Topics that can go away
Man in Space

I drank too much alcohol. AMA

Post by Man in Space »

Title
foxcatdog

Re: I drank too much alcohol. AMA

Post by foxcatdog »

I can easily drink 3 cans of cider/beer a night every night until i run out but i haven't been seriously drunk in a while which inevitably causes hangover. Also why are you drinking?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

My mother got me a bottle of 19 Crimes wine for Christmas. This is unusual in itself—my parents seem to have this conceit that if I even just look at a bottle of alcohol I will turn into my grandfather—but it came with a catch. My mom wanted me to make a recipe out of the Snoop Dogg cookbook before I opened the bottle (it was a Snoop Dogg sublabel). I made billionaire’s bacon tonight and claimed my reward.

Unfortunately I couldn’t reseal the bottle so I had to finish it lest it be wasted. I don’t drink often, which may be part of the problem.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:49 am My mother got me a bottle of 19 Crimes wine for Christmas. This is unusual in itself—my parents seem to have this conceit that if I even just look at a bottle of alcohol I will turn into my grandfather—but it came with a catch. My mom wanted me to make a recipe out of the Snoop Dogg cookbook before I opened the bottle (it was a Snoop Dogg sublabel). I made billionaire’s bacon tonight and claimed my reward.

Unfortunately I couldn’t reseal the bottle so I had to finish it lest it be wasted. I don’t drink often, which may be part of the problem.
A whole bottle of wine is that much alcohol?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Man in Space wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:33 pmTitle
How much is too much?
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

foxcatdog wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:59 amA whole bottle of wine is that much alcohol?
As I related above, my parents don’t usually look kindly on alcohol (outside of Communion wine), so I don’t have occasion to drink it often.
sangi39 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:23 amHow much is too much?
750 mL of 29-proof red wine.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Man in Space wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:26 am
foxcatdog wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:59 amA whole bottle of wine is that much alcohol?
As I related above, my parents don’t usually look kindly on alcohol (outside of Communion wine), so I don’t have occasion to drink it often.
sangi39 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:23 amHow much is too much?
750 mL of 29-proof red wine.
What's that, like 14.5%abv (the US has "proof" at twice abv, I think?), so 11 units? So about 5 pints of your average sort of 4.5% beer in the US (4.3 in the UK, apparently our pints are larger, haha). Yeah, I can imagine that, if you're not a regular drinker, that can be a *lot* (that's pretty much the point at which my brother becomes noticeably drunk and he's more or less completely teetotal as of like five years ago)

I've gotten into a poor habit of drinking 26 to 28 units (rum) in one night, once every week or two. Definitely not a good idea, but it's a combination of "there's nothing else to do around here" and probably some mental health related stuff ("drinking into oblivion" isn't a good model). Apparently North Yorkshire has some of the highest rates of alcoholism in the UK, and, yeah, I can understand why
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

How did it turn out, Man in Space?

Oddly enough, these days, most of the alcohol I drink is champagne (well, sparkling wine, to be pedantic - I honestly don't know whether I've ever drunk actual champagne in my life). However, that is not because I'm some kind of rich guy who drinks champagne all the time. No, it's because, for more than ten years, I've only rarely ever drunk alcohol, and when I do drink alcohol, it's usually because it's New Year or my birthday or someone else's birthday, and everyone is having a glass of champagne, and I'm having a glass of champagne along with everyone else.

Partly, that's because I've been at least sometimes depressed for more than fifteen years, and I decided long ago that I only want to drink alcohol when I'm feeling either happy or at least reasonably content. I don't like the idea of what might happen if I should ever get into the habit of drinking when I'm unhappy. Oh, and I'm usually on the one or other kind of medication where the package insert says "don't drink alcohol while you're taking this".
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Raphael wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:03 am How did it turn out, Man in Space?
No real lasting negative effects, other than making me feel really old as I’m not in college anymore. It did engender a few fruitful conversations with friends of varying time depth through Facebook Messenger, which was welcomed.
Torco

Post by Torco »

a full bottle of red wine is a lot of wine for anyone. it's better if it's good wine, but tbh wine hangovers are pretty strong, I think. may the force be with you, man in space.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Hope you're feeling OK! As Torco said, red wine hangovers are nasty.

In case this tricks helps anyone, you can put an opened bottle of red wine in the fridge (putting the cork back in an half-assed fashion will help too). It'll keep for a few days.
I like a glass or two at dinner so I bought a special stopper for that sort of thing.

Also, Snoop Dogg makes wine? I need to buy some of that.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Yeah, no hangover here.

I’m legitimately more than a bit surprised that a full 750 mL bottle is considered a significant quantity. My friends (at least those whom I know to partake) regularly drink similar amounts, or so it seems.

I lack a lot of context for things, as you can no doubt tell.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:24 am Also, Snoop Dogg makes wine? I need to buy some of that.
Is there anyone in France who sells North American wines?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

At the restaurant-attached bar where I used to work, we left the bottles of certain (dry) red wines on the counter (these were the ones we served at room temperature; it also never took more than a day or two to use up the bottle); we mostly served older people who liked a glass or two, a beer, or some fruity mixed drink with dinner, so there wasn't heavy drinking going on or anything.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:31 am
Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:24 am Also, Snoop Dogg makes wine? I need to buy some of that.
Is there anyone in France who sells North American wines?
Yep, though it's easier to order them online. I never bought any (I've had Argentinian and Chilean read, though), for various reasons but chiefly: they're very expensive. I hear that French reds are awfully expensive in the US too -- that's protectionism for you.
Man in Space

Post by Man in Space »

Ares Land wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:24 amAlso, Snoop Dogg makes wine? I need to buy some of that.
Enjoy.

There’s also the Snoop Dogg & Martha Stewart 2-pack.
Torco

Post by Torco »

(I've had Argentinian and Chilean read, though)
*clasps pearls*
to see both in the same breath
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Torco wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:37 pm
(I've had Argentinian and Chilean read, though)
*clasps pearls*
to see both in the same breath
My apologies! I'm firmly of the belief that wine tastes different when the grapes grew on the other side of the hill, so I can see how I hurt you, even unknowingly.
foxcatdog

Post by foxcatdog »

I've heard from french that france isn't that good for wine growing compared to california or even italy or spain (presumably) due to climate and that top american winemakers are often of french origin. Is this true? (Note california wines outperform french wines in blind taste tests).

Wine btw is quite cheap here and i heard it is to deal with imports which have less variable growing seasons.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

France is at the northern colder (let's keep the Southern Hemisphere in mind) range of grape growing regions. Grapes are not as productive as they are in warmer climes.

Champagne is about as far north as the common grape vine grows.

It's not necessarily a problem for wine making. The cultivars are adapted to the climate; lower yields and smaller quantity can lead to higher quality. Global warming is a source of mixed feelings. Generally hot summers correlate with good years for wine, quality could suffer though.

There are a lot of French winemakers working in US vineyards (and elsewhere in the world) in any case.

Napa valley reds can indeed outperform French reds, though it's old news. (It was a shock, back in the 70s)
Other than that the question of which of France, California, Italy or Spain produces the best wine isn't settled one way or the other. If you ask me it's not a very interesting question anyway: variety is part of the appeal.

Here in France prices range from very cheap to very expensive; it all depends on what you're looking for. You can find some very good wine under 10 euros.

Personally, I like the variety in years and growing season is part of the appeal. More standardized wine isn't as interesting IMO.