How would you rate the chance of flat-earthism becoming a serious thing soon?

Topics that can go away
Raphael

Re: How would you rate the chance of flat-earthism becoming a serious thing soon?

Post by Raphael »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:21 am
The flat earth thing (flatism?) is fairly innocuous though, unless you're designing satellites. The kind of people who believe pedophile nazis masons secretly rule the world are a lot more dangerous.
On the other hand, "flatism" is arguably a lot more different from the "mainstream" view of how the world works than pretty much anything else.
Torco

Re: How would you rate the chance of flat-earthism becoming a serious thing soon?

Post by Torco »

ya they're not masons 8-)

my hollow earther happened to be a spiritual nazi that was like "hitler wasn't trying to do the evil shit he did, he just had to cause he was under attack. what he really wanted was to find the inner world... what? no, nothing spiritual, the world inside the world, hence, inner world, you know". flatism is similarly superficially trivial (it doesn't really matter if the earth is flat most of the time, does it?) but if you dig just a little bit, you find that flatists are also evangelical ultraconservative antivaxers and genocidal towards, I don't know, aerospace engineers or whatever. conspiracies are wack.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Yeah, it's likely flat-earthers believe in pedonazi elites on top of it. I don't think you can really just kind of stop at 'the earth is flat.'
rotting bones

Post by rotting bones »

I remember when I used to go to school, the bus used to go by the race track. Someone had graffitied detailed arguments for a flat earth on the fence with white paint. It was up there for years. Whoever had done it had obviously studied physics. I can't remember what the argument was, only that it was obviously wrong and bits of it might have been railing against "western science".

A lot of these kinds of conspiracy theorists feel like they have no control over their lives, and they are desperately trying to claw back some power in the only way they know how: by asserting, "I know what I see!" It's true that many of them are regressives of one sort or another. One flat earther on YouTube said he's a moderate because he doesn't support wiping out non-whites in their own countries.