Topics that can go away
Man in Space

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Man in Space »

We got to 1’000 replies!!! 🎉
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I can now connect to www.google.com and download HTML and JavaScript over HTTP with zeptoIP (under zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W)!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:00 pm I can now connect to www.google.com and download HTML and JavaScript over HTTP with zeptoIP (under zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W)!
AW[snip]W YEA[snip]H BROTHER!

I have said it before but I will say it again: The way in which you throw your whole self into zeptoforth…it awes and inspires me.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:15 pm
Travis B. wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:00 pm I can now connect to www.google.com and download HTML and JavaScript over HTTP with zeptoIP (under zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W)!
AW[snip]W YEA[snip]H BROTHER!

I have said it before but I will say it again: The way in which you throw your whole self into zeptoforth…it awes and inspires me.
The key things are that I really enjoy programming, particularly the programming I do on my own, and I always need to fix the next bug (only rarely do I declare something a lost cause, e.g. support for the ESP8285 radio which was just far too unreliable for me too accept quality-wise and because the firmware on the ESP8285 itself was proprietary I could not fix it).
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Now I have a rudimentary (it largely works but is rather halting when transmitting large quantities of data) REPL implemented for zeptoIP!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I just discovered that I can import odt and docx documents into Lyx.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:33 am I just discovered that I can import odt and docx documents into Lyx.
You can also try use pandoc for this kind of thing.
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

bradrn wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:29 am
Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:33 am I just discovered that I can import odt and docx documents into Lyx.
You can also try use pandoc for this kind of thing.
Yeah, I think my Lyx installation does call on pandoc when it imports those files.

(I'm just really glad to have found a writing software that has more functionality than a simple text editor while allowing me to look at two documents at once.)

Edited to add: Thank you for pointing me there, anyway!
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:18 am (I'm just really glad to have found a writing software that has more functionality than a simple text editor while allowing me to look at two documents at once.)
On that note, you may also want to look into Emacs org-mode. It’s not really WYSIWYG, and does require learning Emacs, but once you learn how to use it, it’s pretty powerful. Viewing two things at once is the least of what Emacs can do.

(Another LyX-like software is TeXmacs — which despite the name is unrelated to both TeX and Emacs! I don’t believe it can view two things, though.)
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, but I think I'm happy with Lyx for now.
MacAnDàil

Post by MacAnDàil »

Ryusenshi wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:07 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 pm Is French sometimes sung with alveolar trills (kind of like German stage/singing pronunciation)?
(No thanks to you guys, for making me endure the entire bloody song.)
What don't you like? The Marseillaise or Mireille Mathieu or both or something else?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Preprint went online for a paper we're trying to get into a journal! (Two desk rejections so far, but we have our next target in mind.) Also just got back from a trip where I presented the work at a conference; seemed to go well, though some people I know were "disappointed" at the lack of zebrafish.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:12 am Preprint went online for a paper we're trying to get into a journal! (Two desk rejections so far, but we have our next target in mind.) Also just got back from a trip where I presented the work at a conference; seemed to go well, though some people I know were "disappointed" at the lack of zebrafish.
Congratulations!
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

doctor shark wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:12 am Preprint went online for a paper we're trying to get into a journal! (Two desk rejections so far, but we have our next target in mind.) Also just got back from a trip where I presented the work at a conference; seemed to go well, though some people I know were "disappointed" at the lack of zebrafish.
Nice!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Had my first meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant last night and it did not disappoint.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:36 pm Had my first meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant last night and it did not disappoint.
What did you have?
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:28 am
Linguoboy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:36 pm Had my first meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant last night and it did not disappoint.
What did you have?
It was an eleven-course seasonal tasting menu featuring razor clam, uni, fluke, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, black truffle, duck breast, lobster, wagyu beef, prickly pear, and chocolate. I particularly liked the chef's use of microgreens and edible flowers as garnishes. Every plate was beautifully composed.

The greens were so fresh, in fact, that there was an ant on one of the them. I pointed this out to a server, more amused than anything else, and as a consequence they comped me a glass of fortified wine that was older than I am. That was like a $40 ant!
xxx

Post by xxx »

where and how much... :P
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

xxx wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 amwhere and how much... :P
With cocktail it came close to $300. This is a place on the western edge of Chicago's Noble Square neighbourhood.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Sounds mouth-watering. And you got a free ant! :-)