Happy things thread!

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Happy things thread!

Post by Travis B. »

Is French sometimes sung with alveolar trills (kind of like German stage/singing pronunciation)?
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:33 pm Is French sometimes sung with alveolar trills (kind of like German stage/singing pronunciation)?
(No thanks to you guys, for making me endure the entire bloody song.)

I think Mireille Mathieu uses uvular trills, based on sound and tongue position. In this case, it was indeed a common stage pronunciation: see for example Edith Piaf's La Foule. It sounds dated, though: modern singers use the more common uvular fricative / approximant. Mathieu's pronunciation is quite conservative for someone of her generation.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Data transfer over my TCP implementation (part of zeptoIP, for zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W) is just starting to become reliable, finally!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The new router arrived, and after the usual minor hiccups, I've successfully installed it and connected it to everything.
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:23 pm Data transfer over my TCP implementation (part of zeptoIP, for zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W) is just starting to become reliable, finally!
Your progress with zeptoforth both warms ny heart and makes me envious that I am no longer able to pursue my hobby electronics.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:20 pm
Travis B. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:23 pm Data transfer over my TCP implementation (part of zeptoIP, for zeptoforth on the Raspberry Pi Pico W) is just starting to become reliable, finally!
Your progress with zeptoforth both warms ny heart and makes me envious that I am no longer able to pursue my hobby electronics.
It's really too bad that you can't pursue your electronics hobby. Any particular reason, if you don't mind my asking?
alice

Post by alice »

Travis B. wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:18 pm
It's really too bad that you can't pursue your electronics hobby. Any particular reason, if you don't mind my asking?
Well, since you ask :-) :
  • Space: all those bits have to go somewhere, whether I'm using them or not
  • Time: in retrospect I set myself targets which were too ambitious
  • Physical Energy: it's not easy to spend so much of your life soldering when you have ME
  • Mental energy: <expletive>, another soldering mistake, have to do the damned thing all over again
  • Patience: the long turnaround time from having an idea to getting it fully working
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
xxx

Post by xxx »

sure, conlanging in comparison needs nothing except a brain,
and sometime a pen and a piece of paper...
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

alice wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:49 am

• Physical Energy: it's not easy to spend so much of your life soldering when you have ME
  • Mental energy: <expletive>, another soldering mistake, have to do the damned thing all over again
  • Patience: the long turnaround time from having an idea to getting it fully working
This reminds me of the problems that sunk my computer science career. My mental energy and patience were utterly insufficient to deal with making programs do what they were meant to do. Another problem was a strong aversion against Microsoft and their products, which crossed out about 90% of the available jobs.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

I got a new pair of headphones this morning.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:15 am I got a new pair of headphones this morning.
Is it the one that got destroyed?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:43 pm
Man in Space wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:15 am I got a new pair of headphones this morning.
No—the destruction of the old paid motivated the acquisition of the new.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:09 pm
Ah, thank you.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:09 pm
I too wondered if the dog destroyed your brand-new headphones.
xxx

Post by xxx »

WeepingElf wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:15 am This reminds me of the problems that sunk my computer science career. My mental energy and patience were utterly insufficient to deal with making programs do what they were meant to do.
that's why you preferred conlanging ;)
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

xxx wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:31 pm
WeepingElf wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:15 am This reminds me of the problems that sunk my computer science career. My mental energy and patience were utterly insufficient to deal with making programs do what they were meant to do.
that's why you preferred conlanging ;)
There's some truth in that - conlanging became my favourite hobby a few months after my computer science career had collapsed. I did dabble in it earlier, but that was nothing compared with what I am doing now. Of course, conlanging is not a great way of earning money, so I had to find another source of income. For some years, that was a library job, but now I am looking for a job again. And if that fails, I'll try my luck as a freelance writer, even though that is certainly not easy.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

I tend to do more conlanging in times where my brain just is not functioning right, and more programming in times when it is working properly, as I naturally gravitate to programming but brain malfunctioning really gets in the way of being able to program well, so I am exhausted after a day of programming just for my job.
xxx

Post by xxx »

conlanging can be a safe haven...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

alice wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:49 am

For the record, I am terrible at soldering ─ I kill at least a third of the devices that I try to solder. This in a large part is due to my hand tremors (thank you meds) which make it very hard to hold a soldering iron and solder steady. Also I use non-lead solder (just to be on the safe side), and that requires a very high soldering iron temperature, which has a way of melting components such as buttons on boards if I am not careful.