Daily Creativity Thread

Topics that can go away
Travis B.

Re: Daily Creativity Thread

Post by Travis B. »

Nice.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

I was bored.
More: show
Last edited by doctor shark on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
aka vampireshark
The other kind of doctor.
Perpetually in search of banknote subjects. Inquire within.
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

Does Migrúzumótútilót have anything to do with "migration"?
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:46 am Does Migrúzumótútilót have anything to do with "migration"?
Indeed, it does, though the derivation is perhaps a bit odd:
migrúzumótútilót
mygréze + -má + -át + útil + -ót
movement + GEN + IND.PL + tool + IND.PL

(literally "movement tool")

Mygréze does carry more a sense of migration or travel, while gén would be an ordinary sense of "movement". Notably, útil is preferred rather than lacá, or "permit", owing to the fact that Ilians are not required to have permission (normally) to exit the country, and they can never be prohibited from re-entering the country, but a passport stamp is still required to be applied to Ilian travel documents upon crossing the border. Similarly, since exit visas are not typically required in most countries, you wouldn't normally need permission to leave, but the exit would be recorded.
aka vampireshark
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

I guess mygréze and útil are loans from a Romance language, right?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

doctor shark wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:29 pm Notably, útil is preferred rather than lacá, or "permit", owing to the fact that Ilians are not required to have permission (normally) to exit the country, and they can never be prohibited from re-entering the country, but a passport stamp is still required to be applied to Ilian travel documents upon crossing the border. Similarly, since exit visas are not typically required in most countries, you wouldn't normally need permission to leave, but the exit would be recorded.
I don't think German border controls ever put stamps in my passport when I left my home country; this only happened on leaving in foreign countries I visited. Nowadays, the passport is scanned on exit when you use an automated control gate and maybe the data are stored somewhere (you'd assume that to be the case, but it may well be possible due to German data protection laws that the system just checks whether it is a valid German passport and doesn't store the data. I guess they absolutely store the data of foreigners, at least non-EU.)
They had exit visas for citizens in the former USSR and many successor states kept them; IIRC, Kazakhstan only abolished them at some point in the 2000s.
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

WeepingElf wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:54 pm I guess mygréze and útil are loans from a Romance language, right?
Indeed. I mean, Telèmor is a Romance-ish language, and the country that speaks it is next door...
hwhatting wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:58 am I don't think German border controls ever put stamps in my passport when I left my home country; this only happened on leaving in foreign countries I visited. Nowadays, the passport is scanned on exit when you use an automated control gate and maybe the data are stored somewhere (you'd assume that to be the case, but it may well be possible due to German data protection laws that the system just checks whether it is a valid German passport and doesn't store the data. I guess they absolutely store the data of foreigners, at least non-EU.)
They had exit visas for citizens in the former USSR and many successor states kept them; IIRC, Kazakhstan only abolished them at some point in the 2000s.
Sometimes I would get stamped for re-entering the United States, at least up through 2019 when you had to get a customs declaration card stamped upon going through passport control, though the US doesn't have formal exit controls, so no chance for stamps there.

The situation for me, a foreigner with a Dutch verblijfstitel (residence permit), is a bit unusual when entering and exiting the Schengen Area, though: in principle, I do not need to be stamped, because I have (temporarily) the right to enter and exit as I please and the stamp means that I've been given permission to enter and exit, but some countries do stamp my passport (the Netherlands, France, Belgium, and Luxembourg all have), even when I'm able to and do use the automated gates, and some countries do not (Germany, Switzerland, and Slovenia did not). I think the automated gates typically just check for passport validity and that there's a match between the photo in the passport and your mug, though storage rules also differ from country to country: with the new Entry Exit System that keeps getting delayed, the storage rules are meant to be harmonized, but who knows when that's going into effect.
aka vampireshark
doctor shark

Post by doctor shark »

Also, small changes to an older thing (including some changes to the human generator I use for photos anymore).

No microperforated photo, but a couple of other changes to security features.
aka vampireshark
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

It's not as accomplished as the other stuff here, but I think it's my first ever Venn diagram.
venn.jpg
venn.jpg (79.34 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Like our resident taxmaster doctor shark, I like to play around with graphic design—except I like making album covers for bands and releases that don't exist. I freely admit to using Midjourney and DALL•E, but maintain that it takes some effort to come up with a prompt that generates interesting results. Further, I am a typography nerd and finding the correct font is sometimes a challenge. Sometimes the names come first, sometimes the artwork; regardless, I love to share these and I would like to show some to you.

foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Raphael wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:07 pm It's not as accomplished as the other stuff here, but I think it's my first ever Venn diagram.

venn.jpg
daring presumption that they find adult cats and owls just as cute
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

How are you getting that reading? I don’t get that from it at all.
quinterbeck

Post by quinterbeck »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:37 pm Like our resident taxmaster doctor shark, I like to play around with graphic design—except I like making album covers for bands and releases that don't exist. I freely admit to using Midjourney and DALL•E, but maintain that it takes some effort to come up with a prompt that generates interesting results. Further, I am a typography nerd and finding the correct font is sometimes a challenge. Sometimes the names come first, sometimes the artwork; regardless, I love to share these and I would like to show some to you.
The shooter on the grassy knoll - Hypocrite that you are!
Which one is the band name and which the album name?
xxx

Post by xxx »

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Happy, Bashful, Dopey, Sleepy, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy (in 3SDL...)

WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Man in Space wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:37 pm Like our resident taxmaster doctor shark, I like to play around with graphic design—except I like making album covers for bands and releases that don't exist. I freely admit to using Midjourney and DALL•E, but maintain that it takes some effort to come up with a prompt that generates interesting results. Further, I am a typography nerd and finding the correct font is sometimes a challenge. Sometimes the names come first, sometimes the artwork; regardless, I love to share these and I would like to show some to you.

Those fictional album covers are awesome! Too bad the bands and albums do not actually exist ;)
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Ryusenshi

Post by Ryusenshi »

Cool covers! I'm getting a nice 70's prog rock vibe.
xxx

Post by xxx »

a cousin of mine, a quasi-professional photographer,
told me that many of his colleagues no longer take "real" photos,
but use artificial intelligence,
and that more and more it's barely indicated with peri-phrases...
but many have already seen a drop in orders and in the number of contracts,

as the artistic side of things can be replaced very advantageously
(i.e. without any purse strings attached...) by the average network user...
but after all, quality will soon be judged by artificial intelligence...

what can we do, he told me...
maybe stop publishing innovative content online...
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

WeepingElf wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:48 am

Those fictional album covers are awesome! Too bad the bands and albums do not actually exist ;)
Seconded! Those indeed are Awesome with a big A!
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Thank you all!
quinterbeck wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:14 amThe shooter on the grassy knoll - Hypocrite that you are!
Which one is the band name and which the album name?
Artist: The Shooter on the Grassy Knoll
Album: Hypocrite That You Are!
xxx

Post by xxx »

trying to translate the quote from Princess Bride: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
I've only managed to translate the first part, as this year has been so deadly for my family...

I decided to make an image in memorial...
the dead man doesn't return the heart he took...