade, you might now be arguing with non-professionals who think they know your trade better than you.
After having needed 1.5 - 2 years each time for projects at my house (new rain pipes and gutter, then a wallbox and a new fuse box), because it was impossible to find roofers and electricians, and then because they delayed showing up again and again, probably because they had bigger, more profitable projects elsewhere, I've decided that in my next life I'll become a craftsman...
alice

Post by alice »

Flew down to Exeter for a week's holiday. Flight was delayed by an hour, meaning an extra hour of hanging around a busy and noisy airport. Minor but annoying issues with the hire car. All this while suffering discomfort after an ME episode. Result: a nasty attack of anxiety and the first day ruined, and I get another chance to experience the symptoms of a bad bout of food poisoning without having to eat anything first. WHY??????

Ironically the flight itself was fine.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Made a huge mistake at work today and cost them thousands of dollars again. After all the mistakes I've made here, this one may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and gets me fired. Certainly it has ruined my reputation here since I already had far more mistakes than the other employees here. Given the rapid advances in automation these days, this has probably pushed the company into going ahead and replacing us with robots once and for all.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I had to go to the ER. Not because I needed it, but because my parents (my father, mostly) forced me to. I was ultimately discharged without any medication or anything dispensed and now I am upset that I’m going to have to pay at least $200 for the experience.