British Politics Guide

Topics that can go away
Ares Land

Re: British Politics Guide

Post by Ares Land »

Listening to Trump going on and on about how great he is while keeping a stiff upper lip must be incredibly painful. Nobody deserves that!
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:03 pmListening to Trump going on and on about how great he is while keeping a stiff upper lip must be incredibly painful. Nobody deserves that!
If you can't take the heat, give back the Koh-i-Noor and become an ordinary organic farmer.
bradrn

Post by bradrn »

Ares Land wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:03 pm Listening to Trump going on and on about how great he is while keeping a stiff upper lip must be incredibly painful. Nobody deserves that!
Even worse— she had to listen to Boris Johnson every week for three years!
Conlangs: Scratchpad | Texts | antilanguage
Software: See http://bradrn.com/projects.html
Other: Ergativity for Novices

(Why does phpBB not let me add >5 links here?)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Wait, do I get this right that the British government just cancelled their planned highest-income-bracket tax cut? A conservative government that can't even successfully pass a tax cut for the rich? What is the world coming to?
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

One with better sense than usual.
Travis B.

Post by Travis B. »

Raphael wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:52 am Wait, do I get this right that the British government just cancelled their planned highest-income-bracket tax cut? A conservative government that can't even successfully pass a tax cut for the rich? What is the world coming to?
This probably only happened because they happened to tank the valuation of the pound overnight by even suggesting it.
Yaaludinuya siima d'at yiseka ha wohadetafa gaare.
Ennadinutha gaare d'ate ha eetatadi siiman.
T'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa t'awraa.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

I don't really know how to make sense of it, but following British Twitter is quite an experience.

I'm also amused by the sudden spur of popularity of King Charles.
Jonlang

Post by Jonlang »

Travis B. wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:05 am
Raphael wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:52 am Wait, do I get this right that the British government just cancelled their planned highest-income-bracket tax cut? A conservative government that can't even successfully pass a tax cut for the rich? What is the world coming to?
This probably only happened because they happened to tank the valuation of the pound overnight by even suggesting it.
The near-rioting in Birmingham (at the Conservative Party conference) probably didn't help either. Jacob Rees-Mogg is a disgusting person, btw.
Twitter won't let me access my @Jonlang_ account, so I've moved to Mastodon: @jonlang@mastodon.social
alice

Post by alice »

Jonlang wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 pm Jacob Rees-Mogg is a disgusting person, btw.
Although he has said he welcomes fracking in his back garden.
I can no longer come up with decent signatures.
Rounin Ryuuji

Post by Rounin Ryuuji »

That sounds like a rather bad thing to welcome.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

But why? The people who work on "the markets", and who determine how "the markets" react to events, strike me as the kind of people who would normally welcome tax cuts for the rich.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am
Travis B. wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:05 amThis probably only happened because they happened to tank the valuation of the pound overnight by even suggesting it.
But why? The people who work on "the markets", and who determine how "the markets" react to events, strike me as the kind of people who would normally welcome tax cuts for the rich.
Tax cuts have to be paid for somehow and the math simply didn't add up. (It still doesn't; the specific tax cut on higher incomes only accounted for about £2 billion of a budget shortfall estimated at more than £40 billion.) Even some rich people understand that you can only squeeze ordinary consumers so much before the economy breaks.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am
The UK already suffers from inflation. In practical terms, this means there are not enough good and services around to meet demand. This is due to many issues -- production capability hasn't recovered from COVID, there's not enough energy to go around and produce things plus Brexit means Britain can't import as much or as good a price as it used to. (Oversimplifying here, but you get the idea.)

As far as I can see, Truss had the idea of fixing this by voodoo economics. You give money to the rich, they work their magic and production restarts.

Rich people who hold pounds, though, don't really believe in magic any more than we do. What they saw is that people in the UK would get some extra pounds to spend (less taxes) but still have to spend it on insufficient good and services (because the underlying issues are still there and the government has no apparent plan to fix these besides magic.) So even more inflation.
Then there's the budget shortfall, which would definitely lead to more economic trouble -- most likely, inflation again.

So rich folks that hold pounds hurried to sell them before inflation finished making these pounds worthless. Lots of people selling pounds, well, yeah, the pound tanks.

They might have been interested in tax cuts in principle, of course, but there was still money to be made in selling pounds.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

That you, Linguoboy and Ares Land, that helped me understand it.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

So they made Kwarteng the fall guy. Figures.
evmdbm

Post by evmdbm »

It's the year of the four chancellors, but will it be the year of the three prime ministers? You couldn't make it up...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

According to the BBC, while the shortest-serving UK Chancellor was some guy who died of a heart attack in 1970 after 30 days on the job, the second-, third-, and fourth shortest serving UK Chancellors after World War 2 all served under Johnson or Truss.

Meanwhile, reports are that "senior Tories" want Truss out - but how could they make her leave if she doesn't want to?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Hunt.

Edit: Has it been confirmed that he accepts the job? Not sure if I'd do that if I were him.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Ok, so the House of Commons isn't meeting today. Too bad. Might have been fun if it had.

But there'll be a "general debate", officially about a petition to have an early election, on Monday.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Oh man, if you had told me a month ago that a conservative head of government would end up in a position where they might be forced out of office as a result of the blowback triggered by trying to enact bog standard fantasy world right-wing economic policies...