Uses of the octothorp. (#)

Topics that can go away
jcb

Uses of the octothorp. (#)

Post by jcb »

The octothorpe (#, aka "number sign" or "hash") is a strange character, because it has many various, unrelated uses, and that despite this irregularity, it's even in ASCII, and on every keyboard. I've recorded the following:

General Use:
- number sign : #1 (read as "number one")
- abbreviation for "lb" (I've never seen this irl, but wikipedia says it was used this way at one point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign )
- (hash)tag marker (on twitter and other websites) (note that this is derived from IRC using it as a channel marker)

Programming Languages:
- heading marker (in markdown) (Maybe this is derived from IRC too ?)
- comment marker (in some programming languages)

Other Uses:
- checkmate marker (in chess algebraic notation)
- end of string marker : At my last job, I had to enter a number code on a 12-button keypad to open the door to the building, and the last button pressed was always the octothorpe.

Has anybody here run into any other uses of the octothorpe ?
bradrn

Re: Uses of the octothorp. (#)

Post by bradrn »

jcb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:34 am Programming Languages:
Also in shebang lines in Unix scripts.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
alice

Post by alice »

bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:49 am
And comments in Unix scripts generally.

Also:

- C and C++ preprocessor directives
- catenation in C macros
- length operator in Lua
- "pound sign" in daily life in some countries
- beginning and end of word in sound changes
- raising of a musical note by a semitone (yes, this is pushing it a bit)
- prefix denoting hexadecimal numbers in some assembly languages
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

alice wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:55 am
bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:49 am
And comments in Unix scripts generally.
jcb already said that…
No, that’s very specifically a sharp sign ♯, not a hash #.

(It’s vitally important to get these things right, you know!)

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

Er, you guys know there was once a thing called a "typewriter", right?

Typewriters had a # sign because they were used in business for "number" and "pounds".

The ASCII table includes all the (US) typewriter symbols. All the computer uses arose because these symbols were available and not needed for ordinary text.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:20 am The ASCII table includes all the (US) typewriter symbols. All the computer uses arose because these symbols were available and not needed for ordinary text.
I don’t see how that contradicts any of what we said.

(The octothorp isn’t even the most egregious example of this. `~^\ barely existed at all before ASCII summoned them into being.)

Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Has anybody here run into any other uses of the octothorpe ? # Yes, in the capacity I’ve used it in this comment.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:42 am
zompist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:20 am The ASCII table includes all the (US) typewriter symbols. All the computer uses arose because these symbols were available and not needed for ordinary text.
I don’t see how that contradicts any of what we said.
I was grumping "kids these days", not contradicting.

But I do have a point, and it's that jcb got the cause and effect wrong. It's not "there are so many uses of # that they put it in ASCII." It's "They put # in ASCII, so there are many uses."

BTW, for more uses: # is sometimes used in phonology to mark word boundaries, which is why I support that in the SCA.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

zompist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:20 am Er, you guys know there was once a thing called a "typewriter", right?

Off-topic, but now I wonder when they stopped writing "USA" as "U.S.A.".
LingEarth

Post by LingEarth »

I mean, programming languages repurpose existing symbols for all sorts of things anyway--see the use of a period for struct fields / object methods / etc.
bradrn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:00 am
No, that’s very specifically a sharp sign ♯, not a hash #.
And yet, there is the programming language C# (C-sharp)!

Anyway, besides having multiple uses, I'm pretty sure this symbol has more names than any other symbol. The ones that come to mind include...
  • Pound sign
  • Hash sign
  • Number sign
  • Octothorpe
Did I miss any?
LingEarth the Earthling

she/her
Ketsuban

Post by Ketsuban »

The programming language INTERCAL (which gives new names to everything, in line with its goal to, to the greatest degree possible, use only constructions not found in any other language) calls it a mesh.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

LingEarth wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:11 am Anyway, besides having multiple uses, I'm pretty sure this symbol has more names than any other symbol. The ones that come to mind include...
  • Pound sign
Why "Pound sign"? Isn't the Pound sign this: £ ?
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:08 am
LingEarth wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:11 am Anyway, besides having multiple uses, I'm pretty sure this symbol has more names than any other symbol. The ones that come to mind include...
  • Pound sign
Because it apparently has been used as an abbreviation for lb., though I have only heard of that and never seen it, but it has been mentioned in this thread.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:08 am
  • Pound sign
Weight, not currency.
alice

Post by alice »

zompist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:15 am BTW, for more uses: # is sometimes used in phonology to mark word boundaries, which is why I support that in the SCA.
I did actually already say that :-)

For those who were confused by zompist's reference to the "typewriter", it was a mechanical device somewhat like a laptop with a built-in printer but no screen.
Self-referential signatures are for people too boring to come up with more interesting alternatives.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:22 pm
zompist wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:15 am BTW, for more uses: # is sometimes used in phonology to mark word boundaries, which is why I support that in the SCA.
I did actually already say that :-)

For those who were confused by zompist's reference to the "typewriter", it was a mechanical device somewhat like a laptop with a built-in printer but no screen.
Now I feel old in that my family had a typewriter... and not an electric one either... when I was a kid.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinut'a gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
jcb

Post by jcb »

But I do have a point, and it's that jcb got the cause and effect wrong. It's not "there are so many uses of # that they put it in ASCII." It's "They put # in ASCII, so there are many uses."
I didn't mean to imply the former; I know that it's the latter.

I now realize I explained this poorly. I should've said something like: It's somewhat surprising that they put it in ASCII despite the few use cases (marking numbers and pounds). The use cases increased because people needed more symbols for things, but didn't have many to choose from in a pre-unicode era, but the octothorpe was there and available to be used. So now in 2023 we have this diversely (but still comparatively rarely, compared to other ASCII characters) used symbol in ASCII, the most basic of encodings.

I mean, compare this to a section break symbol ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_(typography) ). Why didn't the asterism (⁂) or fleuron (❦) get put onto typewriters (and then into ASCII) ?
BTW, for more uses: # is sometimes used in phonology to mark word boundaries, which is why I support that in the SCA.
I didn't know that you derived this from some linguistics standard. I thought that you introduced that use yourself.
Has anybody here run into any other uses of the octothorpe ? # Yes, in the capacity I’ve used it in this comment.
So, as an answer to a question ? Interesting.
Richard W

Post by Richard W »

Pedantically, what do you mean by 'on every keyboard'? It's not in the Thai (software) keyboard layout, which does have the four characters /-.,. (On the other hand, physical Thai computer keyboards do have the ASCII characters 'engraved' on them.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

jcb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:36 pm
So, as an answer to a question ? Interesting.
Not quite. It’s in response to some comment. Somebody says X; you quote them directly, place an octothorp, and then provide your own comment.
zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

jcb wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:36 pm I now realize I explained this poorly. I should've said something like: It's somewhat surprising that they put it in ASCII despite the few use cases (marking numbers and pounds).
But that's why I brought up the typewriter. They put it in ASCII because it was on the typewriter.
I mean, compare this to a section break symbol ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_(typography) ). Why didn't the asterism (⁂) or fleuron (❦) get put onto typewriters (and then into ASCII) ?
That I can't say for sure, but # had uses in business, which was the first market for typewriters. Both your examples are what are apparently called dinkuses, which are the domain of printers, not writers.

Edit: smh at Google, which is now convinced I'm in the market for an old typewriter.