Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Natural languages and linguistics
jal

Re: Language Practice (Help your fluency)

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:14 pmDeze romaan ontbreekt in mijn verzameling.
(Kein Zeit etwas zu schreiben)
(No time to write something)

JAL
azhong

Post by azhong »

Sind das Sätze aus einer Erzählung?
Are these sentences from a story?
No
Bukan
不是

Einen Hammer borgte/lieh ich (mir) von Thomas aber er lieh ihn mir nicht.
(I borrowed a hammer from Thomas (for me) but he didn’t lend it to me.)
borgen and leihen both imply that you that the act was successful. Also, in colloquial German the perfect is used here, and in this case I'd also prefer it in written German.
Ich wollte mir von Thomas einen Hammer borgen/leihen, aber er hat ihn mir nicht geliehen.
(I wanted to borrowed a hammer from Thomas (for me) but he didn’t lend it to me.)
More: show
(sich.DAT) etw.ACC (von jmdm.) borgen/leihen: borrow
jmdm. etw.ACC leihen: lend | lieh, geliehen |
–c.f. bleiben: stay; blieb, geblieben
Seither habe ich oft darüber nachgedacht, warum Thomas mir seinen Hammer nicht leihen wollte. Das habe ich oft überlegt*.
Seither habe ich mich oft darüber gewundert,.... Darüber habe ich oft nachgedacht.
The second sentence sounded awkward / unidiomatic; I propose to use sich wundern in the first sentence, so that you can use nachdenken in the second.

(Since then I've often wondered/reflected/pondered about why Thomas didn't want to lend me his hammer. I've often thought/pondered about it.
(über etw.ACC) nachdenken: reflect on sth | dachte nach, nachgedacht |
etw.ACC überlegen: consider, contemplate sth. | überlegte, überlegt |
sich.ACC wundern: wonder
Mein Bruder schlägt vor, dass ich zu Thomas gehen und ihn fragen kann soll. Aber ich befürchte, dass es die Situation schlimmer macht.
(My brother suggests I can should go to ask Thomas. But I fear it will make the situation worse.
der Bruder pl. Brüder
vorschlagen: du schlägst vor
befürchten (, dass ...): fear that | befürchtete, befürchtet |
die Situation; -en
Last edited by azhong on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
WarpedWartWars

Post by WarpedWartWars »

I can only think of one sentence in German:

Ich habe Durst.
I'm thirsty.

Edit: Why did I forget it's "I have thirst" and not "I am thirsty"?
Last edited by WarpedWartWars on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tɑ tɑ tɑ tɑ θiθɾ eɾloθ tɑ moew θerts olɑrk siθe
of of of of death abyss of moew kingdom sand witch-PLURAL
The witches of the desert of the kingdom of Moew of the Abyss of Death

tɑ toɾose koɾot tsɑx
of apple-PLURAL magic cold
cold magic of apples
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

hwhatting wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:46 am Ich bin ein ziemlicher Neuling in der Digitalkunstneuling*4), obwohl ich gar nicht so übel zeichne. Und bin ich etwas perfektionistisch*5), daher/deswegen/deshalb brauche*6) ich länger als andere Menschen.
I'm pretty new to digital art, although I'm not bad at drawing. And I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm taking longer than other people.
I just noted that a mistake escaped me, it's Und ich bin... - conjunctions don't trigger verb-second.

@jal: Dank je wel!
hwhatting

Post by hwhatting »

azhong wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:51 am Einen Hammer borgte/lieh ich (mir) von Thomas, aber er lieh*1) ihn mir nicht.
(I borrowed a hammer from Thomas (for me) but he didn’t lend it to me.)
I don't think that this works even in English, but it certainly doesn't work in German - borgen and leihen both imply that you that the act was successful. You need to say Ich wollte mir von Thomas einen Hammer borgen / leihen, aber... ("I wanted to borrow a hammer from Thomas, but...")
*1) In colloquial German the perfect is used here, and in this case I'd also prefer it in written German - er hat ihn mir nicht geliehen.
Seither habe ich mich oft darüber gewundert, warum Thomas mir seinen Hammer nicht leihen wollte. Darüber habe ich oft nachgedacht.
(Since then I've often wondered/reflected/pondered about why Thomas didn't want to lend me his hammer. I've often thought/pondered about it.
The second sentence in your translation sounded awkward / unidiomatic; I propose to use sich wundern in the first sentence, so that you can use nachdenken in the second.
Mein Bruder schlägt vor, dass ich zu Thomas gehen und ihn fragen soll. Aber ich befürchte, dass es die Situation schlimmer macht.
(My brother suggests I can go to ask Thomas. But I fear it will make the situation worse.
Linguoboy

Post by Linguoboy »

azhong wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:21 amThe dark red quilt penetrated by the body odors of many other people; an old, gray thermos bottle made of a plastic :?: shell/casing/covering[1] and a mercury-coated inside, its cap the shape of a monk’s hat; several glasses, printed with the red (Chinese) characters “HeySong Soda”*, placed upside-down on the stainless plate on the small table; the small TV, practically more like a decoration, of which the screen of which showed fuzzy human-shaped figures that flew like liquid and the liquid differed as you switched the channel; without a central air conditioning, a one-tonne Koolin** cooler of which corpses of termites fully piled on the leaves in the vent[2]–such a shabby, small chamber full of dust mites was also able to hazily evoke his enchanting imagination[3] of calling a prostitute atin a strange place.
[*]“HeySong Soda” is a famous brand of soda in Taiwan in the late last century.
[**] Koolin is a well-known brand of coolers in Taiwan at the same period.
(那淪浹了許多別人體味的暗紅薄被、灰舊的塑膠殼水銀膽僧帽熱水瓶,小几上不銹鋼盤倒扣著幾隻印了紅字黑松汽水的玻璃杯,或那台權作擺設的螢幕隨轉台展演不同液態流動模糊人形的小電視,沒有中央空調而出風口葉片積滿白蟻屍骸的歌林一噸冷氣……這樣塵蟃滿佈的寒酸小閉室,亦能朦朧召喚他「在一陌生地召妓」的旖旎想像。
1. "made of" generally refers to the composition of the entire object. So I might describe a thermos as "made of plastic and metal", but if I'm going to get more specific about the composition of each component, I'd phrase it differently. Either it's a plastic thermos with a metallic[*] coating or a metal thermos with a plastic cover.

2. "Cooler" in US English generally refers to a beverage cooler or "portable ice chest". An exception is a "swamp cooler", which is a particular kind of air-cooling device. Otherwise we'd call a device whose function is to cool the interior of a room an "air conditioner" or "air conditioning unit".

This phrasing with "of which" is particularly awkward. I'd prefer something like "a one-tonne Koolin AC unit, its vent heaped with termite corpses on a bed of dead leaves" or something to that effect.

3. "Imagination" is abstract and generally non-countable except when referring to the imaginative powers of an individual, e.g. "You have a wild imagination", so you need some other word here. I'm not sure what, though, because I can't tell what's being evoked. Is this a fantasy of something which hasn't happened or is it a memory?

[*] Are you sure it's "mercury"? This generally isn't used in the manufacture of anything that will be holding food or drink because it's toxic to humans.
azhong

Post by azhong »

Mein linkes Bein hat eine hässliche Narbe von einer Brandwunde.
(My left leg has an ugly scar from a burn.
Sie sehe ich immer jeden Morgen jeden Morgen, wobei wenn ich aufwache und mich anziehe.
(I always see it every morning when I wake up and get myself dressed.

Wir haben vor, den Hügel morgen zu besteigen und für eine Nacht in einem Zelt am Gipfel abzusteigen.
c.f. Google Translate:
Wir planen, morgen auf den Hügel zu steigen und uns für eine Nacht in einem Zelt auf dem Gipfel niederzulassen.
(We plan to climb to the hilltop tomorrow and put us up in a tent on the summit for one night.
einen Hügel besteigen: to climb to the top of a hill
– der Hügel: hill; -
– etw.ACC besteigen: climb sth | bestieg, bestiegen |
das Zelt: tent; -e
der Gipfel: summit pl. -
absteigen | stieg ab, abgestiegen |
sich.ACC niederlassen: [let down] settle | ließ nieder, niedergelassen |
Last edited by azhong on Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pls help delete my account if I haven't logged in for more than half a year. Thank you.
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

azhong wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 am Mein linke Bein hat eine hässliche Narbe einen Brandwunde.
Mein linkes Bein hat eine hässliche Narbe von einer Brandwunde.
(My left leg has an ugly scar from a burn.
Sie sehe ich immer jeden Morgen, wobei ich aufwache und mich anziehe.
(I always see it every morning when I wake up and get myself dressed.
Sie sehe ich jeden Morgen, wenn ich aufwache und mich anziehe.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
jal

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:51 am@jal: Dank je wel!
Gern geschehen :).
You're welcome :).

JAL
Qwynegold

Post by Qwynegold »

azhong wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:54 pmHaben ihr in diesen Nächten den Vollmond am Himmel bemerkt?
(Have you noticed the full moon in the sky these nights?
あぅ、私は気づいたよ。大きい!スーパー月だそうだ。
Ah, watashi wa kizuita yo. Ōkii! Suupaa-tsuki da sō da.
Ah, I have noticed. It's big! They call it a super moon.
azhong

Post by azhong »

Gestern bin Ich mit meiner Mutter Fahrrad gefahren und dann gewandert.
Gestern fuhr ich Fahrrad und dann wanderte mit meiner Mutter.
(I went biking and then hiking with my mom yesterday.)
Fahrrad fahren: go biking
– fahren | fuhr, gefahren |
Wandern gehen: go hiking
-- wandern: wander, hike
– das Wandern: no pl.
-- gehen | ging, gegangen |
Gestern war hier in Taiwan eher heiß. Und der Weg war auch weit.
(It was rather hot here in Taiwan yesterday. And the route was far, too.)
Es war für meine alte Mutter weniger eine gemütliche Reise als eine harte Schulungsmappe.
(It was less a cozy trip than a hard training session for my old mom.
die Reise: trip
die Schulungsmappe
– die Schulung: training course
– die Mappe: file, holder

Kannst du mir helfen? Ich brauche 10 Euro, um meiner Schwester ein Geburtstagsgeschenk und mir eine Bahnkarte ins Hause zu kaufen. Kannst du mir das Geld leihen? Tu mir bitte den Gefallen.
(Can you help me? I need 10 euros to buy my sister a birthday present and me a train ticket home. Can you lend me the money? Do me the favor, please.)
jmdm. helfen | half, geholfen |
der Geburtstag: birthday; -e
das Geschenk: gift; -e
der Gefallen: favor; pl. -
die Bahnkarte: train ticket
azhong

Post by azhong »

Kürzlich werde ich leicht verdrossen, vielleicht weil das Wetter in letzter Zeit so heiß ist.
(Recently I get annoyed/peevish easily, perhaps because the weather has been so hot these days.
Lass dich durch heißes Wetter nicht (r)unterkriegen.
(Don't let yourself [catch under]/get down by hot weather; don't let hot weather get you down.)
das Wetter: weather; no pl.
sth. verdrießen sb. : sth ärgern sb, | verdross, verdrossen |
sich.ACC unterkriegen lassen [coll.]: to let sth. get one down [coll.]

peevish: easily annoyed
get to someone: to annoy or upset someone
Last edited by azhong on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

azhong wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:17 am Kürzlich werde ich leicht verdrossen, vielleicht weil das Wetter in letzter Zeit so heiß ist.
(Recently I get annoyed/peevish easily, perhaps because the weather has been so hot these days.
Lass dich durch heißes Wetter nicht verdrießen. [or: nicht runterkriegen.]
(Don't let hot weather get to you.
das Wetter: weather; no pl.
sth. verdrießen sb. : sth ärgern sb, | verdross, verdrossen |

peevish: easily annoyed
get to someone: to annoy or upset someone
azhong

Post by azhong »

(Gr-En)
Als Sam mit seinem Fahrrad durch Straßen und Alleen nach Hause fuhr, wanderte/überlegte er, ob er seinem Vater sagen mochte, was heute in der Schule geschehen war.
(Riding his bike home through streets and alleys, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what had happened at school today.
die Allee: alley
geschehen: to happen | geschah, sein geschehen |

(En-Ch)
(I've translated a sentence from a Chinese novel. Adding it together with the two previous passages in "more" becomes the complete, beginning paragraph of the novel. )
He was young back then, so young that he felt all were nothing but fresh--checking in alone, staying in the room alone, and waking up the next morning in that cheap guest house--and didn't feel any sore or tired, feelings a traveler might have as sleeping in an unfamiliar bed.
那時他那麽年輕,年輕到孤自一人從登記房間、獨臥一室,到第二日清晨在那廉價旅館醒來,一切皆新鮮而無有客途陌生床鋪之酸疼疲憊。 (<西夏旅館> by 駱以軍。)
The quilt penetrated by body odor of many other people; a thermos with a plastic casing and a mercury glass inner layer, its cap the shape of a Chinese monk’s hat; several glasses placed upside-down on the stainless plate on the small table; the small TV, practically more like a decoration, the screen of which showed liquid, fuzzy human shapes that differed as you switched the channel; without central air conditioning, a one-tonne A/C unit, its vent heaped with termite corpses on a bed of dead leaves – such a shabby, small chamber full of dust mites was also able to hazily evoke his enchanting fantasy of calling a prostitute in a strange place.
那淪浹了許多別人體味的暗紅薄被、灰舊的塑膠殼水銀膽僧帽熱水瓶,小几上不銹鋼盤倒扣著幾隻印了紅字黑松汽水的玻璃杯,或那台權作擺設的螢幕隨轉台展演不同液態流動模糊人形的小電視,沒有中央空調而出風口葉片積滿白蟻屍骸的歌林一噸冷氣……這樣塵蟃滿佈的寒酸小閉室,亦能朦朧召喚他「在一陌生地召妓」的旖旎想像。
It stood mainly because he was too young and thus had no burdens of memory. At the moment having entered an empty street in an unfamiliar town, he could immediately become a well constructed element in that scene of a watercolor painting. Being placed in a hotel room with no history, with neither taste nor particular attention to aesthetics, he could also cheerfully blend his body odor, with a good rapport, into the shadily moldy smell that filled the house.
主要是他太年輕了,沒有記憶的垂累,他到一陌生小城的空曠街景,馬上能成為那樣一幅水彩畫的構圖元素;他置身在一無有身世歷史、無品味無講究的旅館房間,亦能安愜融洽地將自己的體味混在那一屋子陰涼黴舊的氣味中。
azhong

Post by azhong »

Es hatte ein König drei Söhne, die alle klug und warmherzig waren, sodass der alte König nicht wusste, welchen er als nächsten König wählen sollte.
(A king had three sons, who were all smart and warm-hearted, so that the old king didn’t know whom he should choose as the next king.
der König: king; -e
Sohn: son; Söhne
klug: clever, wise
warm: warm
das Herz; -en
wissen | wusste, gewusst |
etw. (aus)wählen: choose | wählte, gewählt |

(The beginning paragraph of "The town" (1950) by American novelist Conrad Richter(1809-1968).)
Sayward erwachte an diesem Tag mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen.
(Sayward awoke this day with the feeling that something had happened to her.
erwachen: awake
das Gefühl; -e
– fühlen:
Was es war, wusste sie noch nicht, oder ob es besser oder schlimmer war, aber in ihr war eine Änderung geschehen.
(What it was, she didn’t know as yet, or if it was for better or for worse, but inside of her a change had taken place.
die Änderung: change
Sie war nicht mehr dieselbe wie letzter Monat oder letztes Jahr nicht. So viel konnte sie sagte.
(She wasn’t the same as last month or last year. That much she could tell.
der Monat; -e
Last edited by azhong on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

azhong wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:31 pm Es hatte ein König drei Söhne, die alle klug und warmherzig waren, sodass der alte König nicht wusste, welchen er als nächsten König wählen sollte.
(A king had three sons, who were all smart and warm-hearted, so that the old king didn’t know whom he should choose as the next king.
der König: king; -e
Sohn: son; Söhne
klug: clever, wise
warm: warm
die Persönlichkeit: personality; -en
wissen | wusste, gewusst |
etw. (aus)wählen: choose | wählte, gewählt |

(The beginning paragraph of "The town" (1950) by American novelist Conrad Richter(1809-1968).)
Sayward erwachte an disem Tag Tag mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen.
(Sayward awoke this day with the feeling that something had happened to her.
erwachen: awake
das Gefühl; -e
– fühlen:
Was es war, wusste sie noch nicht, oder ob es besser oder schlimmer war, aber in ihr war eine Änderung geschehen.
(What it was, she didn’t know as yet, or if it was for better or for worse, but inside of her a change had taken place.
die Änderung: change
Sie war nicht mehr dieselbe wie letzten Monat or letztes Jahr. So viel konnte sie sagte.
(She wasn’t the same as last month or last year. That much she could tell.
der Monat; -e
(Kleine kulturelle Anmerkung zum König und seinen Söhnen: das war, historisch gesehen, in den meisten westlichen Monarchien selten ein Problem, weil es in der Regel ziemlich strenge Thronfolgeregeln gab, die meistens (aber nicht immer) auch eingehalten wurden. Sogar wenn das bedeutete, dass ein neugeborenes Baby auf den Thron kam, und jemand anders im Namen dieses Babies regieren musste, bis es volljährig war.)

(A little cultural remark on the king and his sons: that was, historically speaking, seldom a problem in most Western monarchies, because there were usually pretty strict rules of succession, which were followed most of the time (but not always). Even when that meant that a newborn baby got onto the throne and someone else had to govern in that baby's name until they came of age.)

Zu "The Town": Normalerweise würde ich statt "mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen" "mit dem Gefühl, dass etwas mit ihr geschehen war" schreiben, aber in einem Roman geht auch "mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen".

On "The Town": Usually I'd write "mit dem Gefühl, dass etwas mit ihr geschehen war" instead of "mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen", but in a novel, "mit dem Gefühl, etwas war mit ihr geschehen" works, too.
azhong

Post by azhong »

Ich habe Ihnen die Zeit berichtet gesagt, zu der Sie mich Morgen früh aufzuwachen sollen.
(I’ve told you the time when you should wake me up tomorrow morning.
jmdm. etw.ACC berichten:to report sth
jmdm. etw.ACC sagen: to say sth
aufwachen
Aber jetzt habe ich mich entschlossen, sie zu ändern, weil ich früher aufwachen muss.
(But now I’ve decided to change it because I’ll have to get up earlier.
sich.ACC entschließen
ändern
– die Änderung
Erinnern Merken Sie sich bitte die Änderung und rufen Sie mich Morgen früh mich pünktlich an. Danke schön.
(Please remember the change and call me on time tomorrow morning. Thank you.
sich (an jmdn.) erinnern: remember (sb)
sich.DAT etw.ACC merken: keep sth. in mind
anrufen: to telephone sb
-- rufen: to call, shout sb | rief, gerufen |
pünktlich: punctual
Last edited by azhong on Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

azhong wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:50 pm Ich habe Ihnen die Zeit gesagt, zu der sie mich morgen früh aufwecken sollen.
(I’ve told you the time when I need you to wake me up tomorrow morning.
jmdm. etw.ACC berichten
– sagen: vt. to say sth; vi. to tell
aufwachen
Aber jetzt habe ich mich entschlossen, sie zu ändern, weil ich früher aufwachen muss.
(But now I’ve decided to change it because I’ll have to get up earlier.
sich.ACC entschließen
ändern
– die Änderung
Merken sie sich bitte die Änderung und rufen Sie mich Morgen früh mich pünktlich an. Danke schön.
(Please remember the change and call me on time tomorrow morning. Thank you.
sich (an jmdn.) erinnern: remember (sb)
rufen: to call, shout sb | rief, gerufen |
pünktlich: punctual
"Sie" wird in Briefen großgeschrieben, aber nicht, wenn man andere Texte aufschreibt.
"Sie" is capitalized in letters, but not when writing down other texts.
Ares Land

Post by Ares Land »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:52 am "Sie" wird in Briefen großgeschrieben, aber nicht, wenn man andere Texte aufschreibt.
Man lernt nie aus!
WeepingElf

Post by WeepingElf »

Raphael wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:52 am "Sie" wird in Briefen großgeschrieben, aber nicht, wenn man andere Texte aufschreibt.
Nein, das ist nicht die Regel.
'No, that is not the rule.'

"Sie" wird großgeschrieben als höfliches Pronomen der zweiten Person.
'"Sie" is capitalized as the polite second person pronoun.'

Als Pronomen der dritten Person Plural wird es klein geschrieben.
'As third person person plural it is not capitalized.'

Ganz egal, ob in einem Brief oder nicht.
'No matter whether in a letter or not.'
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages