The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
Estav

Re: The "How Do You Pronounce X" Thread

Post by Estav »

Travis B. wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:19 pm
anteallach wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:11 pm I don't have affrication in either front room or restroom; the latter isn't really used in my dialect anyway. One other curious example where I do have affrication is the brand name Land Rover; indeed I recall being slightly surprised the first time I noticed it was actually written as two words.
One curious example of me misanalyzing a word as a kid is [ˈwɘ̃ːn(t)ˌtʃʰɘ(ː)ɯ̯], which I analyzed as windshield /ˈwɪndˌʃild/ rather than the correct windchill /ˈwɪndˌtʃɪl/ because there's very little difference between /ndʃ/ and /ndtʃ/ phonetically IMD, because final /ld/ is unstable IMD and is readily realized without the stop (so hence my mind easily added a /d/ that did not exist), and because the distinction between /il/ and /ɪl/ is not very salient IMD (e.g. one can very often hear laxing in r[ɪ]lly here).
I have /ɪ/ in really but it's specific to that word (real has /i/). I also have /ɪ/ in the contractions she'll, he'll, we'll (If I don't just have schwa/a syllabic consonant), which I see as similar to how the diphthong of I is often reduced in I'll, giving /ɑl/.
jal

Post by jal »

Re bedroom, I think I have /d/ as [ɖ] because of the following [ɻ]. But I'm not a native speaker, so that doesn't count :D.

JAL
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Does anyone else here have TRAP rather than DRESS in ketchup? Mind you, my TRAP is similar to most non-Inland North-speakers' DRESS, but I certainly do not have my DRESS in ketchup as I have [ɛ] rather than *[ɜ] in it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Znex

Post by Znex »

jal wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:18 am Re bedroom, I think I have /d/ as [ɖ] because of the following [ɻ]. But I'm not a native speaker, so that doesn't count :D.
A lot of English speakers do have retroflex assimilation like that, but it usually becomes an affricate rather than remaining a true stop.

eg. My AuE idiolect: train [tʂɻ̥ɛɪ̯n] drain [d̥ʐɻɛɪ̯n] vs. chain [tʃɛɪ̯n] Jane [d̥ʒɛɪ̯n] vs. attain [əˈtʰɛɪ̯n] Dane [d̥ɛɪ̯n]
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Znex wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:51 pm
jal wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:18 am Re bedroom, I think I have /d/ as [ɖ] because of the following [ɻ]. But I'm not a native speaker, so that doesn't count :D.
A lot of English speakers do have retroflex assimilation like that, but it usually becomes an affricate rather than remaining a true stop.

eg. My AuE idiolect: train [tʂɻ̥ɛɪ̯n] drain [d̥ʐɻɛɪ̯n] vs. chain [tʃɛɪ̯n] Jane [d̥ʒɛɪ̯n] vs. attain [əˈtʰɛɪ̯n] Dane [d̥ɛɪ̯n]
I have the same thing, though after recent experiences I’ve concluded that my accent is more South African than Australian.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

Indeed, but the oddity of bedroom (at least in my idiolect) is that this does not normally happen across a morpheme boundary, but in bedroom it does.
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:36 am

I have the same thing, though after recent experiences I’ve concluded that my accent is more South African than Australian.
In what ways, out of interest?
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

anteallach wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:29 am
bradrn wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:36 am

In what ways, out of interest?
Not entirely sure, to be honest… it’s more of a general perception of myself vs SAE speakers on the one hand and AuE speakers on the other, plus the fact that people invariably tell me I sound South African. (Though curiously enough, when I look at the usual vowel transcriptions, I seem much closer to AuE than SAE.)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Raphael wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:07 pmBasketball.
[ˈbaːskəʔˌbʊˑu̯(ɫʷ)]
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

[ˈb̥ɛskɘʔˌpɒ(ː)o̯]
anteallach

Post by anteallach »

[ˈbaskɪtbɔːɫ]

I'd be curious to know which aspect of it you were asking about, as for me, and I think most others, it's simply basket+ball, with the stress on the former.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

anteallach wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:58 am I'd be curious to know which aspect of it you were asking about, as for me, and I think most others, it's simply basket+ball, with the stress on the former.
Mainly the first "a" and the "t". I'm asking because of the weird way it is often pronounce by Germans, who usually pronounce the "a" as [a:] and sometimes treat the "t" as silent.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

[ˈbɑːskət̚ˌboˑw]

(I think the two [b]s might be devoiced, but I’m really unsure… I tried looking at a spectogram, but if anything it made me less confident about the voicing status!)
Raphael wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:49 am
anteallach wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:58 am I'd be curious to know which aspect of it you were asking about, as for me, and I think most others, it's simply basket+ball, with the stress on the former.
Mainly the first "a" and the "t". I'm asking because of the weird way it is often pronounce by Germans, who usually pronounce the "a" as [a:] and sometimes treat the "t" as silent.
Well, it looks like almost everyone who’s responded so far has some kind of unreleased stop for the [t], so it makes sense for that phoneme at least.

anteallach

Post by anteallach »

The [t] in mine is unreleased too.

It's a BATH word, so it's not surprising that Germans use a long vowel.
Nortaneous

Post by Nortaneous »

idempotent
Duaj teibohnggoe kyoe' quaqtoeq lucj lhaj k'yoejdej noeyn tucj.
K'yoejdaq fohm q'ujdoe duaj teibohnggoen dlehq lucj.
Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq. Teijp'vq.
Estav

Post by Estav »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:47 amidempotent
/ˈaɪdəmˌpoʊtənt/ [ˈaɪɾəmˌpʰoʊʔn̩ˀt]
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Nortaneous wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:47 amidempotent
[ˌəːe̯ɾm̩ˈpʰo̞ʔn̩ʔ]~[ˌəːe̯ɾm̩ˈpʰo̞tɘ̃ʔ]~[ˌəːe̯ɾm̩ˈpʰo̞tɘ̃ʔt]
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

How do you pronounce hundred when you're not paying attention (i.e. not the careful, formal pronunciation) or, in particular, if you are saying something like two hundred and fifty six?
salem

Post by salem »

Travis B. wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:58 pm How do you pronounce hundred when you're not paying attention (i.e. not the careful, formal pronunciation) or, in particular, if you are saying something like two hundred and fifty six?
Something like [ˈhɐnd͡ʒɹ̠ˠɘd̚], [ˈtʰɨː‿ɐ̯nd͡ʒɹ̠ˠɘdⁿ‿n̩ ˈfɘfti ˈsɘks].