Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Darren

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by Darren »

hwhatting wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:14 am
Jonlang wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:02 pm I was looking up the Latin -que and -ve suffixes today – the ones which mean 'and' and 'or' because I'm basically stealing it for a conlang. I'm not all that familiar with Romance languages though and I was wondering if these actually persisted into any modern languages?
As far as I know, no, they didn't. (NB: in Latin, they sometimes became fixed parts of conjunctions or adverbs like denique "finally, at last"; namque "for"; it's possible that they survived in descendants of such adverbs or conjunctions, although I can't remember any such cases right now.)
There's DE + ŪSQUE > French jusque, Occitan duscas, although it wasn't transparent in Latin (there's no *ŪS). Wikipedia says that QUISQUE gives Old Sard kis, although the -QUE is lost there anyway. Suffice to say, -que was not a feature of proto-Romance or Vulgar Latin.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Thanks for that! I didn't know about jusque; in any case, I guess it also must have gone through a phase where it was remade as ending in something like *-qua:s like the Occitan word, otherwise the final -e shouldn't have survived.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

hwhatting wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:04 am
MacAnDàil wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:40 am Thank you for your answer, though it is a shame that there is little for Scottish Gaelic and I can't seem to access the link you sent.
You're welcome. I re-checked the link and it's working fine for me; maybe this alternative version works?
https://nbn-resolving.org/urn:nbn:de:hbz:5-11426
I didn't manage to connect to either page, oddly, but this one, I did: https://vdoc.pub/download/der-grundwort ... bnbil1rst0.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Got an automated email from Netflix that features the First Name/Sie combination today. Outside of German translations of English texts, that combination is rare enough for me to find it noteworthy.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:51 am Outside of German translations of English texts
Which this probably is as well?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:12 pm
Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:51 am Outside of German translations of English texts
Which this probably is as well?
Yes, probably.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just saw a Mastodon post by a media outlet from Boston that spelt "you know" as "yanno".
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:42 pm I just saw a Mastodon post by a media outlet from Boston that spelt "you know" as "yanno".
There is nothing odd about that aside from that it's not part of de-facto "standard" informal writing; the "standard" way of writing it would be "y'know". And this is not specific to New England at all, just for the record.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:12 pm
Raphael wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:42 pm I just saw a Mastodon post by a media outlet from Boston that spelt "you know" as "yanno".
There is nothing odd about that aside from that it's not part of de-facto "standard" informal writing; the "standard" way of writing it would be "y'know". And this is not specific to New England at all, just for the record.
Ah, thank you!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Cf. 'ya" for "you" in a wide variety of informal contexts (e.g. "see ya", "ya gotta", "ya basic").
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Linguoboy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:45 pm
Cf. 'ya" for "you" in a wide variety of informal contexts (e.g. "see ya", "ya gotta", "ya basic").
Well, of course, but I am talking specifically about /jəˈnoʊ/ - to me "ya know" is perfectly kosher, but "yanno" seems wrong (and implies that the stress is on the first syllable) ─ even though from doing some quick googling it apparently is in the wild (e.g. there is an entry in Wiktionary for it).
Starbeam

Post by Starbeam »

Kinda wish we could make an English miscellany thread, for discussions on the language being used right now that aren't centered on questions about it:

I notice there's no English diaphoneme for /ɛː/ the way there is for /ɔː/. I have to imagine that relative-unevenness triggers at least some dialectal sound shifts.
They or she pronouns. I just know English, have made no conlangs (yet).
Current avatar: rainbow star item from Super Mario Brothers (Japanese game franchize).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Starbeam wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:25 am I notice there's no English diaphoneme for /ɛː/ the way there is for /ɔː/. I have to imagine that relative-unevenness triggers at least some dialectal sound shifts.
I personally do not see any reason why phoneme inventories need be "balanced" in this kind of way; rather, such things are probably just accidents of phonological history.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

bradrn wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:02 pm This is quite something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Stan ... ble_source
Merely a tip of the iceberg though.

https://miidashgeget.wordpress.com/2022 ... dia-sucks/

And mind you I am someone who edits Wikipedia and Wiktionary now and then myself.

I sure have some stories myself. Best one I've got is how the article on the Ge'ez language claimed it had texts going back to the 5th century BC, citing some random guy's terrible personal website. Likely part of the broader practice of people making personal blogs and websites and proceeding to cite themselves. Ge'ez is actually first attested in the 4th century AD. The false bit of information was added in early 2006, and it wasn't removed until I happened to notice it in late 2022.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Kuchigakatai wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:16 am
bradrn wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:02 pm This is quite something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Stan ... ble_source
Merely a tip of the iceberg though.
Oh, I know. I’ve long argued with people here in an attempt to steer them away from Wikipedia’s linguistics articles (which seem particularly bad). This one is just a particularly egregious example.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I'd say how useful or useless Wikipedia is depends to a large extent on how much of an "instinct" someone has developed for what kind of information you can trust how much there. Generally, I'll usually trust them for information that is easily quantifiable rather than subject to judgment calls, and for which they provide a decent source. Other stuff, less so. So, if I want to know who was US Secretary of the Treasury in 1882, I'll usually check Wikipedia. Controversial linguistics information? Less so.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Serious question: Do people in Mainland China these days produce calligraphy in simplified characters?
willm

Post by willm »

Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:42 am Serious question: Do people in Mainland China these days produce calligraphy in simplified characters?
It exists, but generally calligraphy is always in traditional characters. If I remember correctly, Mao himself produced some works after the introduction of simplified characters.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

willm wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:11 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:42 am Serious question: Do people in Mainland China these days produce calligraphy in simplified characters?
It exists, but generally calligraphy is always in traditional characters. If I remember correctly, Mao himself produced some works after the introduction of simplified characters.
Thank you!