Venting thread

Topics that can go away
linguistcat

Re: Venting thread

Post by linguistcat »

zompist wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:56 pm
malloc wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:13 pm Just got a horrible burn on my finger from handling a microwaved bowl before it had time to cool. Typing is really hard now and it will leave a horrible blister. All that on top of a grueling work week. I can hardly enjoy my time off now with this painful injury.
You may not know this: if you get a burn, run cold water over it, and keep the area wet. If it's still hurting, do it now.

(Apparently when you do this, you prevent blistering etc. It works for me for kitchen burns.)
Also as long as the burn/blister is not open, aloe vera gel is very soothing and helps to heal the injury faster. They even make it with added pain medication now. It's good to have on hand for both normal burns and sunburns.
A cat and a linguist.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Do do this it definetly helped me last time i got sunburned.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

foxcatdog wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:32 amDo do this it definetly helped me last time i got sunburned.
+1. And not just immediately after, but for as long as there's still a burning sensation in the skin.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Kind of pissed off/jaded.

Seven Kill Steel seems to be constantly beset by obstacles. One of the guys was unemployed for a minute and another got stiffed on a job payment, and consequently I haven’t gotten last month’s cut of the rent on the practice space from them. I’m not holding my breath for this month either, which is pissing me off because that’s about $600 a month right there. (The fourth guy does pay, and regularly.)

Also, these two guys have children. Which, fine, good for them, but it gets kind of old when you get told “I’ll be there” and then they don’t show for one reason or another.

Not to mention we’ve stagnated. A year and a half in and we’ve got next to nothing to show for it.

I am coming to the conclusion that our old vocalist may have had a point in his revilements of us, and it dismays me greatly. I am wondering if there’s any point in continuing.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Commiserations, Man in Space.

Unrelated: Someone I know got a letter from a government office, dated August 23rd, asking them to send in a specific application by August 23rd.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I understand your grief very well - because I was myself in a failing band for some time. We rehearsed for two and a half years - and got together only four and a half songs, and were nowhere near being able to perform in public. While I did manage to get a gig for us (at a monthly open stage event), it was brought down by another band member, and a third band member suggested an alternative to the failed gig which was utterly inappropriate to the music we were playing - just think of what a bunch of soccer hooligans would do to a left-leaning prog rock band, and you get the bill. That was the point when I quit.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Welp... Both my grandmothers died within weeks of each other. This wasn't exactly a surprise: both were over ninety, and had severe health problems. One was such a basket case of medical conditions that doctors were surprised she was even alive. But... it still hurts. Now I have no grandparent left.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:12 pm Welp... Both my grandmothers died within weeks of each other. This wasn't exactly a surprise: both were over ninety, and had severe health problems. One was such a basket case of medical conditions that doctors were surprised she was even alive. But... it still hurts. Now I have no grandparent left.
Oh dear. My condolences, Ryusenshi!
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:12 pm Welp... Both my grandmothers died within weeks of each other. This wasn't exactly a surprise: both were over ninety, and had severe health problems. One was such a basket case of medical conditions that doctors were surprised she was even alive. But... it still hurts. Now I have no grandparent left.
Aww, I'm so sorry!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

That really sucks ─ I'm very sorry to hear that.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Yeah, that's really sad. My condolences.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

My condolences, too!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

This is a very minor, trivial vent, but for some reason byte streams in zeptoforth are getting corrupted if one uses two byte streams simultaneously in different tasks - but not if I use a single lock protecting a pair of semaphores, just like a byte stream does, alongside an actual byte stream simultaneously. This bug is quite baffling, and I want to put out a bugfix release of zeptoforth in the very near future, but have been putting it off until I get this bug fixed. (As I think this can't just be left by itself, because it is an important issue IMO that needs fixing specifically because it is highly non-obvious.)
malloc

Post by malloc »

They are resurfacing the parking lot next to my apartment building, making the air hazardous to breath, not to mention acrid. Hopefully it will dissipate by tomorrow, but I worry about the long-term health effects of exposure to such intense fumes for an entire day.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

malloc wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm They are resurfacing the parking lot next to my apartment building, making the air hazardous to breath, not to mention acrid. Hopefully it will dissipate by tomorrow, but I worry about the long-term health effects of exposure to such intense fumes for an entire day.
For a single day? Probably negligible. It might be a different story if you were breathing it in for months on end, but you aren’t.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:43 am This is a very minor, trivial vent, but for some reason byte streams in zeptoforth are getting corrupted if one uses two byte streams simultaneously in different tasks - but not if I use a single lock protecting a pair of semaphores, just like a byte stream does, alongside an actual byte stream simultaneously. This bug is quite baffling, and I want to put out a bugfix release of zeptoforth in the very near future, but have been putting it off until I get this bug fixed. (As I think this can't just be left by itself, because it is an important issue IMO that needs fixing specifically because it is highly non-obvious.)
I can recommend the PY155 byte stream disconfounder, although it might be a bit expensive :-)
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:56 am
Travis B. wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:43 am This is a very minor, trivial vent, but for some reason byte streams in zeptoforth are getting corrupted if one uses two byte streams simultaneously in different tasks - but not if I use a single lock protecting a pair of semaphores, just like a byte stream does, alongside an actual byte stream simultaneously. This bug is quite baffling, and I want to put out a bugfix release of zeptoforth in the very near future, but have been putting it off until I get this bug fixed. (As I think this can't just be left by itself, because it is an important issue IMO that needs fixing specifically because it is highly non-obvious.)
I can recommend the PY155 byte stream disconfounder, although it might be a bit expensive :-)
I figured out the problem, and it was both simple and quite confounding - because I was not turning off interrupts during division and modulus operations using the RP2040's division/modulus functionality, if two tasks tried to divide or take moduli simultaneously the results would be corrupted. So I changed the code so it turned off interrupts during this, and it now seems to work okay. (I made sure to save the previous interrupt state beforehand and restore it afterwards, something I hadn't known how to do previously.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

CVS/Pharmacy has failed me for the last time. I am returning to Walgreens and I will pay out of pocket if I have to to spite them.

Relatedly, I left my best friend a message on the phone that I’m pretty sure would show up on a seismometer if he played it back. (He understood. I don’t deserve him.)
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

The “Up Late” page on Facebook recently shared a meme that boiled down to the existence of alveolar affrication before a rhotic in English. I was overjoyed to be able to actually apply my degree and explained the process. Some guy in the comments kept trying to claim that the affrication is not a common process (and implied that Chinese has been static for the duration of its existence). Despite providing multiple academic sources to refute him, he doubled down on it, moved the goalposts, and then basically claimed that no definitive scholarship existed about colloquial English because it changed too fast to keep up.

I hate being a linguist on the Internet. It is a Sisyphean task.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Got a call from my bank today but it went to voicemail because I was working. The voicemail says nothing about what they want apart from calling back. Really worried that my identity got stolen or something.
Mureta ikan topaasenni.
Koomát terratomít juneeratu!
Anti-TESCREAL Action | He/him