Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Natural languages and linguistics
zompist
Site Admin

Re: Linguistic Miscellany Thread

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:02 am I don’t know about French in particular, but in general whispered speech isn’t truly voiceless, but still slightly phonated.
I don't think that's the case. You can check voicing by holding your fingers on the front of your neck. I don't get any voicing while whispering (or uttering unvoiced consonants).
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:27 am
bradrn wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:02 am I don’t know about French in particular, but in general whispered speech isn’t truly voiceless, but still slightly phonated.
I don't think that's the case. You can check voicing by holding your fingers on the front of your neck. I don't get any voicing while whispering (or uttering unvoiced consonants).
Hmm, excellent point — this is the case for me too. I guess the misconception was because for a long time I had trouble whispering. Yet one more thing to add to the list of ‘linguistics topics Wikipedia is wrong about’!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

To be fair, sometimes when people are "whispering," they're just talking very softly. I prefer to do it that way, as it feels more distinct and audible.
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Apparently Finnish has also undergone the high german consonant shift compare Proto Uralic *wete with Finnish *vesi. It's even got the *w > *v change. It's also apparently common amongst all the worlds languages.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

foxcatdog wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:36 pm Apparently Finnish has also undergone the high german consonant shift compare Proto Uralic *wete with Finnish *vesi. It's even got the *w > *v change. It's also apparently common amongst all the worlds languages.
Finnish hasn't undergone the High German shift. The word vesi shows an assibilation of *t before *i, which is also quite a common change which has nothing to do with the High German consonant shift, but also occurs, among others, in Greek.

You should not be so rash to assume such a change based on a single word.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

WeepingElf wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:09 am
foxcatdog wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:36 pm Apparently Finnish has also undergone the high german consonant shift compare Proto Uralic *wete with Finnish *vesi. It's even got the *w > *v change. It's also apparently common amongst all the worlds languages.
Finnish hasn't undergone the High German shift. The word vesi shows an assibilation of *t before *i, which is also quite a common change which has nothing to do with the High German consonant shift, but also occurs, among others, in Greek.

You should not be so rash to assume such a change based on a single word.
Someone else made the assumption not me i was clearly joking.
Kuchigakatai

Post by Kuchigakatai »

in some russian dialects the digits are named after family members
thumb - grandma
index - grandpa/mum
middle - mum/aunt/father
ring - sister/sonny/grandma
pinkie - bro/daughter
sometimes mixed in with standard nominations
apparently japanese also has alternate terminology where it's a whole family though
thumb: お父さん指 (father)
index: お母さん指 (mother)
middle: お兄さん指 (brother)
ring: お姉さん指 (sister; i missed this one earlier)
pinky: 赤ちゃん指 (baby)
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Could someone who's familiar with Armenian tell me if the change of PIE *dw > erk only occurs initially or does it occur elsewhere too?
Last edited by Jonlang on Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Jonlang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:25 am Could someone who's familiar with Albanian tell me if the change of PIE *dw > *erk only occurs initially or does it occur elsewhere too?
I believe that change is from Armenian.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

foxcatdog wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:27 am
Jonlang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:25 am Could someone who's familiar with Albanian tell me if the change of PIE *dw > *erk only occurs initially or does it occur elsewhere too?
I believe that change is from Armenian.
Shit. I'll change it.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Jonlang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:25 am Could someone who's familiar with Armenian tell me if the change of PIE *dw > erk only occurs initially or does it occur elsewhere too?
I thought I saw somewhere (in one of Nortaneous’s comments, perhaps?) that it was somewhat dubious and only attested from a single word. Never bothered to investigate it though — I’m no Indo–Europeanist.

zompist
Site Admin

Post by zompist »

bradrn wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:22 am
Jonlang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:25 am Could someone who's familiar with Armenian tell me if the change of PIE *dw > erk only occurs initially or does it occur elsewhere too?
I thought I saw somewhere (in one of Nortaneous’s comments, perhaps?) that it was somewhat dubious and only attested from a single word. Never bothered to investigate it though — I’m no Indo–Europeanist.
This change is based on several words. Hock cites:

PIE *dwо̄(w) > Arm. erku 'two'
*dwey > erkiwł 'fear'
*dwāro > erkar 'long'

DeLisi adds *h1ed-u ̯on- > erkn 'labor pains'.

The original idea goes back to Meillet. Many linguists have decided that these etymologies are spurious-- e.g. Robert Beekes in section 12.4c here.

On the other hand this paper by Jessica DeLisi refutes the refuters and accepts (and explains) the sound change.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

zompist wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:43 am On the other hand this paper by Jessica DeLisi refutes the refuters and accepts (and explains) the sound change.
Very interesting, thanks! Just a pity they felt the need to resort to Optimality Theory…

foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

*does best italian impression*

"Mamma mia actually my grand-nonnas Cionnawhatever cake is made from dough not batter and it is therefore an inappropriate question to ask "what's in the batter" you have disgraced my family"
"Also no cake for you"

(edit) i posted this in the wrong thread
Moose-tache

Post by Moose-tache »

My mind was recently blown when I learned that "atone" is not a Latinate borrowing, but literally just a compound of "at" and "one."
I did it. I made the world's worst book review blog.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Moose-tache wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:05 am My mind was recently blown when I learned that "atone" is not a Latinate borrowing, but literally just a compound of "at" and "one."
Etymonline, though, notes:
Etymonline wrote:The phrase perhaps is modeled on Latin adunare "unite," from ad "to, at" (see ad-) + unum "one."
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:16 am
Moose-tache wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:05 am My mind was recently blown when I learned that "atone" is not a Latinate borrowing, but literally just a compound of "at" and "one."
Etymonline wrote:The phrase perhaps is modeled on Latin adunare "unite," from ad "to, at" (see ad-) + unum "one."
So it's basically a calque?
dɮ the phoneme
Location: On either side of the tongue, below the alveolar ridge

Post by dɮ the phoneme »

Are Old English and Old Norse actually mutually intelligible? To what degree? I have heard conflicting things.
Ye knowe eek that, in forme of speche is chaunge
With-inne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem; and yet they spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do.

(formerly Max1461)
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:17 am
Travis B. wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:16 am
So it's basically a calque?
That's what Etymonline suggests.
Ġëbba nuġmy sik'a läka jälåsåmâxûiri mohhomijekene.
Leka ṙotammy sik'a ġëbbäri mohhomijekëlâṙáisä.
Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa. Q'omysa.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

dɮ the phoneme wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:24 pmAre Old English and Old Norse actually mutually intelligible? To what degree? I have heard conflicting things.
I'm not sure how we'd know. I know Prof. Tom Shippey (who spoke both languages) made this argument, but in the absence of empirical evidence or reliable testimony it's a purely speculative one.