Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Linguoboy

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:18 am Sounds mouth-watering. And you got a free ant! :-)
We rescued him and freed him!
xxx

Post by xxx »

to thank you, it gave you an elixir...
that gave you the power to make your readers' mouths water...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Linguoboy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:28 am
xxx wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 amwhere and how much... :P
With cocktail it came close to $300. This is a place on the western edge of Chicago's Noble Square neighbourhood.
That's about twenty times the amount I usually pay for a dinner in a restaurant. Of course, I go to different restaurants ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

MacAnDàil wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:37 am
Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:07 pm (No thanks to you guys, for making me endure the entire bloody song.)
What don't you like? The Marseillaise or Mireille Mathieu or both or something else?
Both, but mostly the Marseillaise.
Torco

Post by Torco »

I got a new job! this is a nice thing. my current was wasn't terrible, but there were many unpleasant things about it: not least of which that it involved a total of 1.5 - 2 hours car commute every day. this new position is remote, in a bigger and better company, and not less money, so I save up on gas, time waster driving, and faff. the title is also fancier, for whatever that's worth: from 'sociologist at company' to 'project director at company': i'm anxious as fuck, tbh, but also happe.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Torco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:38 pm I got a new job! this is a nice thing.
Congratulations and good luck!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Torco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:38 pm I got a new job! this is a nice thing.
Mis felicidades!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Torco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:38 pm the title is also fancier, for whatever that's worth: from 'sociologist at company' to 'project director at company': i'm anxious as fuck, tbh, but also happe.
To me I would much prefer to never, ever become a project director at a company - because I know what I am good at, i.e. writing and debugging software, and what I am not good at, i.e. the crap that one has to deal with to even be a mere scrum master - and I know what the Peter principle is. But that's me.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Torco

Post by Torco »

gracias, my dudes!

Travis: i totally get you, and tbh it's a good thing to be alert to: I've worked in IT for something like 10 years and, yeah, most managers contribute little other than "how are we doing", "let's review the gantt chart" and "but can't you do it this other way <insert silly idea only someone who has no idea what the actual workers are actually doing could come up with>".

this is in another industry, though: market research. hopefully the work will be more fun that pretending to implement agile/scrum/continuous delivery while actually managing the project as waterfall anyway: i'm reportedly being selected on account of being both a stats guy and a tech guy, so I don't expect to be officiating daily stand-up meetings and asking code monkeys to implement features i myself don't understand.

it could be the case, though... but still, fucking remote, man.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

WeepingElf wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:23 am
Linguoboy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:28 am
xxx wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 amwhere and how much... :P
With cocktail it came close to $300. This is a place on the western edge of Chicago's Noble Square neighbourhood.
That's about twenty times the amount I usually pay for a dinner in a restaurant. Of course, I go to different restaurants ;)
So do I usually. Even so there's not many places where I can eat for $15 or less anymore!
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Not counting the conference banquets that normally would be paid for out of grant money, the most I ever spent on a meal was ¥5400 (~€48 at the time) for a kaiseki in Kyoto, Japan, and even the price for that made me feel rather uneasy for blowing that much money on food. (It was very delicious and very memorable, however.) That said, I rarely eat out when I'm not travelling (I actually love cooking), and even when I do travel, I tend to avoid sit-down restaurants if I'm alone (which is usually how I travel) and go for take-away, stuff from grocery stores (useful for drinks), and gelaterias.
Torco wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:38 pm I got a new job! this is a nice thing. my current was wasn't terrible, but there were many unpleasant things about it: not least of which that it involved a total of 1.5 - 2 hours car commute every day. this new position is remote, in a bigger and better company, and not less money, so I save up on gas, time waster driving, and faff. the title is also fancier, for whatever that's worth: from 'sociologist at company' to 'project director at company': i'm anxious as fuck, tbh, but also happe.
Congrats on a new position, and especially in a hopefully better atmosphere! And, indeed, you actually probably end up better in the end by the money you would otherwise blow on commuting.

Minor happy: Might have forgotten to mention that my Italy trip was wonderful, despite the heat wave. Felt quite interesting (in a good way) to be back in Italy for the first time as a tourist in just over 21 years: some things I remembered, especially where I ended up (Naples), but it was otherwise quite new in a sense.

Also went to a Michelin guide-listed pizzeria in Naples, which was worth the hour wait for food... and the pizza was only €6!
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Had a great fish fry at a local place, and this time they weren"t out of potato pancakes (an absolute must, served with applesauce, at any proper fish fry)!
Torco

Post by Torco »

oh man, the italians are just crazy good at pizza.
xxx

Post by xxx »

i found my last valentine's day meal on the seashore...

- Oyster & Beef Tartar with Japanese Flavors, Creamy celery

- Tacos of Prawn Tail, Guacamole, Smoked Mayonnaise from the Sea

- Lobster Bisque with Chamarel Rum, Coconut Milk & Curry

- Roasted Sea Bream, Virgin of Southern Vegetables & its Pesto Verde

- Cabillaud Skrei, fennel cream, Citrus Butter & Timut Pepper

- Scallops, Truffled Veal Jus & Risotto

- St Félicien Mousse, Fig Jam & Walnut Crunch

- Vanilla, Apple & Salted Butter Caramel Tartelette

68€ ½ bottle mineral water, ½ bottle wine & coffee included
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I saw the Barbenheimer double feature today with my father.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:09 pm I saw the Barbenheimer double feature today with my father.
My brother wanted to see oppenheimer and i wanted to see barbie. But my other brother went to see both.
xxx

Post by xxx »

Too bad Oppenheimer wasn't shot in flashy pink Barbie colors
to stimulate the nuclear energy enthusiasm and save the climate from oil Nazism...
(and Barbie in black to encourage the reduction of plastic consumption for the sake of mind formatting...)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Today's Wikipedia's featured article is about a book that looks very interesting. I tried to locate a copy via inter-library loan - and failed. None of the libraries I can loan from carries it. But then I found (at the bottom of the Wikipedia page) that the book can be downloaded from NASA's web site for free. Wow!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

An incredibly rare album I’ve wanted for years just popped up on Discogs. So I bought it. (Soulless Machine by Wrust, who are a metal band from Botswana.)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I think I finally have zeptoIP really working, finally. Of course there is stuff I'd want to do in the future such as adding DHCP, NTP, and ultimately IPv6 support, but in the meantime those can wait.